Sponsored

Is Tonneau Cover Necessary?

mtngoat92081

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Max Tow, Mazdaspeed 3
I was watching a video review of Gladiator a while back and the guy said to definitely invest in the tonneau cover. He said one of the things he didn't like about the JT Is that with the top down, debris like leaves, dirt, etc. that collect in the bed of the truck blow into the cabin when driving at higher speeds like on the freeway or anything above 45 mph. Anyone experience this? I originally had ordered mine with the tonneau but last minute nixed it to save $500.
Sponsored

The Bean

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S (Sold)
I don’t have a bed cover, and haven’t noticed this occurring. Truck is parked outside so stuff falls into the bed, but I’ve never seen anything actually fly out while driving.

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
No but nice to have.

Good ones you can secure stuff in the bed.

but even cheaper ones at a minimum protect the bed liner, add weather resistance to luge (for example).

Shackleton

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, Camry
I bought a trifold TYGER that was used for a couple of months on Craigslist for $80.00 when I was n a bind to use the bed for luggage to go on vacation. the quality is pretty good even if I had paid retail at about $200. I like having it and have had them on past trucks

Sponsored

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
I was watching a video review of Gladiator a while back and the guy said to definitely invest in the tonneau cover. He said one of the things he didn't like about the JT Is that with the top down, debris like leaves, dirt, etc. that collect in the bed of the truck blow into the cabin when driving at higher speeds like on the freeway or anything above 45 mph. Anyone experience this? I originally had ordered mine with the tonneau but last minute nixed it to save $500.
In rare cases is a vehicle, or anything you add to it, an "investment" - at least in terms of being able to sell it for a profit later. I'm just nit picking. I get what you're saying.

When I had a pickup with no bed cover I would always get debris/leaves/etc blowing back into the cab when the rear sliding window was open. I'm not sure if the same would happen if you have the top fully off, but yes definitely was a thing in my Ram 1500 with the slider open.

You'll have loads of aftermarket options available for tonneau covers, or even if you want the Jeep one I bet you can find it new or used. $500 is a decent savings. Drive it for a while as-is and see if debris is a problem, and if so, get a tonneau. I think you made a good choice saving $500 if you were not certain about the need.

I was on the fence about the tonneau too, ended up getting it and am very happy with it. On a couple Rams I had Truxedo low profiles and was extremely happy (not sure if they offer one for the JT; I haven't checked).

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I've had multiple trucks, some with, most without. Those without always got dirt, leaves and stuff in the back and if you parked in certain places or cities, that included McDonalds garbage from other people.
It's a PERSONAL choice. No one can tell you it's necessary or not - only how they feel about it for them and their needs and preferences.
Frankly, I like them because they keep debris out while driving OR parked. When you get leaves and crud in there and it gets wet - it rots and stains.
It also allows me to be out and about and keep things in the back out of view, or protected from RAIN and in Iowa, SNOW! I don't like snow and ice build-up back there.
I will always have one.
I prefer rollup as I don't like the fact that others prevent having full access to the whole bed (save for the part that's rolled up)
My neighbor and I compared his tri-fold setup to my roll-up and he's moved to roll-up also not liking the fact that the front part was always taken by part of the cover.
My preferences and opinions, nothing more or less.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t have a bed cover, and haven’t noticed this occurring. Truck is parked outside so stuff falls into the bed, but I’ve never seen anything actually fly out while driving.
Things generally move FORWARD when you have no cover. Leaves, paper, whatever, blows to the front of the bed, only out if it can't blow forward or is clear to the back.

Sponsored

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
Not necessary. But I love having mine. Tyger tri-fold soft. $200. Well worth it. Things stay dry in the bed, even through many automatic car washings.
It has a metal frame for support, came with hardware to mount to Trail Rail system, stick on gasket for the front of bed, tie down straps when folded open, and a cheap bag for storage. It's light and easily removed if I need the full bed. It poured overnight on a recent camp trip and my tools and chain saw stayed dry as a bone.
Jeep Gladiator Is Tonneau Cover Necessary? puam1

Jeep Gladiator Is Tonneau Cover Necessary? hrjt

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L

Oil_Burner

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, Explorer, Prius, C6, Diesel Pusher MH
Occupation
Engineer
Are you flat towing the Gladiator behind the motorhome? If so, what did you do about brackets for the tow bar?

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
Are you flat towing the Gladiator behind the motorhome? If so, what did you do about brackets for the tow bar?
Yes. I use Maximus-3 tow loops. One of the limited options available if you are running a low profile winch mount between the frame rails. I like them, and they have been working great. Some pics on my build thread link.

OP
OP
mtngoat92081

mtngoat92081

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Max Tow, Mazdaspeed 3
Good to know that it isn't a problem for most. It just didn't occur to me to think about this when the top is off! I have an F-150 now with no cover and as @wannajeep said, I've experienced debris flying through the rear slider window at speed.

Fact is, I should have just ordered it and paid the extra $500. I live in SoCal and wanted a soft top because I never intend to actually have the top on, but I commute early in the AM and it gets a little chilly in the morning so I want to be able to have it on in the am, but open it when I am on the way home. It's next to impossible to find a soft top around here on the dealer lot with the options I want. It was easier, and cheaper, to order my max tow loaded with options (well, except the tonneau... lol) and with a soft top.

I'll definitely be looking for one in the parts for sale section soon after delivery. Will be nice to keep out the snow and weather when I go up in the mountains this winter.
Sponsored