Sponsored

DirkG

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
I recall reading an article somewhere else that Stellsmtis has plans to have EVs across all
of its Jeeps.
https://www.stellantis.com/en/technology/electrification

We are setting the course for 100% of sales in Europe and 50% of sales in the United States to be battery electric vehicles (BEVs) by the end of this decade. And we plan to offer more than 75 battery electric vehicle models and reach global annual BEV sales of 5 million units by 2030.

By the numbers alone, the Gladiator will be BEV. Unless they plan on pulling the vehicle from the European market and greatly reducing sales in the US. It's too easy to convert the JT to 4xe considering its factory brother (Wrangler) sells so well.

It looks like the JT will be using the STLA FRAME below and more than likely will go 4xe in the short term and may go fully electric in the future.

4-BEV-PLATFORMS-02.png
Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bring forth the Hurricane!
I normally keep my vehicles for a long time. A hurricane engined Gladiator could convince me to swap early.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
so me smart...right brain give me a plug in hybrid for the long commute....left brain must haz the hurricane sauce!!!!!!(saliva drips everywhere)
The 4xe is a (relatively speaking) rocket. Functionally its absolutely superior to the Hurricane.

However, it wreaks of a version 1.0 effort. Inconsistent quality and reliability, a dealer network that doesn't know how to service them. A factory parts system that can't provide repair parts in a timely manner.

Compound that with the fact that you aren't given a loaner and the 4xe is a definite out for me.

If you buy a $40k Hyundai Genesis you are GUARANTEED a new car loaner for as long as your vehicle is in for service.

If we had that on our $60k trucks, I'd be willing to roll the dice. But otherwise no.

Sponsored

Deleted member 47279

The 4xe is a (relatively speaking) rocket. Functionally its absolutely superior to the Hurricane.

However, it wreaks of a version 1.0 effort. Inconsistent quality and reliability, a dealer network that doesn't know how to service them. A factory parts system that can't provide repair parts in a timely manner.

Compound that with the fact that you aren't given a loaner and the 4xe is a definite out for me.

If you buy a $40k Hyundai Genesis you are GUARANTEED a new car loaner for as long as your vehicle is in for service.

If we had that on our $60k trucks, I'd be willing to roll the dice. But otherwise no.
honestly once my ecodiesel turbo goes out im just gonna put a bigger one on it anyways. left brain wins like sex panther.

RJinPV

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired
I just hit on one application of hydrogen that many people don't know about. I agree about powering a whole population is a whole different story.
We have other problems with someone willing to throw nukes at us now. If that happens, we don't have worry about going ev. Be more worried about learning how to ride a horse IF you can find one.
I'm all set! My wife owns two of them! In fifteen years I ride them about 3 times. I guess better get some practice in....

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
If my state outlawed gas engines - as they are threatening to do - I’d actually move out just to keep my gladiator. I’m dead serious when I say that.
You’ll be grandfathered

Sponsored

yoda13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Perhaps a conversion for existing cars, but for new cars you'd literally be getting half the efficiency.

".... Energy is already wasted in generating the hydrogen from renewables, and by the time the hydrogen is burned in an engine and the power transferred to a transmission and ultimately the wheels, only about 25% of the energy value of the hydrogen is actually transferred.

That's why fuel-cell-electric cars like the Toyota Mirai make more sense when using hydrogen as a fuel. Here the hydrogen is combined with oxygen from the air to create electricity which then powers an electric motor that can directly power the wheels. Here the efficiency is closer to 50%. And there are also no harmful emissions. Just water."

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
I recall reading an article somewhere else that Stellsmtis has plans to have EVs across all
of its Jeeps.
100% in Europe and 50% in the US. It’s in another thread here.

yoda13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Perhaps a conversion for existing cars, but for new cars you'd literally be getting half the efficiency.

".... Energy is already wasted in generating the hydrogen from renewables, and by the time the hydrogen is burned in an engine and the power transferred to a transmission and ultimately the wheels, only about 25% of the energy value of the hydrogen is actually transferred.

That's why fuel-cell-electric cars like the Toyota Mirai make more sense when using hydrogen as a fuel. Here the hydrogen is combined with oxygen from the air to create electricity which then powers an electric motor that can directly power the wheels. Here the efficiency is closer to 50%. And there are also no harmful emissions. Just water."
It still seems Toyota, Hyundai, and perhaps BMW are moving forwards with plans for vehicles built around a hydrogen ICE.

I understand the science here, but lots of vehicles are passion purchases. Heck, all of mine have been.
Sponsored