Leaking axle seal?

AXG1040

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Mojave
Add me to the list. 21 Mojave built 11/20. Just under 200 miles. After reading this post I looked it over closer and caught the leak on the passenger rear. Bummer...but love this truck and warranty will take care of it so no worries.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Is this perhaps limited to 2021 model year or have those with 2020 models seen issues?
Has it been narrowed down any - trim level, model year, and further - build dates?

Axeman

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Auto Tech
Finally got mine into the dealer this morning. They haven't seen the issue yet with any other gladiators. They first tried telling me it wasn't leaking even though the entire RR wheel is covered in oil. I met with the foreman who agreed that it was leaking. They ordered the new axle with the seal and bearing but as others have mentioned it is on backorder.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Finally got mine into the dealer this morning. They haven't seen the issue yet with any other gladiators. They first tried telling me it wasn't leaking even though the entire RR wheel is covered in oil. ...........
Some people can't see a 2x4 when it's 2 inches from their forehead and coming in fast.

This is spooky as I'm sure every person here already knows - grease/oil, etc. NOT good for tire rubber and it can't help brake operation either should it get to brakes.
Jeep axles on backorder. That sort of implies something...............

49Gramps

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired Fire & EMS Dispatcher
Funny how it's news to them that this is fairly common! I would guess we're not all seeing different service departments....

Sponsored

gpwrang33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ 2021 Hydro Blue JTSS MAX TOW
Is this perhaps limited to 2021 model year or have those with 2020 models seen issues?
Has it been narrowed down any - trim level, model year, and further - build dates?
Reading through the thread i believe its only the wide track axles, ie: Max Tow, Rubicon, and Mojave.
Not sure about the High Altitude if they are having issues. It appears its only 2021 models built some time in October 2020 till some time in 2021 (February?), not sure what the most recent date was.

49Gramps

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired Fire & EMS Dispatcher
Reading through the thread i believe its only the wide track axles, ie: Max Tow, Rubicon, and Mojave.
Not sure about the High Altitude if they are having issues. It appears its only 2021 models built some time in October 2020 till some time in 2021 (February?), not sure what the most recent date was.
Nope! My leaky Overland was just built in April.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, just wondering if there was a way - even though I don't have this specific issue (good grief, better look!) that I'm aware of, but still thought if it could be narrowed down like has been done with other issues - then some folks can rest easy, some can be alerted to watch their axles seals, and maybe Jeep can be shown a specific pattern.

AXG1040

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Mojave
Add me to the list. 21 Mojave built 11/20. Just under 200 miles. After reading this post I looked it over closer and caught the leak on the passenger rear. Bummer...but love this truck and warranty will take care of it so no worries.
So I wiped it all down and drove it for 2 days and not a drop. Heading on a 300 mile trip tomorrow so we’ll see if it drips again. I’m sure it is still there but odd it is not dripping all the time. I’ll likely get it to the dealer next week.

AXG1040

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Mojave
So I wiped it all down and drove it for 2 days and not a drop. Heading on a 300 mile trip tomorrow so we’ll see if it drips again. I’m sure it is still there but odd it is not dripping all the time. I’ll likely get it to the dealer next week.
About 200 miles in it showed itself again. Appointment Friday for dealer to see the leak and order parts. Is what it is. Not going to let it ruin my love of this awesome truck.

29E08720-6C25-47F1-8E73-3B5A8A56F14A.jpeg

Sponsored

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
About 200 miles in it showed itself again. Appointment Friday for dealer to see the leak and order parts. Is what it is. Not going to let it ruin my love of this awesome truck.

Jeep Gladiator Leaking axle seal? 29E08720-6C25-47F1-8E73-3B5A8A56F14A
Take it in stride! I love my truck.

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I’m someone who’s been wrenching on cars since the late sixties, I have no problems with it. If it breaks I’ll get it fixed. Didn’t have these high fangled warranties back then. Just good shade trees and hands on training.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link

Jeep Gladiator Leaking axle seal? 29E08720-6C25-47F1-8E73-3B5A8A56F14A
That drip looks like water to me. If it was oil, I would think it would leave residue all the way up to the point of the leak.

AXG1040

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Mojave
That drip looks like water to me. If it was oil, I would think it would leave residue all the way up to the point of the leak.
Man I wish it was. Took a better picture. Diff fluid for sure. You can see it on the wheel too. The leak occurs between the rotor and dust shield. No worries...warranty will take care of it. This post made me take a look. Otherwise might have been some time to notice.

Jeep Gladiator Leaking axle seal? 01423659-8EFC-449D-9E3B-02E1656742CA
Sponsored

Last edited: