Sponsored

Electric Jeep in 2022

scramboleer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Willys Wagon, 1982 Jeep Scrambler CJ8
I think a plug-in hybrid Wrangler or Gladiator with 30 miles of electric range would be sweet. Drive to the trailhead on gas (hybrid). Push the button for "EV now" and hit the trail. Enjoy off-roading in near silence with that sweet instant torque of the electric motor(s). Return to the pavement, switch back into gas mode and head home, refueling just like today. And since my weekday is commuting to work, picking up the kids, running errands - 30 miles of electric range would cover most - if not all - of daily trips. Sounds like a win.
Sponsored

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
30 miles would get me to work, then I would have to tolerate the 2.0 for the trip home, then plug it in each night? No thanks.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I think a plug-in hybrid Wrangler or Gladiator with 30 miles of electric range would be sweet. Drive to the trailhead on gas (hybrid). Push the button for "EV now" and hit the trail. Enjoy off-roading in near silence with that sweet instant torque of the electric motor(s). Return to the pavement, switch back into gas mode and head home, refueling just like today. And since my weekday is commuting to work, picking up the kids, running errands - 30 miles of electric range would cover most - if not all - of daily trips. Sounds like a win.
Not how a hybrid works. And 30 miles? LOL - no one would accept that. For one thing, the electric motors and electronics wouldn't even be worth the effort for a measly 30 miles. Why bother? Even a lame electric these days does over 100.

I think you are looking for a custom built vehicle, not a factory/production vehicle.

scramboleer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Willys Wagon, 1982 Jeep Scrambler CJ8
Not how a hybrid works. And 30 miles? LOL - no one would accept that. For one thing, the electric motors and electronics wouldn't even be worth the effort for a measly 30 miles. Why bother? Even a lame electric these days does over 100.

I think you are looking for a custom built vehicle, not a factory/production vehicle.
I'm talking about a plug-in hybrid (PHEV) like the Chrysler Pacifica, Chevy Volt, Ford Fusion Energi, etc. It has a smaller battery and then a gas-electric hybrid system.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'm talking about a plug-in hybrid (PHEV) like the Chrysler Pacifica, Chevy Volt, Ford Fusion Energi, etc. It has a smaller battery and then a gas-electric hybrid system.
My hope is that people like me get to stop paying for these so that they either stand on their own, or not, and people pay what they really cost if they really want them.

CMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT, Toyota Highlander, HD FLHRC and FLSTSCI
Occupation
Professional Aviator
My hope is that people like me get to stop paying for these so that they either stand on their own, or not, and people pay what they really cost if they really want them.
Yes. I am oozing "agreement" from every pore.....

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation

Thoughts? I think it's stupid and a waste of valuable resources both practically and environmentally. I also think the group of people who would benefit from an EV Jeep is an extremely small niche group. Lastly, I think if you look at the big picture, all we see here is another example of engineers creating their own job security.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
It boils down to a numbers game with the vehicle makers concerning pure plug in electric and hybrid vehicles. The main driver is extra CAFE credits. Plug in Pure Electric vehicles count as 1.5 vehicles for CAFE averaging with Hybrids counting as 1.3 for CAFE averaging in 2021. This basically allows them to sell higher margin and less efficient gasoline vehicles. So while it does not make sense on the consumer buying front, they just have to sell enough of these electric type vehicles to make the coin on the back side of gasoline vehicle sales.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It boils down to a numbers game with the vehicle makers concerning pure plug in electric and hybrid vehicles. The main driver is extra CAFE credits. Plug in Pure Electric vehicles count as 1.5 vehicles for CAFE averaging with Hybrids counting as 1.3 for CAFE averaging in 2021. This basically allows them to sell higher margin and less efficient gasoline vehicles. So while it does not make sense on the consumer buying front, they just have to sell enough of these electric type vehicles to make the coin on the back side of gasoline vehicle sales.
And since that is not law written by congress but is EPA rulings, I am hoping that gets changed soon.

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
While shown as a parody, this sums up the smoke and mirrors of EV ownership.

Elanachan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep TJ Wrangler Sport, 2014 Toyota Prius
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not saying this is true of their current plans, but I can see amazing future potential for extended overlanding without the need for gas, using solar panels to recharge the batteries on an all-electric variant...just saying.
Sponsored