Not open for further replies.

sunrise089

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Higher Ed
Ah yes, that ‘premium’ tire brand of Falken. Consider me put properly in my place.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
@ShadowsPapa As much as I hate to admit it, whimpy 32’s would probably get me everywhere I’ve gone on 37’s… albeit probably more butt pucker… a lot more. Anyways, yeah I don’t understand that comment.

Im going to ask you refrain from talking about the 4xe any further though before I end up buying one for… uhhm my wife.
Hey, I only called it a "Rubicon" LOL How'd you figure it out?
I figured people were tired of hearing about that beautiful, wonderful, amazing purple Jeep.

sunrise089

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Higher Ed
To be clear I don’t think 32” street tires are crazy (though given Gladiator’s proportions they’re a somewhat rough aesthetic look). I think it’s a little crazy though to pay $800 and go from a 32” tire to a different…32” tire. And I think it IS a little crazy to pay an $800 upcharge and then plan to sell those tires and buy something else, versus skipping a step and just selling the regular ‘free’ tires and putting the $800 cash towards the final tires.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Ah yes, that ‘premium’ tire brand of Falken. Consider me put properly in my place.
It is a top brand.

In the case of our latest Jeep - Jeep supplied it with BFG KO2s - quiet, smooth and decent on winter roads.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
To be clear I don’t think 32” street tires are crazy (though given Gladiator’s proportions they’re a somewhat rough aesthetic look). I think it’s a little crazy though to pay $800 and go from a 32” tire to a different…32” tire. And I think it IS a little crazy to pay an $800 upcharge and then plan to sell those tires and buy something else, versus skipping a step and just selling the regular ‘free’ tires and putting the $800 cash towards the final tires.
Do the math - for that money you get more than tires.
Plus, consider how little you'll get out of the stock "street tires" on selling them used (or giving them away) vs. what you can get out of good 32" A/T tires. You'll get a lot more. Been down that road.
See, it's only you and a few others who believe they must have bigger tires due to the looks/appearance in your eyes. In the grand scheme of things, the vast majority of Jeep buyers don't see it like you do. Keep track of the Gladiators and Wranglers around here and you'll see you are in the minority. The typical Jeep buyer will be very happy to get those tires and will leave them on.
Forums are where people compare tires like certain other things. The real world is people buying Jeeps - Gladiators and Wranglers, by the tens of thousands and loving them as they are, maybe customizing a bit like my wife is hers. Jeep ain't catering to you - they are catering to the typical, majority, buyer. They don't care if 100 like you don't buy because thousands of others will buy with that deal. It's a deal maker for them. Tires they can just get and leave on it and drive all year around. If my JT had come with the A/T tires, I'd have left them on until worn out. But I ordered it with all year highway tires because I made a deal with the dealer to put the A/T tires on it that I already owned - and putting the new tires the new one came with on my trade. If I didn't already have these, I'd have ordered with the optional A/T tires which are, yes, 32" tires, and i'd have been happy.
Car makers must cater to their audience and try to expand that audience or go bust. Jeep needs to sell to doctors, lawyers, CEOs, nannies, gardeners, CFOs, nurses, fire fighters, janitors, and so on. Gone are the days of Jeeps selling only to a few and Jeep surviving. Jeep has to sell to people who want to get in it and drive it - mothers, and old ladies included.

Sponsored

sunrise089

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Higher Ed
It is a top brand.

In the case of our latest Jeep - Jeep supplied it with BFG KO2s - quiet, smooth and decent on winter roads.
Shadow I know you’re contractually obligated to post in every thread, but I don’t know what a “top brand” is. If it’s by sales or mindshare Toyota would be a ‘top brand’ automaker but they’re not a premium brand.

Here’s a free definitive list of premium tire brands:

*Goodyear
*Michelin
*Bridgestone
*(offroad category) BFGoodrich
*(performance category) Pirelli.

There’s nothing wrong with Falken. I’ve bought Falkens. I’m not tire snob…were It not for TireRack’s error I’d be running on Milestar Walmart-grade tires. But Falken’s are being used by mainline manufactures because they’re cheaper, not because of some perceived brand halo.

sunrise089

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Higher Ed
What do they say about people who use the phrase “to discredit your argument further?” :)

alpineovernappa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTSS 3.0 & 2006 LJ 6mt
I would rather see a package for the sport with HD wide axles with the cast nuckles, 4.10s and a rear locker

Sponsored

alpineovernappa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTSS 3.0 & 2006 LJ 6mt
What about a 32” tire is whimpy? For $800 you get the aux switches and all terrains from the go - Jeep uses premium tire brands like Falken, BFG and GoodYear. Not everyone wants to lift and upsize in tire, some want something capable off the showroom floor 100% under warranty and not have to worry about it. That is a good value for what it is.

244C378A-8464-4331-A311-4AA1E9649729.jpeg

77E1E512-CD32-468F-846F-67C98170D0AE.jpeg

33ECA96F-D8A1-4ABA-8FF9-8D8F66B83A67.jpeg

To discredit your argument further, you could probably sell the tires for at least close to $800 to someone with something like a TJ or YJ who would love some 32’s and to be able to buy your tires. Do you think people are crazy for 32” street tires?
the problem is that a lot of us with earlier Jeeps are running 15” or 16” wheels and don’t want to run spacers to accommodate the newer bolt pattern OEM 17s. My JT came with decent A/Ts and I still opted to sell them over putting them on my LJ. only got $160 for all 5 tires after 3 weeks of being for sale with 5k miles on them

RHINO79

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
Do the math - for that money you get more than tires.
Plus, consider how little you'll get out of the stock "street tires" on selling them used (or giving them away) vs. what you can get out of good 32" A/T tires. You'll get a lot more. Been down that road.
See, it's only you and a few others who believe they must have bigger tires due to the looks/appearance in your eyes. In the grand scheme of things, the vast majority of Jeep buyers don't see it like you do. Keep track of the Gladiators and Wranglers around here and you'll see you are in the minority. The typical Jeep buyer will be very happy to get those tires and will leave them on.
Forums are where people compare tires like certain other things. The real world is people buying Jeeps - Gladiators and Wranglers, by the tens of thousands and loving them as they are, maybe customizing a bit like my wife is hers. Jeep ain't catering to you - they are catering to the typical, majority, buyer. They don't care if 100 like you don't buy because thousands of others will buy with that deal. It's a deal maker for them. Tires they can just get and leave on it and drive all year around. If my JT had come with the A/T tires, I'd have left them on until worn out. But I ordered it with all year highway tires because I made a deal with the dealer to put the A/T tires on it that I already owned - and putting the new tires the new one came with on my trade. If I didn't already have these, I'd have ordered with the optional A/T tires which are, yes, 32" tires, and i'd have been happy.
Car makers must cater to their audience and try to expand that audience or go bust. Jeep needs to sell to doctors, lawyers, CEOs, nannies, gardeners, CFOs, nurses, fire fighters, janitors, and so on. Gone are the days of Jeeps selling only to a few and Jeep surviving. Jeep has to sell to people who want to get in it and drive it - mothers, and old ladies included.
Well said 👏
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.