Sponsored

Hummer Electric Pickup first look. Are we missing an electric Gladiator?

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
Electric cars are really cool but being a Tesla owner for the last decade there is one thing always on your mind your next charge. Driving on trips on more than one occasion i`ve had to wait several hours just to get plugged in then wait several hours for a full charge, it`s a dynamic that has to be factored in while traveling in an electric car. Second, using for example air conditioning, radio and other electrical devices cuts into the advertised mileage range of the car. Third, charging at home one better have solar panels, if you use the car daily there will be a big jump in the electric bill, every Tesla owner i know has installed solar panels. All of the above is from experience, i have owned five Teslas in the last ten years and will continue to do so, they are great you just have to know what your getting into there is no free ride.
Wow, I hadn't thought about those issues. Thanks for sharing the real-world Tesla experience.
Sponsored

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
At this point, until batteries give 500+ mile range, I'd prefer a plug in hybrid. This would allow far back country adventure without worrying about a charge - though I suppose one could bring a small generator for those trips and probably still be more efficient than running gas. Also - a 30 mile range on electric, which most plug ins provide, would cover a lot of off-roading as electrics don't really lose efficiency at low speeds, usually the opposite.

CMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT, Toyota Highlander, HD FLHRC and FLSTSCI
Occupation
Professional Aviator
.....though I suppose one could bring a small generator......
Because that's gonna be nice when seeking the solitude of the meadow at Yosemite: the relaxing din of 30 gas-powered generators, eeking out the kW to charge a buncha rechargeable batteries.

There is no free lunch of any kind. Anywhere. Merely energy conversion, from one form into another.

And considering the embodied cost-- environmentally speaking-- of battery production, it's not any better than hydrocarbons. I'll stick with my dirty ICE.

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
"Are we missing an electric Gladiator?"

upload_2020-1-31_18-22-33.jpeg

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
Because that's gonna be nice when seeking the solitude of the meadow at Yosemite: the relaxing din of 30 gas-powered generators, eeking out the kW to charge a buncha rechargeable batteries.

There is no free lunch of any kind. Anywhere. Merely energy conversion, from one form into another.

And considering the embodied cost-- environmentally speaking-- of battery production, it's not any better than hydrocarbons. I'll stick with my dirty ICE.
Batteries can be recycled, but there are always trade offs. Plug in hybrid has the least imo. Full battery means quiet when you're on the trail but a low din when you're not - but quiet generators are very directional and not loud, so running them while everyone is asleep isn't be a big deal. I've done it when boondocking and if properly positioned it's barely audible.

Sponsored

RH 67

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Rubicon Gladiator, Alfa Romeo Quad
Occupation
Retired DOD, Army SF, SS.

So true. I had a bank of batteries go bad thank god under warranty (9k is the cost) but i still had to pay a 1k hazmat fee. The old battery banks are buried and will remain dangerous for thousands of years.

CMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT, Toyota Highlander, HD FLHRC and FLSTSCI
Occupation
Professional Aviator
Batteries can be recycled, but there are always trade offs. Plug in hybrid has the least imo. Full battery means quiet when you're on the trail but a low din when you're not - but quiet generators are very directional and not loud, so running them while everyone is asleep isn't be a big deal. I've done it when boondocking and if properly positioned it's barely audible.
For every considerate boondocker, such as yourself, there are 130 turds that couldn't care less about people that are seeking quiet....even one regular generator in a small campground will provide a ruinous experience...ask me how i know this!

I want to hear frogs, cicadas, owls, etc..... not the neighbor, a 1/4 mile away and the 12 HP Kohler, chuggin away....

This is only my experience.... everyone's different.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Electric cars are really cool but being a Tesla owner for the last decade there is one thing always on your mind your next charge. Driving on trips on more than one occasion i`ve had to wait several hours just to get plugged in then wait several hours for a full charge, it`s a dynamic that has to be factored in while traveling in an electric car. Second, using for example air conditioning, radio and other electrical devices cuts into the advertised mileage range of the car. Third, charging at home one better have solar panels, if you use the car daily there will be a big jump in the electric bill, every Tesla owner i know has installed solar panels. All of the above is from experience, i have owned five Teslas in the last ten years and will continue to do so, they are great you just have to know what your getting into there is no free ride.
Wait, you mean you have to pay for the electricity that powers your electric car? I thought that power was free...from the batteries. I wonder where all that extra electricity which has to be used to charge electric cars comes from...

RH 67

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Rubicon Gladiator, Alfa Romeo Quad
Occupation
Retired DOD, Army SF, SS.
Wait, you mean you have to pay for the electricity that powers your electric car? I thought that power was free...from the batteries. I wonder where all that extra electricity which has to be used to charge electric cars comes from...
When an electric bill doubles you realize your not saving anything, gas or electric they both want your money.

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
That's a classic "my wife" comment.

Its stupid, you buy a house, but you still have to pay property taxes every year?

You buy a car, it should come with free gas for forever...........RIGHT DEAR.... (eye roll) :facepalm:

As far as electricity bill goes. In Middle Wisconsin, every electric mile on our Pacifica costs 1/2 of what a gas mile would cost. I'll gladly pay $1500 more on my electric bill, if my fuel bill costs $3000 less.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
That's a classic "my wife" comment.

Its stupid, you buy a house, but you still have to pay property taxes every year?

You buy a car, it should come with free gas for forever...........RIGHT DEAR.... (eye roll) :facepalm:

As far as electricity bill goes. In Middle Wisconsin, every electric mile on our Pacifica costs 1/2 of what a gas mile would cost. I'll gladly pay $1500 more on my electric bill, if my fuel bill costs $3000 less.
If it really was as easy as $1,500 of electricity is worth $3,000 of gas, I’m with you. But, how about the cost and energy needed to produce those batteries and charging? There are always hidden costs and considerations that most people forget about. I hope one day we get to the point that alternative fuels surpass the value of gasoline/diesel, but I’m not sure we’re there yet. Hybrid technologies are very much worth pursuing, but it has to be based on reality and not political propaganda.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
If it really was as easy as $1,500 of electricity is worth $3,000 of gas, I’m with you. But, how about the cost and energy needed to produce those batteries and charging? There are always hidden costs and considerations that most people forget about. I hope one day we get to the point that alternative fuels surpass the value of gasoline/diesel, but I’m not sure we’re there yet. Hybrid technologies are very much worth pursuing, but it has to be based on reality and not political propaganda.
what i meant was,
I bought a 2019 chrysler pacifica hybrid limited with basically ever option. It cost the same TO ME as a fully optioned limited GAS version, around $52,000.

I then calculated my cost per kilowatt and the average killowatts needed to drive 1 mile after months of ownership. Then i compared that to the cost for me to drive the van 1 mile with just gasoline.

The electricity mile is 1/2 the expense TO ME as 1 mile from gasoline on the same van.

True there are environmental costs to build the batteries, but there also are environmental costs to making the ICE version. I'm not smart enough to calculate those

OH, and I got a $7,500 hybrid tax credit for buying the hybrid version instead of the gas one. So I personally am WAY AHEAD on the gas version, because everybody else's taxes subsidized my purchase.....I know i know, that's an argument for another day. :beer::beer::beer:

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
what i meant was,
I bought a 2019 chrysler pacifica hybrid limited with basically ever option. It cost the same TO ME as a fully optioned limited GAS version, around $52,000.

I then calculated my cost per kilowatt and the average killowatts needed to drive 1 mile after months of ownership. Then i compared that to the cost for me to drive the van 1 mile with just gasoline.

The electricity mile is 1/2 the expense TO ME as 1 mile from gasoline on the same van.

True there are environmental costs to build the batteries, but there also are environmental costs to making the ICE version. I'm not smart enough to calculate those

OH, and I got a $7,500 hybrid tax credit for buying the hybrid version instead of the gas one. So I personally am WAY AHEAD on the gas version, because everybody else's taxes subsidized my purchase.....I know i know, that's an argument for another day. :beer::beer::beer:
How far can you go per charge in the vehicle ?

I know working in logistics that it is becoming increasingly more and more difficult and costly to ship batteries. The Lithium batteries are becoming taboo as you can no longer put them on an aircraft so they have move by land or water and every year they turn up the screws on the cost to move with increased hazmat fee's etc.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How far can you go per charge in the vehicle ?

I know working in logistics that it is becoming increasingly more and more difficult and costly to ship batteries. The Lithium batteries are becoming taboo as you can no longer put them on an aircraft so they have move by land or water and every year they turn up the screws on the cost to move with increased hazmat fee's etc.
we can go about 30 miles of normal driving in the summer, only like 24 miles in the winter (just a guess).

i'm guessing the plug in wrangler and gladiator will be based off the same hybrid setup as the Pacifica. They either gotta make the pack bigger, more efficient, or it won't get that great of mileage, but either way, if i could get 20miles on a charge, that would take care of most days for me.
Sponsored