Sponsored

"Jeep Could Axe Diesel Engines By 2030, Will Try To Preserve V8s"

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
We have that issue in South Texas. I have friends who live down in Corpus and more southernly points and the wind farms are a big environmental issue according to them in regards to they are taking out all the birds. But you have mega money involved and local government and land owners who are getting filthy rich. They could care less about the birds its about the $$$$$. My coworkers cousin is one such family. They are set for life from the money they got as up front to use some of their land for wind farm and the amount they are paid in lease each month or year I forget how it works for them. But she told me the money was insane.
It is the 21st Century equivalent of the oil drilling and oil well leases a lot farmers had back in the day also.

Tin Foil Hat time:

I think a lot of the move to going full electric EV is more about big brother people control that environmental concerns.
Sponsored

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
It is the 21st Century equivalent of the oil drilling and oil well leases a lot farmers had back in the day also.

Tin Foil Hat time:

I think a lot of the move to going full electric EV is more about big brother people control that environmental concerns.
Yes back in around 1996 my grandmother passed and her kids split up all the stuff, land, etc. She had lot of land down in South Louisiana which they split up amongst them. For the longest time the land was just empty marsh. Sometime in the early 2000's they approached my mother about oil on the property. They gave her an initial check of $400,000 and then she was getting around $10,000 a month in oil royalties for years, then eventually it went to like $7500, $5000, etc. Sadly she pissed it all away on my brother and trying to fix his or take care of his drug habits. He left her penniless. I control the property now and while it doesn't pay out those big numbers anymore it still generates a few hundred every month for however long it will last.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They just need to work on the range.
Actually NO.

They need to work on the recharge time. If your car only had a 150 mile range, but you could recharge it in 5 minutes at any gas station would you be afraid to take it on a trip?

Most BEVs have a range in excess of 200 miles. That is fine. Especially when you can "refill" at home. But the issue with them is road trips and the fact that even the fastest chargers take 30 minutes realistically for a fill up.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
They need to work on the recharge time. If your car only had a 150 mile range, but you could recharge it in 5 minutes at any gas station would you be afraid (struck-through for passive/aggressive bs) take it on a trip?
Not interested in that one bit, but multiply the range & charge times X3 and we could have a conversation-

Sponsored

Bremen

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Sting Gray, 2017 VW Golf Alltrack
I want to know when they're going to install charging stations along the trails.

Until then, I don't have a lot of interest in a Jeep EV.
Jeep is working on installing charging stations at the Jeep Badge trails.

Lateralus

Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
The question no one considers is the cost to replace the batteries.

How long do they last? How well do they work in the winter? What will it cost to replace them?

I have Milwaukee brand power tools including a weed trimmer and leaf blower. I almost bought the saw until I did some math. The saw costs $300. The battery costs $200. A new Husqvarna saw in the same size category is about $380. Battery power is not for the masses. Yet.

DankjeeP

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR, '98 XJ, '17 FLHXS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
HW Engineer
“So to answer the question bluntly, I love V8s, but I love electrification even more, because it can give me more acceleration, more power, [and] more torque in a better package, without hurting the planet. So I think it’s a better solution longer term,” he concluded.

But he's leaving out some critically important points. What electrification cannot do is allow you to "refill" your truck in 5 minutes on any street corner in America, nor can it travel 500+ miles on a single "fill". And until it can do those things, which are a L O N G way off, it will never go mainstream in this country. If you take away a guy's diesel truck and tell him, "Here is an EV to replace it" he will revolt. People will not go for that in the U.S. Americans are lazy and want convenience and fun. There's nothing convenient or fun about owning an EV.

Furthermore he's leaving out the fact that while driving an EV reduces or eliminates emissions, the factory that builds them is producing more emissions than they used to when they made ICE cars. So in the end, there isn't ANY benefit to the planet. It's a wash. Lithium mining is horrible for the earth, and disposal of batteries is horrible for the earth, and waste from manufacturing facilities of EVs is also horrible for the earth.
You forgot electricity generation.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
You forgot electricity generation.
Also increasing electrical infrastructure, alternatively adding solar systems to each house. Yay More batteries.

OP
OP

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
I have Milwaukee brand power tools including a weed trimmer and leaf blower. I almost bought the saw until I did some math. The saw costs $300. The battery costs $200. A new Husqvarna saw in the same size category is about $380. Battery power is not for the masses. Yet.
That's why for certain tools you buy the kit with batteries.

I bought the Makita 16" x2 saw, which came with four 5aH batteries and charger. It takes 2 batteries at a time, but the charger will charge 2 in 45 minutes, generally enabling a constant rotation.

The kit was $400. The bare tool is $300 and one 5aH battery is $150. So I essentially got 4 batteries for $100.

The bigger concern in power tools is manufacturers changing format (voltage, battery form factor, etc). If I've invested in Makita's LXT platform, I need to be sure they'll continue to support it down the road. I'm a little concerned about the new XGT platform, but so far Makita insists that LXT isn't going anywhere.

Sponsored

OP
OP

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
EV proponents often gloss over the effect on the grid if there were wholesale adoption of EVs.

They'll often tout charging at cheap, evening electrical prices. Yeah... for now. Not when there's millions of people trying to charge at night. Supply and demand still matters.

Base load isn't going to come from wind turbines, and nuclear capacity is decreasing. This means more gas plants (which already often back up wind/solar), most likely. We'll see if gas remains cheap with increased demand and political limits on fracking.

sunrise089

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Higher Ed
As someone said upthread, there is the possibility of easily removable batteries for trips like that.
I would wager irresponsible amounts of money that at no point in the next 20 years will we have widespread ‘hot swappable’ batteries nor will we have the ability to add on additional battery ‘pods’ for long trips.

Firms love to tout the promise of modularity and versatility in their products under development. In the end it always turns out modularity is too costly and entails too many packaging sacrifices - even something as ‘easy’ as user-replaceable PHONE batteries have generally been crowded out of the market. A swappable battery will have too many issues with core swaps, deposits, differing lifespans, etc., and represent too much cost exposure to would-be renters. Add-on batteries are even worse since they’d need to accommodate literally hundreds of form factors in a way that kept the batteries safe and secure.

Heck, we have a barely functioning market for dumb utility and cargo trailers in this country, and the only vehicle-side accommodation those require is a hitch ball and a single low-current cable.

sunrise089

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Higher Ed
That's why for certain tools you buy the kit with batteries.
The bigger concern in power tools is manufacturers changing format.
Good post. The power tool market is weird because buying kits offers dramatically lower per-tool or per-battery cost versus buying individual tools or batteries. The guy who needs a single tool+battery kinda gets screwed.

sunrise089

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Higher Ed
That sounds like an allusion to the I6 in development.

I wonder if they'd dump the 2.0 so quickly given how they've pushed it.
Wranglers have long lifecycles. A JM or whatever could be a MY2029 vehicle and by then there could easily be a new turbo 4cyl option with an I6 above it. That’s assuming they offer any gasoline options at all which I don’t think is a given in this segment that far out.

My bigger question is whether they’re still developing the I6. The HEMI is pretty darn competitive in the segments it plays in. Lots of automakers including Audi and Cadillac have announced they’re not spending any more $ on gas engine development. Gladiator and it’s weird cooling issues aside, a brand-wide lineup of 2.0t gas, HEMI n/a gas, and various hybrids/EVs may strike them as a good cost/benefit in terms of engineering resources.

My prediction would have been different 5 years ago, but EV tech is advancing rapidly, and unless the I6 is ready for MY22 or MY23 it may come too late to matter too much.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Actually NO.

They need to work on the recharge time. If your car only had a 150 mile range, but you could recharge it in 5 minutes at any gas station would you be afraid to take it on a trip?

Most BEVs have a range in excess of 200 miles. That is fine. Especially when you can "refill" at home. But the issue with them is road trips and the fact that even the fastest chargers take 30 minutes realistically for a fill up.
That would be workable but I would still like to have more range before I have to stop and charge. Its something I miss when I moved from my Ram to the JT. The extra large fuel tank it had allowed me to to long distance without having to stop. I see what your getting at where electric charge would be similar to a gas stop.
Sponsored