K&N filter

DirkG

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
I think we can all agree no matter which way you fall on the fence, the cleaner the filter, the better the airflow. Keep it clean, replace the dry or clean/oil often and you'll be better off.

And please for the Love of God don't get a cone air filter that pulls hot air from the middle of the engine bay.....

Jeep Gladiator K&N filter attachment
Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
That large particle no air flow contamination number for the K&N makes me wonder if there was a problem with the setup of the test setting...its so drastically different than the others that it screams testing error to me. 2,972 vs the next closest of 126.

I also noticed is that the air filters were not placed in the test site the same way. most filters were placed pleats facing up, where the K&N was placed pleats down. Correct me if im wrong but I believe that these filters are meant to be placed pleats down for all vehicle applications.

Another question I have is how often are filters truly introduced to large particle size media? does normal daily driving truly expose a vehicle to large amounts of 5 micron + particle size? I get it that its often enough that vehicles need an air filter, but still makes me curious. Im not being snarky here, just legitimately curious. I rather enjoy learning this sort of stuff.

Sponsored

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S with max tow package, 2008 Suburban LTZ
Occupation
ICU Nurse
I just put one in. I guess if my engine blows I'll state it right here--you can tell me I told you so.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
I just put one in. I guess if my engine blows I'll state it right here--you can tell me I told you so.
It won't blow. It will just get a lot more wear than normal, and you may prematurely cause a problem with the air sensors. The sensor problems is what my brother (a mechanic) sees most often with the K&N, not blown motors.

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S with max tow package, 2008 Suburban LTZ
Occupation
ICU Nurse
It won't blow. It will just get a lot more wear than normal, and you may prematurely cause a problem with the air sensors. The sensor problems is what my brother (a mechanic) sees most often with the K&N, not blown motors.
I have no idea but my best guess is that most issues with mass flow sensor is after the first cleaning and re-oiling i.e. not doing it right.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Glad I came across this thread. Only had the KN filter in for under 5k miles. Will go back to OEM

Sponsored

kelkolb

First Name
Kelley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I'm going to order the afe dry filter. I really just want a washable filter.

rafaelsmith

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Well have you? I was surprised how deep the pleats are. K&N is for semi performance street cars, not a 3.6 N/A engine.
I am using WIX filter.

Nothing has changed my mind that K&N is mostly and literally expensive snake oil. If anything the video showed me just how harmful they can be.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
I used to be a believer. And I think when I was young and messing with two-stroke bikes from the 70s, K&N was useful. Many cars also had provably bad filter boxes and filters. Then I kept believing until I saw the dirt and "goo" in the intake as compared to paper, in more modern cars. And I realized that paper filters got SO much better over the years, while K&N is still exactly the same. I think as old people die off, so will K&N.

Cdemarac

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
I had one in my old jeep wj. Doing an oil analysis on it with and later without you could see more contamination in the oil with the k&n. That was enough for me to never use one again

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
Oh yeah, Blackstone labs has several papers on how much more dirt is in the oil samples from engines with re-usable filters.
Sponsored