First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
if it's got a plug f*** off. if it's got a hurricane I will consider. if it's got a plug and a hurricane... f*** off.
I agree, though you and I may be forced to walk everywhere one day:)
Sponsored

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Guys, please don't put any credence into ANYTHING that comes out of a manufacturer's mouth about future vehicles...

Hopefully most of you remember that Jeep said a V-8 would not fit into the Gladiator and less than 2 years later out comes the 392...it's all smoke and mirrors.

Teqsand

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD & 22 JTRD
Occupation
Bum
If my state outlawed gas engines - as they are threatening to do - Iā€™d actually move out just to keep my gladiator. Iā€™m dead serious when I say that.
As a current resident of people's republic of smognaziland liberafornia I am out of here in just under 3 years.... this place is going to crash hard

Stratus109

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL , WJ
Occupation
Welder
They just need to do a 2.5L turbo and call it a day. Some more displacement and bigger turbo........would be vastly better then the weak 3.6.

I love the 2.0t eTorque with ZF trans in my JLUR. It gets up & goes and will smoke the 35s no problem.
Post a vid of your 2.0 smoking 35ā€™s and ill give you that much credit.

Stratus109

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL , WJ
Occupation
Welder
Guys, please don't put any credence into ANYTHING that comes out of a manufacturer's mouth about future vehicles...

Hopefully most of you remember that Jeep said a V-8 would not fit into the Gladiator and less than 2 years later out comes the 392...it's all smoke and mirrors.
Volvo just canceled their all electric by 2024 pledge.

Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Volvo just canceled their all electric by 2024 pledge.
Companies that are saying that they will be all EV by xxxx date are cutting their noses off.

Stratus109

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL , WJ
Occupation
Welder
Companies that are saying that they will be all EV by xxxx date are cutting their noses off.
Think of how the hemi / hellcat motor saved dodge from ceasing to exist. And they are ditching it? Im not 100% sure of it.

Wolf Island Diver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon EcoDiesel
Occupation
Software Engineer
I remember when people were literally talking about taking up arms to save the incandescent lightbulbs šŸ˜‚. One of the most gun toting conservative/libertarian keep-Washingtonā€™s-mitts-off-my-private-enterprise friends I know, but also private jet wealthy, went the opposite direction. He went out and replaced all the bulbs in his house and business, which was a large manufacturing facility, with LEDs, because math. And these were crappy old days of bluish CFLs and expensive LEDs. I myself cut my energy bill by about 40% making the switch.
LED bulbs kept getting better and better and it quickly made financial sense to switch. But a lot of people held out as
part of the ā€œresistanceā€ and what started as a fear of change quickly became a performative farce. A self own. It was as dumb as this rolling coal sh1t. Let me run my diesel so rich I guarantee damage from excessive egtā€™s, ruin the turbo, waste money, and make my fellow citizens choke on my obnoxious exhaust just to make some unclear political point to an imaginary perceived enemy.

Electrification isnā€™t oppression. Itā€™s progress. And from the auto manufacturers side, itā€™s moving at a pace that tells me that the first generation Gladiator EV, when it eventually happens, will be quite compelling. Heck, if I still commuted , the 4xe would be tempting daily driver. The second generation Gladiator EV will make buying the ICE version a poor economic and performance decision. A second gen 4xe power plant in the Gladiator with additional electric range might actually be compelling now if it was in the cards. The fact that the Stellantis CEO says that theyā€™re not going in the Unibody direction, like Rivian, tells me he understands his market. Theyā€™re not going to ruin Jeep.

People have been predicting the eminent doom of off road capable Jeeps ever since the TJ was first announced. It didnā€™t happen then. It didnā€™t happen with the JK or JL or 4xe. Itā€™s not happening with this new EV thing theyā€™re making and itā€™s not happening with an eventual EV or hybrid Gladiator.

If I could get 350-400 miles of road range, 75-100 off-road, had fast dump charging (which is coming) in a few years along with solid state batteries, and I could wheel in silence, have off grid solar charging, etc, Iā€™d jump at that in a hot minute.

shokker70

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Texas Trail
Electrification isnā€™t oppression. Itā€™s progress. And from the auto manufacturers side, itā€™s moving at a pace that tells me that the first generation Gladiator EV, when it eventually happens, will be quite compelling. Heck, if I still commuted , the 4xe would be tempting daily driver. The second generation Gladiator EV will make buying the ICE version a poor economic and performance decision. A second gen 4xe power plant in the Gladiator with additional electric range might actually be compelling now if it was in the cards. The fact that the Stellantis CEO says that theyā€™re not going in the Unibody direction, like Rivian, tells me he understands his market. Theyā€™re not going to ruin Jeep.

People have been predicting the eminent doom of off road capable Jeeps ever since the TJ was first announced. It didnā€™t happen then. It didnā€™t happen with the JK or JL or 4xe. Itā€™s not happening with this new EV thing theyā€™re making and itā€™s not happening with an eventual EV or hybrid Gladiator.

If I could get 350-400 miles of road range, 75-100 off-road, had fast dump charging (which is coming) in a few years along with solid state batteries, and I could wheel in silence, have off grid solar charging, etc, Iā€™d jump at that in a hot minute.
Only if the market drives it. Government needs to stay out. CA is completely idiotic thinking they can force EV sales by 2035. They can't keep the power on now...

Not necessarily disagreeing with your points, but those things have to happen in the off-road world for it to be a possibility. And todays' EVs are not green. Not even remotely close.

Wolf Island Diver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon EcoDiesel
Occupation
Software Engineer
Only if the market drives it. Government needs to stay out. CA is completely idiotic thinking they can force EV sales by 2035. They can't keep the power on now...

Not necessarily disagreeing with your points, but those things have to happen in the off-road world for it to be a possibility. And todays' EVs are not green. Not even remotely close.
I completely hear you. But often the government drives it in the sense that they create the conditions that the market responds to. If the car industry was the sole driver, weā€™d be driving cars with no safety equipment with fin tail lights burning leaded gasoline. California as the 7th largest economy has repeatedly forced massive changes to global markets. In this case, I actually think the industry is already rising to meet this mandate. The industry already rose to meet California emissions requirements to everyones benefit before.

In the case of this 2035 mandate announcement, the auto industry basically reacted with a collective shrug as its well within most of their timelines. I also expect exemptions to be carved out. There are always exemptions. The representative from the California independent dealers association had some concerns but they were about affordability for consumers not feasibility and thatā€™s a valid concern. I think thatā€™s one of the big question marks, along with the state of the grid, how road funding works, how people in multi-tenant housing charge their EVs and who pays for that infrastructure, standardization of technology, etc. There are a lot of technical and policy challenges, which is why California is trying to push the issue forward.

The other big thing is that there are two movements working at cross-purposes which isnā€™t being given enough attention. Natural economic progression demands that third world countries will begin consuming more power as they industrialize. At the same time more sectors will move to use electricity away from burning fossil fuels at the source, e.g., industrial heating, transportation. So despite increases in efficiency, electrical demand will increase greatly at the same time weā€˜re trying to move away from cheap and plentiful sources of electricity like natural gas fracking, which by the was, was a giant ponzi scheme whoā€˜s market has failed. We canā€™t base estimates on how well solar and wind will work to replace current demand. In some places solar and wind are a no brainer. But this isnā€™t enough. Planning needs to be based on future demand. The big glowing elephant in the room is nuclear whether as a stop gap or a future larger permanent part of the grid. Unfortunately, since Fukushima, the worlds been running away from it. Itā€™s a mistake Germany is about to pay a heavy price for this winter.

If California wants everyone to drive an EV then they need to start driving nuclear fission development and standardization like the French did decades ago. And as the 7th largest economy in the world, thereā€™s no reason other than nimbyism that California canā€™t do that. Schrodingerā€™s cat is already out of the bag on waste. Whether you have 1 ton or 100 tons, we still have to store it somewhere or ā€œburnā€ it new types of reactors. Stopping now doesnā€™t save us anything in that regard.

As far as being green, EVs are significantly greener than ICE vehicles. Itā€™s a myth/propaganda that they are not. Of course rare earth, cobalt mining, battery manufacturing and electricity generation make them far from 100% green. No serious person ever claimed that they were. But all the manufacturing issues affect ICE vehicles as well and when total lifecycle emissions are taken into account electrification is far greener. Again, this electrification is also occurring at the same time as the greening of the grid and the greening of manufacturing. So they will continue to pull away from ICE as the component of their total lifecycle emissions due to electricity and manufacturing shrink leaving emissions as the single biggest source.

Sponsored

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)

They are at least partly green if you have rooftop solar.

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
I remember when people were literally talking about taking up arms to save the incandescent lightbulbs šŸ˜‚. One of the most gun toting conservative/libertarian keep-Washingtonā€™s-mitts-off-my-private-enterprise friends I know, but also private jet wealthy, went the opposite direction. He went out and replaced all the bulbs in his house and business, which was a large manufacturing facility, with LEDs, because math. And these were crappy old days of bluish CFLs and expensive LEDs. I myself cut my energy bill by about 40% making the switch.
LED bulbs kept getting better and better and it quickly made financial sense to switch. But a lot of people held out as
part of the ā€œresistanceā€ and what started as a fear of change quickly became a performative farce. A self own. It was as dumb as this rolling coal sh1t. Let me run my diesel so rich I guarantee damage from excessive egtā€™s, ruin the turbo, waste money, and make my fellow citizens choke on my obnoxious exhaust just to make some unclear political point to an imaginary perceived enemy.

" If I could get 350-400 miles of road range, 75-100 off-road, had fast dump charging (which is coming) in a few years along with solid state batteries, and I could wheel in silence, have off grid solar charging, etc, Iā€™d jump at that in a hot minute."

Ditto - I have 6.23 kW rooftop solar and waiting for the PHEV Gladiator to go with my wife's Subaru Forester PHEV that's coming out next year. Proportionately, most of our driving is within 25 miles, and with solar that means that much of our driving will be free. And yes, we paid for our rooftop solar, but the first year we got 26% back off our taxes from the Feds and 10% back from NM, and our tax rebate was over 10,000 bucks, plus we pay only $6.03 per month fee even mid-summer. It will be paid off counting the rebates in six years or less.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whether you burn hydrogen in an internal combustion engine or in a fuel cell, the chemical reaction is the same. 2-H2 +O2 = H2O + Energy.

The exhaust in both cases is water.

But remember. Elemental hydrogen, like you would burn in a fuel cell (catalyze really) does not exist in nature.

You need to make it. To make it, you need to put energy into the system. Then you burn it to get that same or less amount of energy out.

So hydrogen is an ENERGY STORAGE system. It is not an energy source.

Think of elemental hydrogen as a charged battery. That's it. You still need to make electricity to make the hydrogen.

Yes, you can "crack" the hydrogen off of methane, but then you have emissions similar to if you just burned the methane.

Bottom line is that Hydrogen is a convenient way to store energy. It is not an energy source.

firemedic2714

First Name
Scotty P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Rubicon, 19 Genesis G70, 1972 Ford LTD coupe
Occupation
Firefighter / Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
They just need to do a 2.5L turbo and call it a day. Some more displacement and bigger turbo........would be vastly better then the weak 3.6.

I love the 2.0t eTorque with ZF trans in my JLUR. It gets up & goes and will smoke the 35s no problem.
I had a 2-door JL with the 2.0 turbo as a rental while my JT was in for warranty work. It was a Sport S with a soft top and fast AF! Other than the power equipment, it was probably pretty close to the best power to weight ratio possible in a Wrangler. It would definitely be the only Jeep I'd buy with a slush box.

Hog

First Name
HOG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT, Rubi Diesel, 76 Bronco, 16 4Runn, 92 Miata,
Occupation
Bum

The 5.7 Hemi is exactly what I would want.
Sponsored