Sponsored

Just general manual transmission driving question

Empty Pockets

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S, Sting Ray, 6 Speed (YES!)
That explanation clears up things I’ve wondered about for years. It is clear and concise. Thanks!
Sponsored

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
For those wondering, modern drive-by-wire manuals have rev hang programmed into them for emission reasons. The catalytic converter is only able to effectively do its job in a tight A/F range. Too lean = more CO2. Too rich = more NO2. The rev hang is programmed in so the engine doesn't experience a sudden rich environment every time you snap the throttle body closed during a shift. Unburnt fuel suddenly is without neccessary air to burn it efficiently and you end up with a brief rich environment. The 'hang' gives the engine time to fully burn that fuel.

Its annoying.
Yes it is, very well explained too. I hope to find a cure for this one day and also a snappier throttle response that matches my brain/foot inputs too. I want to be connected to my 'go'.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I have a technique where I "tap" super fast, and lightly on the accelerator during super slow speed maneuvers to conquer low speed bucking with 1st gear. I noticed when I try that with the Gladiator that eventually the rpm will go up and it wants to burn any extra fuel I threw in there by tapping.

I also noticed that while descending a super steep long decline in 1st gear 4WD low, that any 2 in a row or more slight accelerator depress will push the rpms up more than anticipated to burn off excess fuel again...

I have gotten used to it, but, I noticed this the first time I ran off-road trails with my Rubicon JT with manual tranny.

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
I have a technique where I "tap" super fast ...
I look forward to trying this. I'm not up to speed on all this drive-by-wire stuff and appreciate all I've learned on this thread.

IPRoutes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Mojave 2023 Bright White
Occupation
Sr. Network Architect
Except for the 1st to 2nd gear shift, shifting up at 3k rpm is ideal, and it brings rpm to 2k or above in the higher gear.
Sponsored