Sponsored

Leverage Rear Passenger Harness for 12v Power?

peeklay

First Name
brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Hello,

I have a Sport S and did not get the Bluetooth Speaker option. I was thinking about buying a BT speaker that I could leave in the truck and really like the idea of having it powered all the time (and ready when I want to use it).

As I poked around in the back, I noticed this harness behind the rear passenger seat. Does anyone have any idea on what the 'extra' spots on the right side might be? I would love to tap into it, if it could supply 12v power and would build a connector to usb cable.

Thoughts?

Harness on passenger side behind back seat.
20190605_165810-jpg.jpg
Sponsored

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Following. It would be awesome if there is something that can be tapped into back there. No such thing as to many outlets in a vehicle.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I've got to check that out on mine, with a multi meter. I'm planning on installing 3 or more 12 v outlets and a USB power ports in mine, that area would be good for a 12v one. 3 March 20. Well I was checking it last night and the other side has a connector with just a few wires on it. The wiring wouldn't carry much more than a USB power due to the size. I'm going to avoid hooking up anything to it until I find out what it's for.

Last edited:

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Hello,

I have a Sport S and did not get the Bluetooth Speaker option. I was thinking about buying a BT speaker that I could leave in the truck and really like the idea of having it powered all the time (and ready when I want to use it).

As I poked around in the back, I noticed this harness behind the rear passenger seat. Does anyone have any idea on what the 'extra' spots on the right side might be? I would love to tap into it, if it could supply 12v power and would build a connector to usb cable.

Thoughts?

Harness on passenger side behind back seat.
20190605_165810-jpg.jpg
$10 multi-meter from Harbor Freight will answer your question.

Speculatively, I would be almost certain that at least one of those vacant terminals is hot

OP
OP

peeklay

First Name
brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
$10 multi-meter from Harbor Freight will answer your question.

Speculatively, I would be almost certain that at least one of those vacant terminals is hot
Yeah, I was being lazy. I guess I'll head out to the shed and grab it...ha.

I hope your speculation is correct and I was thinking the same. I'll report back once I'm able.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S on 39's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Tool Man

Sponsored

BigRed97

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Yes there is "power" on network wires.
Depending on the design and speed of the network, that could be 5v, 8v etc...now devide that in half because each leg (+ and -) use half that(to simplify it)
Good luck powering something with 2.5v NEVERMIND the absolute havoc that will cause on the modules on that network. Could be anything from a warning light, to a no start, to a fried module.

BajaDrifter

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Yes there is "power" on network wires.
Depending on the design and speed of the network, that could be 5v, 8v etc...now devide that in half because each leg (+ and -) use half that(to simplify it)
Good luck powering something with 2.5v NEVERMIND the absolute havoc that will cause on the modules on that network. Could be anything from a warning light, to a no start, to a fried module.
You're right it's all powered but not as we would like it to be. I believe it would cause havoc. Better to use one of the Aux switches that are fused and have relays, plus you can chose to set it as a direct battery feed or ign start only. That panel does give you good access though to wire something up. I wish a 500wh battery pack could fit in that tray behind the seat instead of a blue tooth speaker.

BigRed97

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
You're right it's all powered but not as we would like it to be. I believe it would cause havoc. Better to use one of the Aux switches that are fused and have relays, plus you can chose to set it as a direct battery feed or ign start only. That panel does give you good access though to wire something up. I wish a 500wh battery pack could fit in that tray behind the seat instead of a blue tooth speaker.
I'm not sure if you misinterpreted my post or quoted the wrong one, or whatever else ...

just because a wire has some voltage on it, does not make it a power source. And even some wires that have full battery voltage are not suitable to add circuits to

It's not that it's "better" to use the aux switches. Yes you should be using aux switches but that's not what were addressing. You CANNOT USE CAN BUS WIRES FOR ANYTHING.
So no that pannel does not "give you good access to wire something up"

I apologize if I sound rude or hostile, that's not my intent. I don't want to see some damage their vehicle on bad or misunderstood advice.

BajaDrifter

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I'm not sure if you misinterpreted my post or quoted the wrong one, or whatever else ...

just because a wire has some voltage on it, does not make it a power source. And even some wires that have full battery voltage are not suitable to add circuits to

It's not that it's "better" to use the aux switches. Yes you should be using aux switches but that's not what were addressing. You CANNOT USE CAN BUS WIRES FOR ANYTHING.
So no that pannel does not "give you good access to wire something up"

I apologize if I sound rude or hostile, that's not my intent. I don't want to see some damage their vehicle on bad or misunderstood advice.
Don't see any hostility in your posts at all. I agree you should not use that hub for power. I do think you can open that panel and use the space to put your own connection in though without touching that hub. Seems like there is enough space there and it affords easy access. Is that ok?

BigRed97

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Don't see any hostility in your posts at all. I agree you should not use that hub for power. I do think you can open that panel and use the space to put your own connection in though without touching that hub. Seems like there is enough space there and it affords easy access. Is that ok?
Absolutely
Sponsored