Sponsored

Jeep Enthusiasm Waning

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 1986 Jeep CJ7
Anyone ever have their Jeep enthusiasm start to wane? Mine sort of is. Not because I don’t like to product but rather it’s just sort of run it’s course with the time I have available to dedicate to it. My JT has less than 2500 miles on it since new in August 2020. I’ve thrown a ton of money into it and don’t regret any of it but I’m sort of to the point that tons and possibly a hemi swap are kind of the next thing besides small convenience items, I’m not sure I want to throw another $15k for axles or even more for a motor swap. I enjoy modding it but have done most of the typical stuff. Now it pretty much sits. I drive a company truck all week. Am I crazy for taking advantage of the market demand and considering selling it? I still have 2 other Jeeps in the stable (JLUR and CJ7).
Sponsored

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
To each their own, but you pretty much haven't actually driven it. Even weekend warriors put more miles on theirs than you have. And as a daily driver, I've put over 10 times more in about the same time period.

NoDoorsNoProblem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave, 2004 TJ Unlimited
My JT has less than 2500 miles on it since new in August 2020.

I still have 2 other Jeeps in the stable (JLUR and CJ7).
At first I was going to roast you a bit, but then I saw that second line, and now I just wonder why you have the JT.

Idk, for me, my Jeep has 3 reasons why I love it so much - the adult lego aspect where I get to build it into whatever I want; the doors off, top off, coolest, funnest ride around town; and also the ability to adventure to anywhere I want to go.

It seems like you've scratched your itch for the adult lego aspect and built it to a certain point, but that run it's course and anything else would just be throwing money down the drain. For the second, you have a JL and a CJ, which provide exactly the same doorless topless fun that the JT provides - probably especially the CJ. And as far as adventuring, I don't really know how much off roading you do in your JL. And I'm going to guess based on your milege you don't do much "trucking" in your JT as others, who use it to haul their kayaks and mountain bikes, tow their campers and jet skis, while still being a fun Jeep vehicle.

So I ask this without an ounce of ridicule or accusation (especially as this is my first Jeep, and you are much more of an authentic Jeeper than me owning that stable.) Why do you even have a JT? There are other trucks on the market, full size and mid size, that are way better at being a truck than a Gladiator. You have a JL for capability and a CJ for fun. So.....why the JT?

For me, I wanted JT for the reasons above, and I wanted it more than a JL or Bronco because I wanted a truck bed space, and the towing/hauling ability. It seems like you don't use it for that with only 2500 miles. So.....why?

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Damn I put that many miles a month or more normally. But heck if you can turn it for a profit why not. Sounds like your stable is full of Jeeps. Now if losing your shorts by selling not. Not throwing shades but depending on your CJ-7 that's definitely a seller's market. Here in AL. I know of two people who are "flipping" CJ-7's they buy for up to 5k then selling for sometimes 20k plus. One has paid for a new truck with what he made on selling 3 CJ's. In 10 years I wouldn't be surprised to see JT's being in that category too. I know the MJ's are hot items in some locations now.

tnjarhead

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Undecided
In the same boat! It has run its course.

Sponsored

Jteakus

First Name
Teakus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD, 2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Take it wheeling. Not sure what part of OK you are in but look at Hot Springs ORV Park, Southern Missouri Offroad Ranch (SMORR) and the passes around Silverton, CO. I think it will change how you think about your JT.

OP
OP
FLUndertaker

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
At first I was going to roast you a bit, but then I saw that second line, and now I just wonder why you have the JT.

Idk, for me, my Jeep has 3 reasons why I love it so much - the adult lego aspect where I get to build it into whatever I want; the doors off, top off, coolest, funnest ride around town; and also the ability to adventure to anywhere I want to go.

It seems like you've scratched your itch for the adult lego aspect and built it to a certain point, but that run it's course and anything else would just be throwing money down the drain. For the second, you have a JL and a CJ, which provide exactly the same doorless topless fun that the JT provides - probably especially the CJ. And as far as adventuring, I don't really know how much off roading you do in your JL. And I'm going to guess based on your milege you don't do much "trucking" in your JT as others, who use it to haul their kayaks and mountain bikes, tow their campers and jet skis, while still being a fun Jeep vehicle.

So I ask this without an ounce of ridicule or accusation (especially as this is my first Jeep, and you are much more of an authentic Jeeper than me owning that stable.) Why do you even have a JT? There are other trucks on the market, full size and mid size, that are way better at being a truck than a Gladiator. You have a JL for capability and a CJ for fun. So.....why the JT?

For me, I wanted JT for the reasons above, and I wanted it more than a JL or Bronco because I wanted a truck bed space, and the towing/hauling ability. It seems like you don't use it for that with only 2500 miles. So.....why?
thats a fair question. Honestly I was waiting on the Bronco several years ago and got frustrated with the changes to it and delays so I bought the JT sort of out of spite. Silly but true, plus I thought I would use the bed more. My company truck is a Suburban so while it can tow and haul people, it’s no good at bulk materials. That need hasn't really materialized so the capability in the JT is unrealized. Plus I liked the novelty of the JT topless truck. The JL has the sky top so not truely topless and the CJ is no where near as comfortable so the JT did fill a small gap in my stable but it’s not something I’ve used much at all. Lots of upgrades and wrenching, just not much use. The fun for me was primarily in the build not the use, if that makes sense.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
When you bought it, did you have an intend use for it or was it just something to play bolt on and look at it in the driveway?

OP
OP
FLUndertaker

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When you bought it, did you have an intend use for it or was it just something to play bolt on and look at it in the driveway?
Not really much of a plan, pretty much a knee jerk reaction impulse buy. I thought it would come in handy as a small truck plus playing bolt on and looking at it in the driveway. It’s fun to drive in good weather but now it’s too hot to have the top off unless it’s 6 am. I’ve always enjoyed jeeps, have had 7 but with my work schedule the reality of it is coming to the surface. Now that I’ve done most of the logical mods (lift, wheels, tires, gears, steering, lighting, winch, etc) im not sure I want to go to the next level, not only because of cost but also reduced drivability, resale, and practicality. When I don’t have anything to wrench of it I get bored.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
...........When I don’t have anything to wrench of it I get bored.
Sounds like you need to sell it. I am the same way of things I treat as a hobby. I go all in and do everything that there is to do and the second there is no more to be done, dump it all and find the next thing to emersed myself into.

Sponsored

Biff Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Truck
“don’t regret any of it but I’m sort of to the point that tons and possibly a hemi swap are kind of the next thing besides small convenience items, I’m not sure I want to throw another $15k for axles or even more for a motor swap. ”

kinda don’t understand this statement unless like the Winchester house you must keep building or you will die.

How are you at a point you need a hemi or tons but you haven’t driven it enough miles to really require either? but I don’t know where you live so I guess if you need more power or strength to negotiate your driveway I’m all for it or if money burns holes in your pockets then I strongly advise the purchase as fire is nothing to laugh at.

Anyway you do you, after the axles and hemi you could upgrade the frame, add an underdrive, make it a dualie, or a 6 wheel drive, add an auxiliary tank, lengthen or shorten the bed, add a tray bed, regear to 6.17s, put in a dump bed, add wheelie bars, do you have a front and rear winch? See there’s always more you can do , so don’t give up yet.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
“don’t regret any of it but I’m sort of to the point that tons and possibly a hemi swap are kind of the next thing besides small convenience items, I’m not sure I want to throw another $15k for axles or even more for a motor swap. ”

kinda don’t understand this statement unless like the Winchester house you must keep building or you will die.

How are you at a point you need a hemi or tons but you haven’t driven it enough miles to really require either? but I don’t know where you live so I guess if you need more power or strength to negotiate your driveway I’m all for it or if money burns holes in your pockets then I strongly advise the purchase as fire is nothing to laugh at.

Anyway you do you, after the axles and hemi you could upgrade the frame, add an underdrive, make it a dualie, or a 6 wheel drive, add an auxiliary tank, lengthen or shorten the bed, add a tray bed, regear to 6.17s, put in a dump bed, add wheelie bars, do you have a front and rear winch? See there’s always more you can do , so don’t give up yet.
I was thinking the same thing. That must build, add, change. Got a bit of OCD going on there (LOL). Man just enjoy the truck. Hell there are a ton of things I could do to mine but I don't. I stopped messing with it long time ago and now I just pop the top and doors and enjoy it as a daily driver, weekend cruiser and kayak hauler.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Anyone ever have their Jeep enthusiasm start to wane? Mine sort of is. Not because I don’t like to product but rather it’s just sort of run it’s course with the time I have available to dedicate to it. My JT has less than 2500 miles on it since new in August 2020. I’ve thrown a ton of money into it and don’t regret any of it but I’m sort of to the point that tons and possibly a hemi swap are kind of the next thing besides small convenience items, I’m not sure I want to throw another $15k for axles or even more for a motor swap. I enjoy modding it but have done most of the typical stuff. Now it pretty much sits. I drive a company truck all week. Am I crazy for taking advantage of the market demand and considering selling it? I still have 2 other Jeeps in the stable (JLUR and CJ7).
Hard to say, you have 3 jeeps... but, the game changer for us was joining a local 4wheel drive Gladiator/JL/JK group that we do day 4WD trips. We also have meet ups. Wrenching parties. New friends, new trips, more fun, more challenging, much safer.
Sponsored