JT Eco Diesel at the shop for 6 weeks

Almost

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD & 09 JKU
It might be worth doing some digging on your own to find out if that is in fact true. I only say this because I went to my local dealers parts counter to try and find a $2 shift linkage bushing and when they went into their system they told me they could not be purchased separately and have to buy the whole shifter with the cable and bushing for $120. I walked out in frustration and pulled the parts numbers up online and ordered them with no issues.
Sponsored

OP
OP

davidjor

First Name
David Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel
Occupation
IT
nope, I checked every site on the internet. I have even tried to find perhaps a salvage gladiator with a good DEF tank to no avail.

Mister Lamb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willy's
Occupation
Power Plant Operator
Sorry, Guys. I am still here as the OP. The Jeep is currently still at the shop, with no ideas as to when the replacement tank will be available. They say the tank has sensors inside, which you can't replace without a whole new tank. It's crazy, I'm extremely frustrated and really considering buying a new Tundra at this point. Please someone talk me out of it. I have owned a Jeep since 1991, but I am at my witts end.
I won't talk you out of getting rid of the Jeep but I will talk you out of getting the new Tundra. An alarming amount of people had waste gate issues that required the entire passenger side turbo to be replaced. There's also currently a recall for a malfunctioning backup camera. Not off to a great start for a new model.

2020 V8 is the better buy.

AzGladius

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave JT
Occupation
Electronics and stuff
I won't talk you out of getting rid of the Jeep but I will talk you out of getting the new Tundra. An alarming amount of people had waste gate issues that required the entire passenger side turbo to be replaced. There's also currently a recall for a malfunctioning backup camera. Not off to a great start for a new model.

2020 V8 is the better buy.
I just traded my 8k mile 2020 SR5 4WD in on this Gladiator because it would have set me back 10k minimum in parts just to make it as relatively capable offroad as this Mojave is in stock form. Let's not forget that 9 mpg fuel economy and 26/38 gallon tanks to fill for 120-160 dollars a trip. The Tundra is great for towing, shit for DD and offroading. The Tacoma can't find a gear to save it's own life, owned a 3rd Gen Taco prior to the Tundra. Also not a solid option. I chose the 3.6 because I was sus over the longevity of the 3.0 ED, looks like my paranoia may have been accurate. Sorry to the OP for the frustration. At this level of cost, this shouldn't be a thing...

Sponsored

OP
OP

davidjor

First Name
David Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel
Occupation
IT
I'm really not a big into off-roading, in fact, I would rather buy a crappy Suzuki Samurai and tear that up rather than my 55K dollar Gladiator. I like the versatility of the gladiator, 4x4, convertible, truck, styling, etc. I think if parts were readely available, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Txjeep69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
This sounds very familiar. I have a diesel-pusher motor home. There is this wide spread issue among motorhomes and some truckers where level sensors go out in the def unit. The result is that the engine thinks you are out of def (or have bad def) and it derates the engine. Def heads are on National back order because you can’t just replace the sensor. Cummins created a flash for the computer that will avoid derate while you wait for your new def head, but the problem is they won’t do it until after you have the failure, so you can be stranded. Some smart motorhome guys came up with a solution which simulates a 75% full def signal to trick the computer (def sensor simulator - DSS). They posted how to build one on the web so people can have a way to get where they’re going in case that sensor goes out. I built one myself for my 8.9l Cummins. This fix has only been tested on Cummins engines as far as I know, but it might be worth reaching out to these guys if you can’t get your def head.

My point in all this is to let you know that this is not necessarily an uncommon issue among def equipped diesels and give some additional context. These faulty def head sensors might all be made by the same few companies. Hopefully this does not become a common issue for the eco diesel as I’m looking to buy one. This is not what I wanted to read.

I hope this is somehow helpful to someone.

In any case, good luck!!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
How about stopping manufacturing new ones and using those parts to make current customers whole, then pick back up when parts are more accessible.
If I had a dollar for every time someone says that having no idea how impossible that is........

And hasn't anyone noticed that some people are indeed waiting for NEW vehicles months, sometimes several month. Supply chain and staffing issues are causing delays even in getting part for new ones.

.I swear these manufactures just make everything more complicated than it needs to be nowadays.
Really? Maybe talk to your representatives and the EPA about that.
Manufacturers make things that customers demand, and that laws say must be made.

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
When I was looking for parts I started calling the dealerships. Found what I was looking for. But they wouldn't sell it to me. Said it was already spoken for. Just waiting on someone to pick it up.

OP
OP

davidjor

First Name
David Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel
Occupation
IT
If I had a dollar for every time someone says that having no idea how impossible that is........

And hasn't anyone noticed that some people are indeed waiting for NEW vehicles months, sometimes several month. Supply chain and staffing issues are causing delays even in getting part for new ones.

Really? Maybe talk to your representatives and the EPA about that.
Manufacturers make things that customers demand, and that laws say must be made.
Frankly, I don't really care about the customers who are WAITING for new vehicles... I spent my 55k already, and expect a level of service and for companies to take care of the customers who already purchased, forget about gaining new customers or orders. Having owned a Jeep since 1991, I can say, this will be my last one... PERIOD, I'm buying a Toyota...

Sponsored

my dog Trigger

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 rubicon gladiator Diesel
Occupation
construction
Vehicle Showcase
well how is every one doing here is the latest got the jeep back after 58 days they only forgot a couple bolts and the def skid plate had to go back and have them put it on as for jeep wave you get no responce back from them going to try going through a different superviser in the morning one head ache after another

Zybane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Occupation
Military Pilot
Frankly, I don't really care about the customers who are WAITING for new vehicles... I spent my 55k already, and expect a level of service and for companies to take care of the customers who already purchased, forget about gaining new customers or orders. Having owned a Jeep since 1991, I can say, this will be my last one... PERIOD, I'm buying a Toyota...
Funny how people think Toyota is some miracle cure.

Toyota has had:
service bulletins
Documenting the process of troubleshooting common problems.

and

recall campaigns
Time-sensitive, repairs for widespread safety problems.

1is2many

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 gladiator rubicon diesel
Occupation
Construction Planning Supervisor
My 2021 EcoDiesel has been at the shop waiting on a DEF tank for over 6 weeks. The part is on backorder with NO EXPECTED DELIVERY date in sight. I opened a case with Jeep, and it falls under the lemon law; however, even that takes 6 weeks to complete. This just sucks... Does anyone know where I can get a DEF tank from a wrecked Gladiator? Or anyone have any ideas as to what I can do?
Anything over 30 days can be lemon law in NV, check your state laws.

"
1) If there are four or more repairs for the same problem in your car a Lemon Law presumption applies even if there are only four days in the repair shop.

2) If you have a repair that takes 30 or more days, then it doesn’t matter that there has only been one repair. You still get the benefit of the Lemon Law presumption."

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Its amazing to me that these dealers aren't getting creative as these trucks approach lemon law time out of service.

When I worked as a service writer, if a car was approaching lemon law time out of service, it was all hands on deck.

We'd have pulled a tank out of a car that was on our lot to get it back on the road. Then negotiated with the manufacturer to not charge us interest on the floor planned vehicle until they could get us a tank.

There are creative ways around this that a responsive, customer focused dealer can make happen.

Do you think a Lexus customer is ever left without their car for 6 weeks??
And if the answer is Yes., how much do you want to bet that they re driving around in a brand new loaner similar or better than their vehicle.

Jeep/Chrysler appears to be absolutely clueless when it comes to service.

And in this case, it could cost them tens of thousands in a buy-back.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Funny how people think Toyota is some miracle cure.

Toyota has had:
service bulletins
Documenting the process of troubleshooting common problems.

and

recall campaigns
Time-sensitive, repairs for widespread safety problems.
That's nice. But how long is the vehicle off the road when these campaigns are done.

Jeep seems to have DEF tanks necessary to build diesels.

Have you read some of the horror stories from 4xe customers on the JLforum?? Its like they build and sell these vehicles with absolutely no freaking planning as to how they are gong to support them after the sale.
Sponsored