First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL and Gladiator
Occupation
Plastic Surgeon
Does anyone know if the JT’s got a brake upgrade from the JL’s? I’m going to put 37’s with Black Rhino armory and I’m trying to decide if I will need a brake upgrade. I would feel better about not doing the upgrade if the rubicon gladiators already had better brakes than rubicon JL.
Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Does anyone know if the JT’s got a brake upgrade from the JL’s? I’m going to put 37’s with Black Rhino armory and I’m trying to decide if I will need a brake upgrade. I would feel better about not doing the upgrade if the rubicon gladiators already had better brakes than rubicon JL.
I can’t say about the JL brakes, but the JT brakes (at least on mine) seem sufficient to me. My last JK had the Teraflex big brake kit and the JT seems better.

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Hawk LTS pads are enough upgrade for 40s on the JK

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
From what I understand, the JT gets the "HD brakes" from the front of the JL, but, the rears are unique to only the JT. They are huge. They look like something you'd see on a 2500 pickup.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
From what I understand, the JT gets the "HD brakes" from the front of the JL, but, the rears are unique to only the JT. They are huge. They look like something you'd see on a 2500 pickup.
The rear brakes on the JT comes with 13.9" rotors, so yes, the size of these would give John Holmes an inferiority complex...

Sponsored

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 F 450, 17 JK Rubicon RECON, 21 Glady
Occupation
ReTired
Dunno the diff tween JL vs JT. But lets call it for what it is:

37's is at the outer edge of your brakes ability, mitigate that with a set of EBC pads, there are other great pads out there in tests after test the EBC can just say STOP, there are others but make sure they are made in the US or certainly not china and high quality, K Mart has the K Stoppers on sale, I'll pass I think.

If you ever want to go pass 37's I would NOT stay with OEM brakes, pads and rotors are too CHEAT to risk lives and some ambulance-chasing lawyer get his hands on you and you will pay the rest of your life...its one thing to play at the outer edges of OEM parameters, it's another thing to exceed them so far that its just not smart!!

Remember your front brakes are up to 75% of the stopping power of a vehicle and adding 37's they are going to need some help especially if you drive in daily commute stop n go etc. Its the heat build-up that becomes the problem.

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
there are other great pads out there in tests after test the EBC can just say STOP
EBC had a bad habit of prematurely warping rotors on the JK.
I've ran both the EBC Yellows and Hawk LTS back to back on identical jeeps. Hawk was a bit better without the history of rotor warp.

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ReTired
EBC had a bad habit of prematurely warping rotors on the JK.
I've ran both the EBC Yellows and Hawk LTS back to back on identical jeeps. Hawk was a bit better without the history of rotor warp.
I have not heard that NOT saying you are blowin smoke, but thanks for the tip. Usually, on a switch to EBC I do recommend going with new rotors, in past, I have recommended that but not pressed it on near new Jeeps.

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I have not heard that NOT saying you are blowin smoke, but thanks for the tip. Usually, on a switch to EBC I do recommend going with new rotors, in past, I have recommended that but not pressed it on near new Jeeps.
Here is one source about the rotor issue. It once was a long thread on jkforum with a bunch of users on one of the forums but it got deleted because the forum admin got sponsored by a different brand. In it's time it was full of great info.

https://www.jeepswag.com/jeep_jk_brakes/

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
I had EBC rotors and pads on my ‘07 Avalanche and they were great. My friend put EBC on his RAM a couple of years later and had rotor warp issues repeatedly. I haven’t had recent experience to know if things got better.

My JT has oodles (tech term) more braking than my ‘12 JK. I’ve run 35s. The JK always took more pedal effort than average, but I never feared it couldn’t stop.

Sponsored

OP
OP

pcwilson

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL and Gladiator
Occupation
Plastic Surgeon
Thanks for all the useful information. My plan is to test my stopping power after my build is complete with factory pads. If any concern, I will try some different pads and I’m leaning towards
Hawk LTS. If that doesn’t allow me to stop on a dime, I will get upgraded brake system. This is going to be my daily driver and I have a 3 and 6 year old, so safety is top priority.

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ReTired
Thanks for all the useful information. My plan is to test my stopping power after my build is complete with factory pads. If any concern, I will try some different pads and I’m leaning towards
Hawk LTS
. If that doesn’t allow me to stop on a dime, I will get upgraded brake system. This is going to be my daily driver and I have a 3 and 6 year old, so safety is top priority.
Nothing wrong with Hawk at all!

I like the way you are thinking and I like the way you are talking. To many people let the cosmetics over rule their thinking!

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ReTired
Here is one source about the rotor issue. It once was a long thread on jkforum with a bunch of users on one of the forums but it got deleted because the forum admin got sponsored by a different brand. In it's time it was full of great info.

https://www.jeepswag.com/jeep_jk_brakes/
I read that, interesting.

More confirmation that drilled and slotted bring more problems than it adds in stopping if ANY. I have noticed that on some of the really go fast cars with MEGA $$$$ brake systems by Brembo and all kinds of trick rotors, that there were no drilled and slotted rotors. My Z06 Corvette did not have them, the ZR1 does not have them and the new C8's with the racing brake option does not have them...must be a reason for it!

I personally as an engineer have always been slightly dubious of drilled and slotted and that goes in spades for any Jeep that goes off road. Slots and drilling and pick up a lot of dirt, sand, rocks, mud you name it, I just don't think its a good idea, never have and never ran drilled/slotted rotors because of that.

OP
OP

pcwilson

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL and Gladiator
Occupation
Plastic Surgeon
Neither Hawk LTS nor EBC websites have gladiators as an option for ordering pads. Is there another brake pad equivalent, such as Ram 1500, or will I have to wait until they make pads specifically for a gladiator?
Sponsored