Mark Allen Says Full Electric Jeeps Can Be Even More Capable Off-Roaders

remlemasi

First Name
Elmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I think you really know your stuff about electric cars. One thing I think you forget to account for is the increased impedance that occurs at the battery gets full. It would probably be impossible to fully charge the battery using only a couple of solar panels (or it would take much longer than the 25 days you calculated). But your point remains intact. Either you use the ejeep with the intent of plugging in after off-roading, or get a gasoline one for overlanding.
lol, yep. Probably much more than 25 days with those 8 panels. But at the same time, if you’re really driving and charging 100 miles per day, then you’d probably be charging 33% to 66% and depleting back to 33% over and over.

I also forgot to add another point. You would only be able to drive in the dark as you would need to be stationary while the 10’ x 12’ panel is deployed in daylight. I mean, I guess you could have a 5’ x 24’ system going the full length of the truck...:CWL:
Sponsored

remlemasi

First Name
Elmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I think this COVID-19 pandemic will effect EV development by pushing more of a need to alternate technology to Lithium. I think USA will try to go away from Lithium battery technology as soon as possible ---- and thus, change the game again.
yep, I’m not fully caught up on the latest updates, but there are several companies working on solid-state battery technologies, but those would still need to be charged. Unless you’re talking more of a need to move away from batteries altogether? Like a Mr. Fusion reactor? I’m sure Wrangler enthusiasts would be on-board for that ;)

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit
Kind of a PITA to carry extra power into the woods when your vehicle is electric. How much would a spare EV battery cost anyway? Probably expensive as all hell. By contrast, you can latch jerry cans all over your rig and have extra gas for overlanding under the current gas and diesel engine configurations. What do you do when you run out of power? Plug into a tree stump?

Probably need some kind of solar charging kit for emergencies...
Use those jerry cans to run a 2-3kw generator to charge it overnight. For example, if you use a Generac GP2200i, you can get 7 hours of run time using 1.2 gallons of gas while generating 1700W per hour (according to Generac). That gives you a total of 11.9kW (or 9.9kW per gallon of gas). Thus, one night of charging would net you not quite 30 miles of range (or a fuel economy of about 24 mpg)*. That's a little more range than that same gallon of gas would give you in a gasoline engine, but it takes a lot longer to get it.

Obviously, a range of 30 miles per day is not ideal for overlanding, but it beats using solar power. :CWL:

*Presuming a 100kWh battery with a range of 250 miles, you would get around 2.5 miles of range per 1kWh of battery capacity (ideally).

Last edited:
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
It might be better for hunting (quiet) but that's about it...

Personal opinion.

remlemasi

First Name
Elmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Use those jerry cans to run a 2-3kw generator to charge it overnight. For example, if you use a Generac GP2200i, you can get 7 hours of run time using 1.2 gallons of gas while generating 1700W per hour (according to Generac). That gives you a total of 11.9kW (or 9.9kW per gallon of gas). Thus, one night of charging would net you not quite 30 miles of range (or a fuel economy of about 24 mpg)*. That's a little more range than that same gallon of gas would give you in a gasoline engine, but it takes a lot longer to get it.

Obviously, a range of 30 miles per day is not ideal for overlanding, but it beats using solar power. :CWL:

*Presuming a 100kW battery with a range of 250 miles, you would get around 2.5 miles of range per 1kW of battery capacity (ideally).
Love it! These “overlanding” EV rigs would the ideal platform for a serial hybrid like the Chevy Volt or the BMW i3. Generator only turns on as-needed and still gets you a somewhat reasonable mpg.

EDIT: forgot to address the more important point. The generator (integrated into the vehicle systems and not an external Honda engine plugged in to the charging port) be used while the truck is being driven, not overnight. With the BMW i3 I leased a few years ago, the little 33hp 2-cyl scooter engine could keep me cruising indefinitely (keyword: cruising, not constant high-torque applications), assuming I topped up the 2 gallon gas tank every 60 miles :CWL: It wouldn’t be difficult for FCA to find a better balance of engine output and gas tank size to meet the needs for overlanding.

(Just FYI, all those “kW” mention should be “kWh” or kW-hours. W and kW is a measure or rate of power, wH and kWh is a measure of energy capacity, generated, stored or used.)

Last edited:

Sponsored

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
In its 1963 launch brochure, Jeep wrote:

Here’s an entirely new series of versatile, powerful, virtually indestructible trucks. Most loadable, roadable, work-loving trucks ever built. Loadable-all steel pick-up boxes with low bed height. Roadable—balanced truck weight and firm-riding suspension make Gladiators hug the road, corner safer and easier. Work-loving—Gladiator pick-ups take hefty loads up to 3,977 lbs. and with 4-wheel drive, take them anywhere. Yet, its short turn radius and high steering gear ratio provide the handling ease of a passenger car. And a highly advanced independent front suspension system is available . . . plus optional automatic transmission, power brakes and power steering to make the going still easier and safer.
gladiator-townside.jpg
https://www.allpar.com/trucks/jeep/gladiator.html

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
IFS- Does.not.go.on.("real")jeeps

There I said it
Apparently 50 years ago this was settled thusly: IFS didntcwork, nobody bought it, it was discontinued.

My problem is still steering with independent power sources. They have botched steering with all their fake inputs. So the answer is make the problem more complicated by adding independent power to each wheel and let a computer solve the steering ratio? Get outta here. Do something real with your life. There, I said it. Lol

Nannook of the north

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport
This is the out of touch thinking that made them not in a hurry to get the Gladiator out. To busy cooking up renegades and electric wranglers.

Jeep Gladiator Mark Allen Says Full Electric Jeeps Can Be Even More Capable Off-Roaders 1590824294821

I was in high school when this concept came out and had waited for it ever since.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
As someone who’s been in the solar industry for almost 15 years, I’d love to see an all electric wrangler HOWEVER unless the battery packs improve quite a bit, a real overland type of trip would be a very lofty goal without packing in noisy generators and lots of panels and that’s not a good fit

i ordered a cybertruck about 8 minutes into the presentation an I’m excited about it but I’m still gonna build a diesel gladiator provided the tow ratings are sufficient for my plan. probably the last two vehicles I’ll ever own and I’m not that old but I do enter my fourth decade of adult life on Monday

BOLD PREDICTION
this could be the last “wrangler“ generation with solid axles and certainly at most we’re one generation removed from the absence of an internal combustion engine

Last edited:

Sponsored

remlemasi

First Name
Elmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
As someone who’s been in the solar industry for almost 15 years, I’d love to see an all electric wrangler HOWEVER unless the battery packs improve quite a bit, a real overland type of trip would be a very lofty goal without packing in noisy generators and lots of panels and that’s not a good fit

i ordered a cybertruck about 8 minutes into the presentation an I’m excited about it but I’m still gonna build a diesel gladiator provided the tow ratings are sufficient for my plan. probably the last two vehicles I’ll ever own and I’m not that old but I do enter my fourth decade on Monday

BOLD PREDICTION
this could be the last “wrangler“ generation with solid axles and certainly at most we’re one generation removed from the absence of an internal combustion engine
So... you’re turning 30 in tomorrow? Just want to clarify as your 30s is technically your fourth decade of life ;)

Racer_X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red Rubicon Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
For electric vehicle development, I think we should look at boats as a bellweather. I'm waiting for a cruising rig that doesn't use sails, but solar panels and a wind generator to generate power for the electric engines.

Yacht batteries have been driving battery improvements for years. Solar panels and towed generator arrays are commonplace on boats. Cruising rigs are analogous to overlanding rigs, albeit longer distances of travel and more comfort. I saw an article two years ago of a prototype, but we've got a ways to go yet.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I could see everyone adapting huge solar panels to roof top tents charging there batteries
Son of a gun, our battery is out of juice, guess we have to stay in the wilderness for a few more days until the battery recharges. :like:

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Son of a gun, our battery is out of juice, guess we have to stay in the wilderness for a few more days until the battery recharges. :like:
Exactly my thoughts on why, and how stupid an all-electric offroad vehicle is. :like:

This is the conversation I imagine between the hipster couple that buys one and gets stuck offroad...

"Honey we're out of battery, what do we do? Do I need to call AAA?"

"Nah, it electric babe... Maybe we should call Alabama Power...???"

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

remlemasi

First Name
Elmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Exactly my thoughts on why, and how stupid an all-electric offroad vehicle is. :like:

This is the conversation I imagine between the hipster couple that buys one and gets stuck offroad...

"Honey we're out of battery, what do we do? Do I need to call AAA?"

"Nah, it electric babe... Maybe we should call Alabama Power...???"

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
But we gotta differentiate between electric off-road vehicle and electric “overlanding” vehicle, whatever your definition of overlanding is.

Not everyone is going to do multi-day 200+ mile trips away from civilization. Heck, most people don’t even take their Jeeps off-pavement!

I’m about to take the JT out to do the White Rim Trail next week. Considered one of the premier Jeep trails in the country (or so I’ve read). Taking it slow over three nights and it’s just around 100 miles. Thats 200 rated miles of reserve range assuming a 300-mile battery.

For those that do require “unlimited” range via gasoline, by all means, they should not get an EV 4x4.
Sponsored