Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, when I do it it's all coming out.
And then your Gladiator will go a lot faster, be more zippy in town and perhaps get much better mpg, perhaps even move from 14 to 15 due to the massive weight savings you'll see.
You may gain 0.00000003 seconds at the track.

Seriously, I can see removing a ground and pulling a fuse to get it started or get by for a while, but in the longer term, you've got extra weight. I can see at least removing the battery if doing the jumperless bypass for the longer term.
Wiring I'd be tempted to leave in place because there's nothing at all saved by removing it, and in the future, like I found out already, if I trade it through a dealer - "put it back to stock".
I'd slip a battery back in place, put the fuse back in, put the ground cable back, there, it's stock again.
(I won't go that route because I use ESS, but IF I were otherwise inclined...... )
It's just how I do modifications on things - I prefer to do things I can easily "undo" in the future. I got into that habit with my cars - future generations that want things "restored" can put things back without much effort.
Sponsored

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
And then your Gladiator will go a lot faster, be more zippy in town and perhaps get much better mpg, perhaps even move from 14 to 15 due to the massive weight savings you'll see.
You may gain 0.00000003 seconds at the track.

Seriously, I can see removing a ground and pulling a fuse to get it started or get by for a while, but in the longer term, you've got extra weight. I can see at least removing the battery if doing the jumperless bypass for the longer term.
Wiring I'd be tempted to leave in place because there's nothing at all saved by removing it, and in the future, like I found out already, if I trade it through a dealer - "put it back to stock".
I'd slip a battery back in place, put the fuse back in, put the ground cable back, there, it's stock again.
(I won't go that route because I use ESS, but IF I were otherwise inclined...... )
It's just how I do modifications on things - I prefer to do things I can easily "undo" in the future. I got into that habit with my cars - future generations that want things "restored" can put things back without much effort.
There ain't a dealer on the planet that would notice. Not one.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
There ain't a dealer on the planet that would notice. Not one.
Unless there was warranty and the new owner went in and complained.........
One test they do here before reselling is battery tests. Told me directly by the dealer when I asked about my 2020 being sold.
But for the casual buyer and for dealers, not likely noticed (oh, my wife would - she complains if it doesn't work right)

Andy29847

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler Rubicon, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Adding a little anecdotal info. I had a series of stop start issues with my 2020 Jeep. The dealer finally replaced the main battery and I quit having problems. One thing I noticed after the main battery was replaced. The voltmeter always showed charging voltage in the 14.6v-14.7v range. I feel like this was an indication of the age of the aux battery. Believing this, I was concerned that the old aux battery would significantly shorten the life of the new main battery. Last week, I pulled the F42 fuse and disconnected the aux battery negative cable. I have been watching my voltmeter on the info display since then. My Jeep still begins charging at 14.7v. The charging voltage goes down as I drive until it is 13.9v (after 30 minutes). I'm going to stick with the one battery and turn the stop/start off with the dash switch every time.

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
Will removing this fuse eliminate the START STOP NOT READY warning message?

Sponsored

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
Not likely. That message is based on a ton of other factors that may or may not be battery related, or may not even be an issue. Things like steering wheel angle, cabin climate control, etc. can prompt that notification. Even if it is battery related, removing the fuse wouldn't fix the voltage anyway.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
No. The system may have detected an engine problem, misfire, or have some other issue like the cats not getting hot enough, etc.
There's at least, likely more, 24 things that will determine if the ESS works.
AC/HVAC set to LO which is max will do it, as will a host of other things.

If it says "battery charging" then you have battery and/or voltage problems and no fuse will fix that.

I use the ESS messages as sort of a troubleshooting clue. If it's not ready, there's something going on that's less than optimum.

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
No. The system may have detected an engine problem, misfire, or have some other issue like the cats not getting hot enough, etc.
There's at least, likely more, 24 things that will determine if the ESS works.
AC/HVAC set to LO which is max will do it, as will a host of other things.

If it says "battery charging" then you have battery and/or voltage problems and no fuse will fix that.

I use the ESS messages as sort of a troubleshooting clue. If it's not ready, there's something going on that's less than optimum.
Should I be able to read an error code on my reader?

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
After removing the negative cable, and pulling the fuse, no errors. Recently I've begun to get the Avengers logo. Changed main battery and was good for a day, but now the Avenger logo pops up after a few minutes of driving.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
After removing the negative cable, and pulling the fuse, no errors. Recently I've begun to get the Avengers logo. Changed main battery and was good for a day, but now the Avenger logo pops up after a few minutes of driving.
I'm probably the only one out of 10,000 - but I have no idea what an "Avengers logo" is.
I mean, my Jeep has all the Jeep stuff, but no cartoon or movie characters I'm aware of other than the duck mode switch.

Sponsored

Jimko71

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator High Altitude
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer
I'm probably the only one out of 10,000 - but I have no idea what an "Avengers logo" is.
I mean, my Jeep has all the Jeep stuff, but no cartoon or movie characters I'm aware of other than the duck mode switch.
Jeep Gladiator Jumperless aux battery/PCR bypass 1701377522110

whysoserious

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave, 2006 Rubicon
Occupation
Professional former employee
I can only assume it means this...

Jeep Gladiator Jumperless aux battery/PCR bypass 1701377686947

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I can only assume it means this...

1701377686947.png
And to an IT person that can mean Auto stop/start NOT

So I guess "Avengers logo" is easier to spell than ESS error or service ESS 🤪 LOL

I could never figure out why people in one of my other hobbies keeps saying "I can't get my dizzy clamp loose" or call a engine part a "dizzy". Must be an internet thing.
Just call it a bloody distributor! What's up with this "dizzy" bit - can't spell a complex word?
The only 'dizzy' in that car is the driver.

GWolgamott

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Application Analyst
Ha someone was riding with me when I first got mine and asked me why I had a duck button. Took me a bit to figure wth they were talking about.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Ha someone was riding with me when I first got mine and asked me why I had a duck button. Took me a bit to figure wth they were talking about.
Yeah, that one makes sense even to someone like my wife.
Sponsored