Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
So, I'm not anti ev at all, but apartment complexes are a problem, and street side parking in regular houses too for now. When I lived in an apartment, I had to park on the side of the road, and not in lined parking spots with meters. Just on the side of the road, barely out of the way of traffic. It will be a long time before side street curb parking is ready for ev charging in middle of nowhere America. I think charging for those using curbside will be the biggest need for infrastructure. I'm not talking lined parallel spots in the city, but I'm talking small town America, both main street and side streets. It has to happen though.
You’re definitely right about that. I was primarily referring to apartments and condos with off street parking lots. Companies like ChargePoint will actually deal with the complex management, and many times do the install for free. They do that in exchange for the nominal price per kilowatt for charging. They pay for the electricity and charge your account per kilowatt. It ends up being very close to the cost of it hitting your electric bill, and much less than price at the gas pump.

There’s no question that municipalities need to prioritize street parking chargers in infrastructure projects. That will only come from people telling city councils that they want it. Voters have a voice. That’s a big reason why I take the time to participate in these discussions. If voters don’t ask for this, it won’t get done.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Wow. We’re on our 5th plug-in, so know a thing or two about them. We’ve yet to explode, and each EV adds an average of $20-40 of electric bill. How much do you spend on gas or diesel per month at $50 per fill up or more? You’re spouting nonsense. It also seems like you’re not very knowledgeable about single phase A/C power. It’s not 40-90. It’s 40 for level 2. Period. That’s 8awg wire from your panel and a charger that costs around $500 or less. Average houses have a 200amp circuit. It’s easy, and safe, to dry your clothes, charge your car, and cook your dinner. Wow, only 120amps so far. And still plenty for all the small stuff that use a few amps each.
Spouting garbage and finding some obscure Tesla graphic doesn’t deter people with common sense. They see through it easily.
That's fine - but I think most here are assuming attached garage with panel at or near the garage.
Most homes around Iowa unless newer are detached garages, fed from the house with power for lights and openers, not dryers or ovens or welders.
I'd play real hell trying to get a wire from my house to the garage under concrete and through basement walls, etc. I'm lucky- the PO - the guy who built my house was a contractor so he wired it for 60 amps but still........
The "it's easy to add the circuit needed" only applies to some homes, and with attached garages with a panel at or near the garage.
Don't get me wrong - I'm not against electric anything, quite the opposite, but I'm also a realist and the "it's easy/cheap" doesn't apply to most of the country.

So, I'm not anti ev at all, but apartment complexes are a problem, and street side parking in regular houses too for now.
Yes - some need to get out and about and visit these apartments or see "how the other half lives". I've lived in apartments, my son has, my wife has, and I still have friends in them. It's going to be costly at best and it's not that simple in some because they build those things on a budget and never put too much capacity in. Many have panels that cover what's in use and little more. And some have garages for only part of the tenants, at extra cost. A friend in NYC pays 500/month extra for a garage - I'd bet right now it would not be possible for him to charge an EV.

The rest of the world is very different from where some folks live. I've never lived in an area where homes cost over 200-250K so I see what ordinary people live like, their homes, their garages. And I've wired a few homes myself as well as apprenticed for an electrician years ago. One house I recall with attached garage - man, that one would have been tough to do.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It was predicted 10 years ago by a geology professor at Simon Fraser U and, coincidentally thatyear by several Russian university climate researchers that we would have a major cooling period in the timeframe of 2022 - 2036. The geology was based on ice core samples that enabled predictions.
Will it happen? I don’t know, but the research was credible so it is distinctly possible.
I have not yet watched this program (I recorded it last month) but was intrigued by the description and figured, hey, let's see what they have to say -

Jeep Gladiator Jeep ceo…. Wants zero emission freedom brand 1641142696305

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
That's fine - but I think most here are assuming attached garage with panel at or near the garage.
Most homes around Iowa unless newer are detached garages, fed from the house with power for lights and openers, not dryers or ovens or welders.
I'd play real hell trying to get a wire from my house to the garage under concrete and through basement walls, etc. I'm lucky- the PO - the guy who built my house was a contractor so he wired it for 60 amps but still........
The "it's easy to add the circuit needed" only applies to some homes, and with attached garages with a panel at or near the garage.
Don't get me wrong - I'm not against electric anything, quite the opposite, but I'm also a realist and the "it's easy/cheap" doesn't apply to most of the country.

Yes - some need to get out and about and visit these apartments or see "how the other half lives". I've lived in apartments, my son has, my wife has, and I still have friends in them. It's going to be costly at best and it's not that simple in some because they build those things on a budget and never put too much capacity in. Many have panels that cover what's in use and little more. And some have garages for only part of the tenants, at extra cost. A friend in NYC pays 500/month extra for a garage - I'd bet right now it would not be possible for him to charge an EV.

The rest of the world is very different from where some folks live. I've never lived in an area where homes cost over 200-250K so I see what ordinary people live like, their homes, their garages. And I've wired a few homes myself as well as apprenticed for an electrician years ago. One house I recall with attached garage - man, that one would have been tough to do.
I agree that’s it’s a pain to trench and run wire, but it’s not insurmountable. Even if it cost $500-$750 to run the conduit, that cost would be recouped in gas savings very quickly. At $50 per fill up, that’s 15 fill ups to pay for it.

Sponsored

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Most people who have solar are grid-tied with little to no battery bank from SolarCity, Vivint, etc., for the sole purpose of trying to get a discounted rate by essentially leasing the system with a predatory lease contract. During the freeze, if they had their own battery banks and a failover LP or gas generator to charge the bank if they didn’t get enough sun then they would have been able to scale back on frivolous appliance usage and keep some critical things online. My whole family is in TX and I am from there. Most were to naive to put their perishable foods outside to keep it cold.
Haha yep I thought that was the funniest thing. People were asking me what should I do the power is out and my stuff will go bad. I was like well you could just put it outside. It was shocking that so many people didn't even think about that or consider it.

Lateralus

Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
We know it's cronyism because the American people are the number one target of environmental regulation instead of dirty chinese manufacturing.

We are not building affordable EV's in America without major government subsidies.

Iam the perfect candidate for an EV. 15 minute commute to work, plug in at night and never have to visit a gas pump would be awesome. I think solid state batteries could push EV to the next level of practicality and its exciting but I don't want to be forced into anything which is what progressive politics is. Forcing others into your ideas. Totalitarian light.

ezekio3160

First Name
Ezekiel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Iam amazed at how incredibly naive people are. Electric can be awesome for sure, but the technology is not there yet. At the same time it is inevitable that the collective of people in this country get exactly what they deserve for the time and effort they put into governing choices.
100 percent agree!!! Japan already said it will be impossible to support 100 percent electric cars.
I like choice, I’m not afraid of change, I’m afraid of being forced to change. If it makes financial sense to go full electric I’ll do it.

ezekio3160

First Name
Ezekiel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Actually, it'll be a banner day for improving the environment.

Humans cannot go on forever doing whatever they want that pollutes the water, air & soil, destroys animal habitats like forests, deserts, natural areas. There is simply a finite amount of these three and the faster we use them and/or pollute them which BOTH eventually destroys them then there is less for ourselves and a shorter future for us all.
So going solar is green yet the process of making them causes harm to the environment and solar is not biodegradable. So much for go green.

Yeah, you can call me names, i.e. tree hugger, etc. Name calling is the last refuge of those who have no cogent argument. It's simply fact that things have change DRAMATICALLY in just my short 67 years of life so I can imagine what it would seem to someone who might have been around 100 or 200 years ago. They wouldn't recognize the world's condition. And 100 or 200 years is a microsecond of history.

ezekio3160

First Name
Ezekiel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
I am relaxed about the whole EV taking over concept. Won’t happen. There is not enough power capacity/infrastructure to accommodate everyone driving electric. And, to be clear, no one has committed billions to upgrade as we speak.
California has a relatively small % of vehicles on the road that are electric. Yet recently some legislation passed in some areas to limit charging of EV’s to between late evening and morning due to lack of power capacity. And in 8 years we will all be driving EV’s? No.
in an actual free market I agree but you know gas will be taxed at 100 percent paying $12 a gallon until we switch to electric. Then electric will get taxed like crazy to support electric infrastructure and roads.

Sponsored

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Homebrewer
Haha yep I thought that was the funniest thing. People were asking me what should I do the power is out and my stuff will go bad. I was like well you could just put it outside. It was shocking that so many people didn't even think about that or consider it.
LOL.
And they were reposting memes of people boiling the water from the back of their toilet tank like that was a survival skill instead of filling their tubs ahead of time and maybe filling some empty jugs of water. Silly.

4x4Therror

First Name
Jayme
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
I am more interested if they can figure out syntehic fuels for ICEs. Hey we can make impossible burgers which are not terrible so why not make impossible fuel? BTW getting rid of the cow as a food source would do more for the planet than banning ICEs.

Also, the toxic waste generated by all these giant ass batteries and the process of actually mining the minerals required does not gel well with the image of clean technology. Even financially when thinking about solar systems no matter how you finance them you are still paying a shit ton of money to subside the horrendous electrical grid in this country even you bill comes out a few bucks lower a month.
I think this would be a better use of our time if we want to switch away from Fossils (at least in the immediate). I remember a time when all gearheads were talking about how cool it was for a vehicle to run off of used cooking oil, the advancements in hydrogen fuel cells and the use of Biodiesel . I hear almost nothing about alternative fuel sources except "lithium batteries."

If this is truly about emissions and "green house" gasses why not adjust our concept of exhaust? With our current advancements in filtering tech, why not have most (if not all) of our CO2 emissions be captured in the exhaust system? Think, replaceable filter every time you do an oil change.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
It was predicted 10 years ago by a geology professor at Simon Fraser U and, coincidentally thatyear by several Russian university climate researchers that we would have a major cooling period in the timeframe of 2022 - 2036. The geology was based on ice core samples that enabled predictions.
Will it happen? I don’t know, but the research was credible so it is distinctly possible.
Why does no one ever pay attention to actual data like this? Heating and cooling are NATURAL and CYCLIC! Looking at historical records from core samples shows we are right on course for where we should be. The Earth has always gotten warmer and then cooled, it's just how things go. Global warming has been turned into a politicized weapon. Detractors are usually swept under the rug and those that chant the matra are put in the spotlight.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I agree that’s it’s a pain to trench and run wire, but it’s not insurmountable. Even if it cost $500-$750 to run the conduit, that cost would be recouped in gas savings very quickly. At $50 per fill up, that’s 15 fill ups to pay for it.
I'll take pics of my setup one of these days......can't trench concrete.

Some would say "go under it". I'll show how that's not possible for a few of us here.

If this is truly about emissions and "green house" gasses why not adjust our concept of exhaust? With our current advancements in filtering tech, why not have most (if not all) of our CO2 emissions be captured in the exhaust system? Think, replaceable filter every time you do an oil change.
Sorry but IMO, that's almost funny.... capture a GAS in a filter, capture a LOT of gas in a filter. Dispose of said filter. And now - what to do with all of those filters full of CO2 (even if you could find a way to capture CO2 in a disposable filter)

Biodiesel is fine for the input but the output is still dirty, in some ways (although cleaner than standard petrol diesel for sure) You are still generating CO2 and with diesel, other outputs.

Biodiesel actually puts out more NOX emissions at present and is much more expensive to produce.
This is from one study on biodiesel and NOX -
higher bulk modulus of biodiesel leads to increased cetane number and advanced injection, which results in earlier start of combustion; this yields longer resident time and higher in-cylinder temperature which may increase NOX emission.

Biofuels are a solvent and therefore can harm rubber hoses in some engines.

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It's amazing to think of the lack of life skills out there. I'd bet if you posted that idea on tiktok it would be flagged a LIFE HACK! WOW, amazing discovery, if it's cold and the power goes out, put your food outside! Wow.
Heck, where I've lived, you have power outages that last hours to days to even weeks at times. And having 2 chest freezers (to save constant running to town 30 minutes or more each way) when it's time to defrost them, you put the frozen food in a cooler and set the coolers outside. You wait until winter to defrost your freezers. No loss, no need to hurry. Today would be a great day, -11F - I think we're heading for a high of 0 today and there's snow.
I've lived through ice storms that knocked power out for 2 weeks (and had hogs to deal with - keeping water flowing to them, my wife used a bunch of quilts to surround and cover her aquarium at that time) I was able to get a generator a couple of days later.
Another time it was a week when ice took out power for a lot of central Iowa, leveling those huge steel towers across several counties. Another time a tornado took out the power lines between us and town - that was about a week, too - and in the summer. Luckily I had a PTO powered generator I'd brought with me when I sold out and left the farm. Wish I still had it and that tractor. I could power a fully electric house with it.
Derecho 2020 no power for almost a week and it was warm out (August)
I guess if you've never been without power you don't know how to handle such things -still, it's a life skill, not requiring a 4 year degree.
Sponsored