Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So if you go 24 miles as an EV and 16 as a hybrid it is still a nice efficiency.

If you figure 16 mpg to make the math easy. You will use 1 gal of gas to go 40 miles. Not bad.
Sponsored

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport-S Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
I.T.
So if you go 24 miles as an EV and 16 as a hybrid it is still a nice efficiency.

If you figure 16 mpg to make the math easy. You will use 1 gal of gas to go 40 miles. Not bad.
That's some interesting logic right there. :LOL: How many charges you gotta do to go 200 miles? Go ahead, say it out loud.

Kilroy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator mat tow sport
I would wait and see how the value/electronics hold up. Most hybrids/EV lose their value faster, but it is a Jeep 4x4. Second point it is still Stellantis electrical and they normally can't make working radios. I'll keep my gas JT, maybe in 10 years when it's been perfected more.

Spur

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
Occupation
Retired
EVs. The great farce.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's some interesting logic right there. :LOL: How many charges you gotta do to go 200 miles? Go ahead, say it out loud.
You are clearly looking at it differently.

A PHEV's range isn't limited by its electric range.

You drive it until the battery isdead then it operates like a normal hybrid.

So to go 200 miles, you only need to charge it ONCE. It goes 24 miles then runs as a standard gasoline hybrid.

In the process of driving 200 miles, the battery range saves you about a gallon of gas and then the hybrid tech helps you achieve better fuel economy than you would otherwise achieve.

In my case when I worked 6 miles from home, my commute could be all electric. But when I got in it to drive 100 mi to NH it worked just like any other car.

IMHO the bst of both worlds. Now if only it was made by Toyota and was their 30th plug in hybrid vehicle with 15 years experience and not made by Chrysler with Fiat tech and their FIRST plug in hybrid.

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EVs. The great farce.
EVs are a farce. But hybrids are the best of all worlds. Electric around town. With the range and ease of use of a gas vehicle. AND greener than full battery vehicles. Lithium batteries are filthy to make. A PHEV gives you 90% of the greenness of a battery vehicle with a battery that is 1/5th the size.

Plus they are fast.

yoda13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I don’t like EVs. I will throw that out there so y’all know where I am coming from. I won’t buy one until I have no choice, but I am glad to see Jeep is thinking about the future so that I don’t have to give up Jeeps later:)

jpjpjp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX
40 miles would be very, very sad for a hybrid car. It needs to be like the Ford Lightning before they even think about releasing it.
Actually 25 miles is the benchmark for many states to provide additional rebates. I attended an EV presentation last night, which emphasized that vehicles that even have only the limited range of the Wrangler 4XE are beneficial given most commutes are about this distance.

jpjpjp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX
Official # is 21 miles lol. 40 is Prius Prime territory.
Wrangler 4XE not getting 25 miles means it isn't eligible for additional Massachusetts rebates. Plus the fact it now costs over $50K. Ugh. Gladiator 4XE hopefully will be under $50K and have 25 mile range.

Last edited:

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't forget the $7500 in federal rebates.

In my state its eligible for another $2000 state rebate.

Given this, I've played with the Jeep configurator and its cheaper than a 3.6 with artificial Government market distortions.

I don't have a problem with EVs philosophically. Once they work out the following.

1) Charge times vs time to fill up a gas powered car.
2) Rare earth metals used in EV's are quite literally mined by slaves.
3) Unproven battery life - Jeep has a 10 year 100k mile warranty on electric parts. But I keep my cars longer than that.
4) Weight

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One last point. The 4xe has 370 hp and 470 ft-lbs of torque. (the same as the 392!!)

For essentially free after Government market distortions. (incentives).

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
One last point. The 4xe has 370 hp and 470 ft-lbs of torque. (the same as the 392!!)

For essentially free after Government market distortions. (incentives).
Don't forget it also comes with some goodies that non 4xe have to add manually, thus narrowing the delta even further BEFORE "incentives"!

Spur

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
Occupation
Retired
Don't forget the $7500 in federal rebates.

In my state its eligible for another $2000 state rebate.

Given this, I've played with the Jeep configurator and its cheaper than a 3.6 with artificial Government market distortions.

I don't have a problem with EVs philosophically. Once they work out the following.

1) Charge times vs time to fill up a gas powered car.
2) Rare earth metals used in EV's are quite literally mined by slaves.
3) Unproven battery life - Jeep has a 10 year 100k mile warranty on electric parts. But I keep my cars longer than that.
4) Weight
You also left out the environment nightmare of disposal/recycling the batteries. Creates terribly toxic chemicals.

China owns most of the elements necessary to make the batteries. Natural gas and nuclear only viable path for the future for base load.

EV farce just a virtue signal that makes uninformed feel good.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have one friend with a Tesla P100D. He does not give two craps about the environment.

But he loves his 900 hp American sedan that can rip off a quarter mile in the 10s and get to 60 in well under 3 sec. That's quicker than most supercars.

Hydroelectric is also a viable path for base load electric supply. AND its renewable. Ha. But the enviroweenies hate hydro for some reason.
Sponsored