JTR Towing weight reduction

jglenndavis83

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
This week I will be using a "CAT" scale and will give the numbers sometime next week with trailer hooked up. I know my hitch (ball) weight is 560 lbs (with only 25% fresh water and NO black or gray in tank), which comes off the 1000 lbs that I have. So you can see adding 2 people and a dog, does not leave much for any items in bed. That is the main reason I may try and save a 100 lbs with the changes I listed.

Except for the "Max Tow" on the Sport S, all the Gladiators (especially the Overland) have a really low cargo weight allowance. The Airstream 16' has a max GVWR of 4,300 lbs. That compared to my available 6,000 lbs, means I have plenty of space there. It is the Max GVW of the Gladiator at 5,800 lbs that is low. I know my Gladiator weighs in on a CAT scale with full tanks and NOTHING in the bed or no passagers at 4,800 lbs. A well equipped Diesel Gladiator Overland has even less that a 1,000 of people + cargo allowed. That is a real shame.

take care, be safe, Bob
Thanks Bob. I have a Gladiator Rubicon with 6250 GVWR so I have a bit more room to work than your Overland. I look forward to hearing about your CAT weight.
Sponsored

OP
OP
kclendaniel

kclendaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
This week I will be using a "CAT" scale and will give the numbers sometime next week with trailer hooked up. I know my hitch (ball) weight is 560 lbs (with only 25% fresh water and NO black or gray in tank), which comes off the 1000 lbs that I have. So you can see adding 2 people and a dog, does not leave much for any items in bed. That is the main reason I may try and save a 100 lbs with the changes I listed.

Except for the "Max Tow" on the Sport S, all the Gladiators (especially the Overland) have a really low cargo weight allowance. The Airstream 16' has a max GVWR of 4,300 lbs. That compared to my available 6,000 lbs, means I have plenty of space there. It is the Max GVW of the Gladiator at 5,800 lbs that is low. I know my Gladiator weighs in on a CAT scale with full tanks and NOTHING in the bed or no passagers at 4,800 lbs. A well equipped Diesel Gladiator Overland has even less that a 1,000 of people + cargo allowed. That is a real shame.

take care, be safe, Bob
Tongue weight is defiantly an issue as the whole exercise began with less about what can be pulled and more about what can you pull within the payload rating. You can reduce the weight of the truck (remove stuff) or reduce the tongue weight (risky as you need at least 10% for stability).

I am working on shifting from a single deep cycle that came with my trailer to two LiFePo batteries located in the rear thus shifting the battery weight from front to rear while increasing capacity 4x. I like the idea of the aluminum tanks but why not just run one 20lb steel instead of two for roughly the same weight? I will probably pull one of my 20lb tanks when the weather does not require the furnace.