Sponsored

"Jeep Could Axe Diesel Engines By 2030, Will Try To Preserve V8s"

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Engineering Explained has a pretty good youtube video discussing the effects of mass adoption of EV to the power grid and breaks it down to the nerd level by the numbers.

Basically not a insurmountable problem to solve "over time" for the electrical infrastructure to expand to meet mass EV adoption.

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That would be workable but I would still like to have more range before I have to stop and charge. Its something I miss when I moved from my Ram to the JT. The extra large fuel tank it had allowed me to to long distance without having to stop. I see what your getting at where electric charge would be similar to a gas stop.
I get it. But you are missing some of my point.

1) because you plug it in when you get home at night, in most cases you would NEVER need to stop and refuel. Because you start every morning with a "full tank".

2) The 200 mile (vs 350-450 range for most gas cars) then only becomes something you deal with on road trips. To have a comfortable reserve, you would probably end up stopping every 2 hours when you are on the highway.

3) There are already electric vehicles with more than 300 mile range. But again, you have that long recharge time.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
I get it. But you are missing some of my point.

1) because you plug it in when you get home at night, in most cases you would NEVER need to stop and refuel. Because you start every morning with a "full tank".

2) The 200 mile (vs 350-450 range for most gas cars) then only becomes something you deal with on road trips. To have a comfortable reserve, you would probably end up stopping every 2 hours when you are on the highway.

3) There are already electric vehicles with more than 300 mile range. But again, you have that long recharge time.
Yep I got where you were going with it. For work, city, etc that range would be plenty. For travel I have often taken trips back to Louisiana and other places where I drive straight through no stops so that is why for me I would like more range. Now maybe if the had a Buccee's on my route then yes a stop would be necessary and could top off. I'm still hoping out for Jetson's technology from Spacely Sprockets where can just zoom over everyone (LOL). I told my wife to consider an EV or hybrid if I can get her to get rid of that Toyota Highlander Tank. If she has to go back to commuting for work she won't like paying for all that gas.

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Mojave, 20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD,
i do some work with Jeep that you’ll see a lot more evidence of over the next couple years. my knowledge comes from friendships I’ve forged since that process began a couple years ago and several people I befriended working Camp Jeep events in the early 2000s.

Some of those people now work for Rivian actually.

im not a dealer but I’ve also done a lot of work for dealers also
Ah, I see. So the fact that you are in solar and have worked with Jeep syncs up with some of the solar news Jeep has made lately. Interesting.

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep I got where you were going with it. For work, city, etc that range would be plenty. For travel I have often taken trips back to Louisiana and other places where I drive straight through no stops so that is why for me I would like more range. Now maybe if the had a Buccee's on my route then yes a stop would be necessary and could top off. I'm still hoping out for Jetson's technology from Spacely Sprockets where can just zoom over everyone (LOL). I told my wife to consider an EV or hybrid if I can get her to get rid of that Toyota Highlander Tank. If she has to go back to commuting for work she won't like paying for all that gas.
You say you would like more range. But again, its got the same range as a gas version. Just fill the tank and drive when you go on trips. Based on mileage and fuel tank size, the 4xe Wrangler has a range of about 400 miles.

At 70 mph that's almost 6 hours. I dont' know about you but I'm ready for a pit stop after 6 hours.

That's the beauty of a hybrid vs a full electric. They work just like a gas car, except its got more power and gets better fuel economy.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
You say you would like more range. But again, its got the same range as a gas version. Just fill the tank and drive when you go on trips. Based on mileage and fuel tank size, the 4xe Wrangler has a range of about 400 miles.

At 70 mph that's almost 6 hours. I dont' know about you but I'm ready for a pit stop after 6 hours.

That's the beauty of a hybrid vs a full electric. They work just like a gas car, except its got more power and gets better fuel economy.
That's what I am trying to get my wife to trade in her Highlander platinum while the market is hot and get a hybrid. She will eventually be commuting again and it would be nice for that but also would be a nice vehicle to take on the longer trips rather than my truck. Better gas mileage, etc.
Sponsored