Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Gladiator "Jeep Could Axe Diesel Engines By 2030, Will Try To Preserve V8s" Korea-wind-power-2

Jeep Gladiator "Jeep Could Axe Diesel Engines By 2030, Will Try To Preserve V8s" Korea-wind-power
Sponsored

Fcmalie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Global Fiberglass Solutions started recycling fiberglass wind turbines blades few years ago and has been scaling up their business. Also battery recycling and production has gotten cleaner, less cobalt and lithium in both batteries and motors. GM just invested a large amount of money into a company looking to get lithium from the Salton Sea, which is already considered one of the most poluted places on earth.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
With all the drawbacks to the current diesel, and the complaints about how non diesel it is, I wonder why they even offer it really. It's the most non diesel diesel you can get.

Jonny A

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Bridge Construction and Maintenance
With all the drawbacks to the current diesel, and the complaints about how non diesel it is, I wonder why they even offer it really. It's the most non diesel diesel you can get.
I don't know first hand about that... but I hate diesels, all but they big ones in large commercial trucks and generators, maybe a big boat. Smaller diesels in passenger vehicles, pick up trucks and our equipment at work. More inconvenient than I care for. I guess I just ain't a diesel guy.

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
I've said in other threads I'm broadly pro-EV. But the issue with the quoted passage is how often does that have to not be the case to torpedo the appeal of EVs. A single long trip a year could probably be worked around, but what about one per month or per week? After all many of us don't use our bed, or 4WD, or even back seat every day, and yet we still want to have those capabilities on hand for the times we do need them.
As someone said upthread, there is the possibility of easily removable batteries for trips like that. I have a Goal Zero in my truck, a Genesis dual battery, and will soon have solar. I like to be covered for power when camping. Someone who travels a lot and is concerned about powering up will have options when the time comes.

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
that’s true and billions of dollars in R&D is directed at that.
that new lightning is going to be a good bellwether because while 300 miles of range with 1500lbs of cargo is good, more people will want 400 and everyone is on board at 500 especially when 300KW+ charge rates arrive. Keeping in mind also that while needing to refuel from E to F on the road might not ever be as fast as pumping 32 gallons of fuel, a fuel tank every morning leaving the house saves an immense amount of time for most people overall.
Mainstream magazines are already predicting <100 miles of range with the F-150 Lightning while towing. Can you imagine being a small business owner who uses a pickup to make a living, and you've got to stop and "refill" every 100 miles because you've got a trailer in tow?

That battery pack adds nearly a full ton of additional weight to the truck, and the range is going to be 100 miles in the real world?

There is NO WAY people are going to go for that.

EV cars are the future. Technology will evolve and they will be more environmentally friendly. Most people do not need to drive 500 miles, or even 300, away from home. by the time ICE engines are gone there will be a system to recharge EVs along the way, and quickly.

We will likely be buying an EV or hybrid in the next year or two and I am excited to see Is the market by then.
Perhaps this will be true, but again you're talking about stuff that will take decades to accomplish if it happens at all. Infrastructure doesn't change in a matter of 5 years, especially when it's almost all owned by private individuals and businesses.

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Mojave, 20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD,
there will be a new wrangler/gladiator platform by then.
based on what I’ve heard that new platform won’t have any engine availble on the platforms now
Really, tell me more?? What have you seen?

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think @TheSolarWizard is right, just give the platform some time. EVs can be bad for the environment, but the only way to figure out how to do them properly is to keep investing in the tech - it will eventually pay off.

But to @WXman's point, I'm not convinced that no ICE is the right answer either. There needs to be a quick way to refuel.

I'm just really excited to see what the future might bring.
You guys are all being way too reasonable in here. ;):LOL:

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They just need to work on the range.
The range could be fine as is today if they can get the "refueling" down to a few minutes time.

foo.c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2021 Corvette
I want to know when they're going to install charging stations along the trails.

Until then, I don't have a lot of interest in a Jeep EV.

Sponsored

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Global Fiberglass Solutions started recycling fiberglass wind turbines blades few years ago and has been scaling up their business. Also battery recycling and production has gotten cleaner, less cobalt and lithium in both batteries and motors. GM just invested a large amount of money into a company looking to get lithium from the Salton Sea, which is already considered one of the most poluted places on earth.
Yea they will need to get more companies on board with efficient way to recycle those blades cause right now they are just burying those suckers. Not sure what the new GE blades will be made of they are more being built for offshore from what I read.

OP
OP

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Really, tell me more?? What have you seen?
That sounds like an allusion to the I6 in development.

That engine is supposed to produce HP from 300-500+, and would presumably replace the pentastar and the HEMIs throughout Stellantis.

Trackhawk or TRX applications, as a recent article hinted, would utilize the I6 in a hybrid format.

I wonder if they'd dump the 2.0 so quickly given how they've pushed it. I do think they'll push phev and bev in the lower models, but I would expect the gme and gse engines to be integral in that role.

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That sounds like an allusion to the I6 in development.

That engine is supposed to produce HP from 300-500+, and would presumably replace the pentastar and the HEMIs throughout Stellantis.

Trackhawk or TRX applications, as a recent article hinted, would utilize the I6 in a hybrid format.

I wonder if they'd dump the 2.0 so quickly given how they've pushed it. I do think they'll push phev and bev in the lower models, but I would expect the gme and gse engines to be integral in that role.
Yeah gotcha. I read his quote differently. As in, there won't be an ICE engine in upcoming platforms. Bu you are right, it could be read as , no ICE engine available today will be in an upcoming platform. Is solartown guy a dealer or "in the know"?

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
Yeah gotcha. I read his quote differently. As in, there won't be an ICE engine in upcoming platforms. Bu you are right, it could be read as , no ICE engine available today will be in an upcoming platform. Is solartown guy a dealer or "in the know"?

i do some work with Jeep that you’ll see a lot more evidence of over the next couple years. my knowledge comes from friendships I’ve forged since that process began a couple years ago and several people I befriended working Camp Jeep events in the early 2000s.

Some of those people now work for Rivian actually.

im not a dealer but I’ve also done a lot of work for dealers also
Sponsored