Sponsored

LED Headlights & snow

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
Its BS these headlights should not do this. It's the reason all European cars are required to have headlight washers if xenon or LED. Not sure why this was not given more thought but its it's definitely a safety issue.
When JTs start shipping to Europe then they will need washers as well. So will have to get the retrofit kit to add them to ours.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Kia and BMW owners complain about the same issues. One even stating ice and frost stuck on his and never melted off. The BMW guy said washers did no good.
Saw similar posts on F150 forum where a fellow posted a photo of his Ford pickup headlights caked with snow like the Jeep above was.

Here is other info I've found - (and like said here I have had snow and ice accumulate on other headlamps, too - halogens far less though - they run HOT.)

------------------------------

LED Headlights in Snow
My girlfriend wanted better lighting for her 2012 JK, so she installed the Trucklite LED headlights (yes, she installed them, couldn't wait for me to get off work). They are great. Good pattern and tons of light output. However, snow accumulates on them in a snowstorm and causes them to be much less effective. At that point, the crappy little factory foglights (halogens) throw out more light. I guess that the low power draw of LEDs is a very attractive feature, but the lack of heat to melt off snow is an issue, especially on the lonely Nevada highways. Is there a solution to this? I see that tons of new vehicles come with LED headlights. Have they solved the issue?
Randy
Via [email protected]

LED headlights are a popular upgrade for JKs, but after doing a little research it appears that snow accumulation is a common problem for all aftermarket LED headlight manufacturers and is not specific to Truck-Lite. It seems that the company is also aware of the issue because it has released a heated LED headlight kit, which is available from places like Quadratec (quadratec.com). The newer version of the headlights include a heated lens that automatically activates under 50 degrees Fahrenheit. Unfortunately, this doesn't help your girlfriend's situation, as these heated lenses can't be retrofitted onto unheated lights.

Beyond swapping to the heated LED lights, there isn't a whole lot you can do. Making sure the headlights are wiped clean of snow and ice is always a good practice, and on longer trips, periodically stopping to wipe them off is also a good idea. As for OEM LED lights, it appears that manufacturers take a few different approaches, from heated lenses to redirecting the heat that normally dissipates out of the back of the lights via a heat sink.

Keep in mind that certain conditions will cause snow and ice to accumulate on pretty much any type of headlight, even traditional incandescent bulbs. LED lights are just more susceptible to it because they run cooler than conventional bulbs.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
Since the front end of these things was modified a tad for the extra cooling capacity that was necessary - I'm not sure he'd have found anything - and these are new enough that they had not gone through winters yet.
So unless the Wranglers have the same problem and it's a known thing - wouldn't have been a fruitful search. The design of these is just enough different, without MY doing research, I'd guess it MAY be unique to the JT.
Hard to research "gladiator headlight snow" or similar searches when they've not been driven many miles in snow as of August.
Doesn't really matter, though - if this is indeed a unique design thing then he's not out of his mind digging into it.
So far I've not seen anyone here saying "yeah, all vehicles have that problem" so - to me it's an open question - is this an issue unique to JT or do other Jeeps do this under the same condition?
I know it snows in Ohio, especially Cleveland, Toledo, etc.
JK’s, JL’s and Yes JT’s will have this issue.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, along with BMWs, Kia, Ford trucks and others with LED - seems it's a universal thing even on foreign makes.
The BMW folks and the KIA folks were complaining about the same thing when I did my 5 minute search.
So we can't say the Euroeans have solved it. One guy even said the "washers" didn't do great and complained of how they worked (or didn't work).
Unless they use a really drastic mix of fluids, the normal fluids used here would freeze on the lights as well.

Sponsored

Woga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Liberty, big Merc, VW Touareg Punkn gladiator rubicon
Occupation
Ski bum
Clearly I didn’t do my research. I plead guilty. And not just for $1k. It’s near $60k. But that doesn’t alter the fact that it’s a problem.

But 3 models of Jeep? All with the same problem?

In that case yes, I do blame the company and the rest of the world outside Ohio suggests it’s a safety issue.

Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
My '16 GMC Sierra SLT with LED headlights did the same thing. When you drive in freezing precipitation the precipitation will freeze to your vehicle.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My '16 GMC Sierra SLT with LED headlights did the same thing. When you drive in freezing precipitation the precipitation will freeze to your vehicle.
Yeah, my research today shows it's not a Jeep thing although the size and shape and fact the light is surrounded so the snow can't slide off may not help - but Ford, Kia, BMW and others all said the same thing - snow builds up on 'em. BMW of all things - seriously.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
Clearly I didn’t do my research. I plead guilty. And not just for $1k. It’s near $60k. But that doesn’t alter the fact that it’s a problem.

But 3 models of Jeep? All with the same problem?

In that case yes, I do blame the company and the rest of the world outside Ohio suggests it’s a safety issue.
I would agree with you 100% if the LED's came standard. They do not. They are an option. If at some point the LED's come standard they should come heated this technology in nothing new.

OP
OP

RG48820

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon; 2018 Stinger GT2; Dodge Stealth RT/TT
During our most recent snow event in Michigan didn't see the warp drive affect nearly as bad as the earlier storm that prompted me to create the thread. Wind was not nearly as bad though. Neither time did I get any significant amount of build up. I have had mt Stinger GT2 with LEDs since Januar and have never had the snow accumulate on those lights either... and the are not heated (that I'm aware of ;))

Sponsored

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
Not sure what the issue is here or why people are complaining.

LED's produce next to no heat. Halogen lights put out much more allowing any snow to melt fairly quickly, hence the lack of issues with them. This is a standard thing, and if you're upset about this then the lack of understanding of LED lights is no ones fault but your own.

This is not a Jeep issue. It is an LED issue across all makes all over the world. I do believe all manufacturers should make something for snow issues with their LED's but the market discussion for this is non-existent.

I have heated Trucklites in my JK and will be replacing the LEDs in my Gladiator with heated Trucklites whenever they come out.

PS: I have stock Sport Halogen lights if anyone wants them. Just PM me and pay shipping ;)

88mmm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland, 911 TT
Not sure what the issue is here or why people are complaining.

LED's produce next to no heat. Halogen lights put out much more allowing any snow to melt fairly quickly, hence the lack of issues with them. This is a standard thing, and if you're upset about this then the lack of understanding of LED lights is no ones fault but your own.

This is not a Jeep issue. It is an LED issue across all makes all over the world. I do believe all manufacturers should make something for snow issues with their LED's but the market discussion for this is non-existent.

I have heated Trucklites in my JK and will be replacing the LEDs in my Gladiator with heated Trucklites whenever they come out.

PS: I have stock Sport Halogen lights if anyone wants them. Just PM me and pay shipping ;)
Actually it is a Jeep issue and an American car issue. Most LEDs on European cars come with high pressure headlight washers for this reason so there is a "market discussion". This is a safety issue in the US and should be addressed.

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
Actually it is a Jeep issue and an American car issue. Most LEDs on European cars come with high pressure headlight washers for this reason so there is a "market discussion". This is a safety issue in the US and should be addressed.
Then it is a US, all manufacturers issue NOT solely a Jeep issue. I did not realize other markets across the world had something that is standard to fix any snow build up issues.

If there is a market discussion, can you link me to it? I have never seen large scale (or any scale for that matter), "Other markets get this so why can't the US" when it comes to LED lights + snow build up.

My comment still stands: if someone is complaining about LED's in the snow in the US they clearly have no understanding of LED's.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Washers? That spray liquid? At -14°F? Yeah, I'd like to see how well that works. Lol. The chemicals you'd have to use to prevent immediate ice glazing on the lens would eat the lens alive in a period of a couple of years.

DropW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Kia Sephia , 2007 Vulcan 900
Washers? That spray liquid? At -14°F? Yeah, I'd like to see how well that works. Lol. The chemicals you'd have to use to prevent immediate ice glazing on the lens would eat the lens alive in a period of a couple of years.
They use :
1321989198744442544.jpg
. It is Dr. Evil approved .
Sponsored