First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Indian Springfield
Occupation
Retired and loving it
Not head to head with a Gladiator but I can see it cutting into the JLU market…

montechie

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Writer of code, designer of things
Anybody seen this? Very interested. I’m watching this company closely. . .
There's a lot to like, the payload is impressive, much better than our trucks at ~1900lbs. Brand new vehicle designed with solid axles front and rear along with lockers, etc. Love the switch panel design, especially over the US' tendency to pad everything in the cab as if it were a sanitarium. Definitely built a better Defender than the Land Rover. AluCab is talking about building a pop-top roof for the Grenadier like they do for the classic Defenders and the Land Cruisers (LC70), which would make a very capable (if spendy) adventure vehicle. Cost is disappointing, originally it was targeting about 10K less. I don't know much about BMW engines, but at least they're giving us an inline 6 that many shops may already be familiar with.

ttn333

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Looks good but won't be in the same price category. Maybe it'll cut into the Defender's sales number though.

Sponsored

Teqsand

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD & 22 JTRD
Occupation
Bum
LOVE THE DIESEL, and the access...

I like the built in trail rails in the doors and the single rear door/window

I do not like the dash/console and the wheel well size definitely limits tire size

Berserker

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I like the idea of the Grenadier and am hopeful it sticks around. However, given its target market is long-distance travel, I'm suspect what its reliability will be and how well you can find parts as you travel around the world. Maybe after TFL gets their hands on one and if it doesn't end up being like their Defender, then I'd consider it more.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant

Berserker

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
No need to wait for TFL, I drove one a few weeks ago and did a write up on it!

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/jeep-v-ineos-grenadier.68976/

Starting around $70K and nicely outfitted around $80k it is more expensive than a Jeep BUT it is way more than a Jeep.
Just depends on your interests and wallet 😎
I was being cheeky. They were one of the first new Defender adopters and had a heck of a time getting it to work (they had three Defenders before they gave up).

But thanks for the write-up, I'll check it out!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dryfly24

Dryfly24

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired and loving it
I was being cheeky. They were one of the first new Defender adopters and had a heck of a time getting it to work (they had three Defenders before they gave up).

But thanks for the write-up, I'll check it out!
I don’t quite understand what you’re saying here. These aren’t Defenders at all. They were inspired by the Defender but it is a completely different animal altogether. The components aren’t the same. They designed it from the ground up as an entirely new vehicle.

Just to add that the original plan was to purchase the rights to the Defender design but Land Rover wouldn’t do it so they started from scratch on an entirely new design.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dryfly24

Dryfly24

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired and loving it
I like the idea of the Grenadier and am hopeful it sticks around. However, given its target market is long-distance travel, I'm suspect what its reliability will be and how well you can find parts as you travel around the world. Maybe after TFL gets their hands on one and if it doesn't end up being like their Defender, then I'd consider it more.
I wouldn’t worry too much about parts or reliability. The designers used these well established power trains for a reason:

”The Grenadier is powered by a choice of BMW six-cylinder engines; the 3.0L B58 inline 6 petrol engine and the 3.0L B57 inline 6 diesel engine.[35] In the Grenadier, B57 diesel engine makes 183 kW of power (3250-4200rpm) and 550Nm of torque (1250-3000rpm). The B58 petrol engine makes 210 kW of power (4750rpm) and 450Nm of torque (1750-4000rpm).[36]

Both engines come mated to a ZF eight-speed automatic transmission (codenamed 8HP51 for the petrol, 8HP76 for the diesel), with what Ineos calls a new “heavy duty” torque converter.[36]

Berserker

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
All I was saying was, since it's a new off-road vehicle (my comparison between TLF's Defender and the Grenadier), I'll see how it works out for them, should they try it out. I fully understand it's not a Defender and it's not something I'd be an early adopter for.

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I wouldn’t worry too much about parts or reliability.
That's an interesting take for a vehicle people would intend to take into the wilderness. Even if parts are readily available, breakdowns in the middle of nowhere are costly.

Also, using engines with readily available parts does not mean the entire vehicle is built with readily available parts. And British chemical companies and 'dealership network' don't exactly go hand in hand.

So yea, i could potentially take it to a BMW dealership to get the engine worked on... if i could find one that's willing to touch it for anything short of my first born child. But where is a replacement wiring harness for the BCM going to come from?

OP
OP
Dryfly24

Dryfly24

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired and loving it
That's an interesting take for a vehicle people would intend to take into the wilderness. Even if parts are readily available, breakdowns in the middle of nowhere are costly.

Also, using engines with readily available parts does not mean the entire vehicle is built with readily available parts. And British chemical companies and 'dealership network' don't exactly go hand in hand.

So yea, i could potentially take it to a BMW dealership to get the engine worked on... if i could find one that's willing to touch it for anything short of my first born child. But where is a replacement wiring harness for the BCM going to come from?
If I remember correctly that was addressed in one of the vids I saw. A company rep said that while they would only have around 22 or so dealerships, they were going to partner up with various repair service shops throughout the country that they would certify and n this particular vehicle. As for parts they were also going to try to use established mechanical and electronic components as opposed to strictly proprietary designed ones when possible.

I guess time will tell. I think it’s always a gamble to go with a brand new design right from the gate unless you’re equipped and willing to absorb the cost of expensive repairs should they be necessary. Of course I’m sure the warranty would cover that at least the first few years.

I do like their thinking and approach to the manufacture of this thing though. I’d be willing to bet it’s going to be good if they follow the game plan they’ve outlined. We’ll see. . . .
Sponsored