Electric Wrangler

xpcdoojk

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes SLK300 MINI Cooper S Volvo XC40
So much this. I work at a non-profit that does research on the electric grid from generation to use (our group looks at EVs and EV charging, big and small), and can only shake my head at a lot of this.

Can't we all get along? In my garage lives a '64 Willys Wagon with stock 230 OHC and a carb, our '82 Scrambler has fuel-injection and the bulk of our everyday miles are done in an electric car (we are looking for our third now with three kids).

And to get back to the early posts on the thread, it doesn't have to be all-electric or nothing. There is a huge role for plug-in hybrids (think 30 miles or so electric range and then "regular" driving on a gas-hybrid powertrain). This is what is coming for the plug-in Wrangler which was supposed to be launched late this year or early next year. Just as week, the head of Jeep also talked about an all-electric Wrangler. Imagine a future where a Wrangler or Gladiator has four engine/motor options: gas, diesel, mild hybrid, and plug-in hybrid, and maybe even full electric. We all will get choices.
Freedom loves choices. However some politicians are limiting our choices. CAFE standards. The EU is banning even hybrid vehicles in the not so far in the future future. We can all get along. I do not give a wit what you drive. I despise people who pretend one is inherently good and another inherently bad. I suggest most of us are not all knowing enough to get to make that choice and those in government, think groups and social doo-gooders are specifically poorly suited.
Sponsored

Pleease.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Mercedes CLK350, 2016 Lexus GX460, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-AWD
I'm not an electric vehicle fanboy but I am certainly not opposed to them either. What I do not understand about the criticism above and theEV coming with a purse.

I will pose this question for discussion.

Everyone on every other thread complains about the lack of low end torque in our Gladiators and JLs and are screaming from the mountaintops for a diesel to get that beloved torque. Electric motors are known to be the torquiest type of propulsion available. Shouldn't all of the guys wanting the old school torque monster engines be chomping at the bit to get their hands on an electric Jeep?
……………………….

Agree with you on the electric vehicle opinion. Let's see what is developed, and if EVs eventually win us consumers over it'll be via good performance....or it won't happen. No-lose situation.

100% with you on the "purse" comment. Grow up.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
wondering if emergence of drones will outpace development electric cars...

You simply shape your plastique drone like a Jeep and off you go into the wild blue yonder.

Oh, and in the nothing new under the sun category, here's a dry bit o wit article on a flying gas jeep that lasted a short while 80 years ago...;)

https://www.wearethemighty.com/articles/the-british-flying-jeep-of-world-war-ii

airbus-flying-drone.gif

flying-jeep.png

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
2,400 miles in a week = -343 miles/day.

Sponsored

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Interesting solution - the road charges you up as you drive...

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Perpetual motion should have been introduced in vehicles over a decade ago. I mean, we've had alternators and rechargeable batteries on cars for almost 100 years... Install copper-coil magnetic type alternator-style units on each wheel, and it recharges itself as you drive...

It's common sense people... :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

If you don't think people haven't done that until now as a way to make money off of charging your vehicles, then you're a fool.

Either way, I still don't like electric vehicles. Personal opinion.

JeffreyDV

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Before I got my Gladiator, one week ago, I was driving an electric car. It worked for me because I have a very short commute. The range was about 200 miles which isn’t bad for most people. I spent far less on electricity that I would have on gasoline. The instant torque is amazing. Do I think an electric Jeep would be useful off road? Probably not. At least not yet. The torque would be great but the battery would run down very quickly.

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
I agree with your points. I was just pointing out the nonsense that technology haters harbor. I’m sure you will agree with me that an electric power train would be an ideal solution if they could get decent range out of them. There is a very good reason that all modern locomotive engines and most of the world’s heavy mining trucks, except Caterpillar, use some sort of electric propulsion system. Electric is better and more reliable, except for the whole power supply issue. That’s why the heavy haulers also need a diesel to power their generators.
sadly there will slways be asshats who ridicule anything outside of their comfort zone

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Before I got my Gladiator, one week ago, I was driving an electric car. It worked for me because I have a very short commute. The range was about 200 miles which isn’t bad for most people. I spent far less on electricity that I would have on gasoline. The instant torque is amazing. Do I think an electric Jeep would be useful off road? Probably not. At least not yet. The torque would be great but the battery would run down very quickly.
I still drive an electric car. It's great for errands and short trips. I have a lot of what I need to get to within three miles. Many of the food places are less than a mile. It doesn't make sense to fire up the gas engine for such short trips, even though I really enjoy driving it. The electric car, so far, has the lowest operating and maintenance costs of any vehicle I have ever owned.
Sponsored