First Name
Tarik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 2017 Jeep JK
Occupation
Education
I just finished installing LOD's Destroyer Sliders on my '21 Jeep Mojave. I had been looking for something to replace the stock (bodymounted) sliders that came with the jeep. Thanks to everyone, this forum has a wealth of information! I tossed the body mounted vs frame mounted argument around in my head for a while. Although I am not a hardcore offroader, I did want something that could perhaps take a whack on occasion. I have slid sideways in the past into a tree/rock formation in my JK. And, my JK has aftermarket body mounted sliders, so...why not try something different this time.

Things I was looking for were more protection and also some sort of step. My jeep has a 2" spacer lift, so it is sometimes awkward getting in and out. Especially out - as I was worried over time my butt dragging across the seat cushion side bolster as my foot reached for the ground was going to damage it :)

Thought I would share some pros/cons and overall ease of installation. It may be just me (sure it is), but the install was a little more of a pain then some folks have reported. I certainly liked the end result, though.

Pros:
  1. Very solidly built and excellent finish
  2. Frame mounted - feel like you could perhaps use them to raise/lift the jeep in a pinch
  3. Look fantastic (IMO)
  4. Steps are very "grippy" - felt like a mud covered shoe would not easily slide off
  5. Steps allow you to easily access the top/roof area of the jeep
  6. Sliders stick out far enough to help with protruding trail objects - including car doors in parking lots!
Cons:
  1. Although frame mounted, some of the attachment points are flag nut assemblies which are fed through some frame holes. I wonder if that is as strong as perhaps a direct bolt on where you would drill and tap the frame? Or welded on sliders. Think this may be a good compromise. Probably for my use; stronger than I need.
  2. Steps are great, but since my jeep is lifted, I almost wish they hung lower (which defeats the purpose, I get it!). It is still a bit akward getting in and out, but in a different way. I get up on the step and then have to scruntch to get under the roof into my seat. Thank goodness for the grab handles on the A-pillars.
  3. As others have noted, the gap (1/4" to about 3/8". Really towards the back is where they get a little tight) between the frame and the body may not be enough if the body flexes and contacts the back of the slider during off-road maneuvers
Some finished pictures:
  1. Jeep Gladiator LOD Destroyer Sliders Install/Review IMG_4140.JPG
Jeep Gladiator LOD Destroyer Sliders Install/Review IMG_4128.JPG
Jeep Gladiator LOD Destroyer Sliders Install/Review IMG_E4129.JPG

Jeep Gladiator LOD Destroyer Sliders Install/Review IMG_4133.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Not2Late

Not2Late

First Name
Tarik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Education
LOD did a great job with packaging. And free shipping!
Jeep Gladiator LOD Destroyer Sliders Install/Review IMG_4101.JPG
Nothing poking out of boxes like some other things I have ordered from other suppliers:
Jeep Gladiator LOD Destroyer Sliders Install/Review IMG_4100.JPG

OP
OP
Not2Late

Not2Late

First Name
Tarik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Education
Brackets laid out. They are really beefy!

Jeep Gladiator LOD Destroyer Sliders Install/Review IMG_4105.JPG

OP
OP
Not2Late

Not2Late

First Name
Tarik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Education
Hardware included:
Jeep Gladiator LOD Destroyer Sliders Install/Review IMG_E4109.JPG

OP
OP
Not2Late

Not2Late

First Name
Tarik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Education
Mounts ready to attach the sliders. Things were eas(ier) up to this point. sliding the bolts from inside the sliders through these mounts and then attaching the washers and nuts from under the jeep was...well...nuts!
Jeep Gladiator LOD Destroyer Sliders Install/Review IMG_4125.JPG

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Not2Late

Not2Late

First Name
Tarik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Education
This is how I did it. Six of the bolts on each side had to be threaded through small openings on the bottom of the sliders to get to the hole to pass through. I think someone else mentioned they tack welded these onto the sliders before install. Too bad I don't have one of those!
Jeep Gladiator LOD Destroyer Sliders Install/Review IMG_4126.JPG

OP
OP
Not2Late

Not2Late

First Name
Tarik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Education
Issue #1 (for me): had to loosen (the center ones), but not remove the dreaded body mount bolts to get the bracket to slide in. Luckily just one side. The other fit fine. I was seriously worried I would snap it or something!
Jeep Gladiator LOD Destroyer Sliders Install/Review IMG_4116.JPG

Jeep Gladiator LOD Destroyer Sliders Install/Review IMG_4115.JPG

OP
OP
Not2Late

Not2Late

First Name
Tarik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Education
Biggest issue I ran into was confusion on my part and also instructions that were not super clear. I used the wrong bolt in this hole (center mount on passenger side) and ended up cross-threading the bolt/hole. Wouldn't tighten and wouldn't come out. Had to cut it off. My options will be to drill this out or take it someplace to put a few beads of weld around that lower bracket attachment.
Jeep Gladiator LOD Destroyer Sliders Install/Review IMG_4136.JPG

The instructions said to use the self-threading bolts - but this is what I got and used. I should have slowed down and paid more attention...

Jeep Gladiator LOD Destroyer Sliders Install/Review IMG_4112.JPG

I had a hole already there in the frame and used a bolt with the wrong thread! The #16 bolt in the instructions ended up being one of two supplied but mixed in (and I did not notice the difference) with the other thicker threaded bolts. So, again, my bad for not really thinking this through. One of those bolts would have screwed in perfectly, I suspect!

Jeep Gladiator LOD Destroyer Sliders Install/Review IMG_4111.JPG

Last edited:

Jeepmonster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 1968 Chevy C10
@Not2Late, are these steps/sliders contoured and follow the body line? The pictures appear that way, but wanted to confirm. Most aftermarket ones appear to be straight, leaving wide gaps near the rear portion. Would you mind measuring the width at the upper flat part (near front fender)? I'm trying to see if it is wide enough to step on to reach across the windshield. Thanks. Looks great, by the way!

OP
OP
Not2Late

Not2Late

First Name
Tarik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Education
@Not2Late, are these steps/sliders contoured and follow the body line? The pictures appear that way, but wanted to confirm. Most aftermarket ones appear to be straight, leaving wide gaps near the rear portion. Would you mind measuring the width at the upper flat part (near front fender)? I'm trying to see if it is wide enough to step on to reach across the windshield. Thanks. Looks great, by the way!
Thanks, they do look great!

Here are what came off. You can definately see the "curve" to them. Yeah, I don't think most people know that there is a contour to the body:

Jeep Gladiator LOD Destroyer Sliders Install/Review IMG_4159

The LOD Destroyers do have the contour as well. Here are the measurements at front, middle, and rear. So nice design that some other sliders don't have. And there is plenty of room to step on them and I was able to reach way past the top/middle of the windshield and onto the mid roof area.

Jeep Gladiator LOD Destroyer Sliders Install/Review IMG_4155
Jeep Gladiator LOD Destroyer Sliders Install/Review IMG_4156
Jeep Gladiator LOD Destroyer Sliders Install/Review IMG_4157

Sponsored

Jeepmonster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 1968 Chevy C10
Thanks, they do look great!

Here are what came off. You can definately see the "curve" to them. Yeah, I don't think most people know that there is a contour to the body:

The LOD Destroyers do have the contour as well. Here are the measurements at front, middle, and rear. So nice design that some other sliders don't have. And there is plenty of room to step on them and I was able to reach way past the top/middle of the windshield and onto the mid roof area.

Thank you for the quick reply! I also got a confirmation from LOD's Sales (they were also quick to reply). Your pictures really show the curvature well. I may go with these. I currently have the Mopar Performance Sliders, which have a bit of a ledge that can be used as steps, but they do not come out far enough. I think my family will be much happier with these. Thanks again!

Almost

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD & 09 JKU
I just put the LOD Armor Lite versions of these on and they share the same mounting brackets. Agree the fit and finish is super nice. I went the extra mile and ended up ordering black stainless steel bolts and washers as well. I also primed and painted all the shims and flag nuts but didn't really need any of them.

Note for diesel owners. Since skid plates and exhaust are opposite you will have open threaded inserts on both side to use so you will not need to drill/tap or use flag nuts for any holes for the middle or rear mount bolts on the bottom of the frame. That said, in the front you will not have bottom bolt holes that you will need to drill and tap. LOD mentions the middle bottom bolts being optional for the gas version of the gladiator. They make no mention of anything for the diesel and if these are optional - I suspect they're not. I'm also not convinced I needed to cut the bracket off my frame, but I never test fit it before I cut it off.

Edit: I saw you note regarding the optional bolt not threading into the frame. They added these threaded inserts with the addition of the diesel - see note above. They need to update their instructions and hardware kit. I ended up going to dealer and picking up some OEM bolts for these.

jeep1

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2024 JLURX
Pro tip (credit goes to @Northridge4x4 for the suggestion) .... use a little silicone on the bolts before trying to get them into those backing plates... I've pulled mine a couple times while putting on some rocker armor and it's so much easier....

Jeep Gladiator LOD Destroyer Sliders Install/Review Screenshot 2023-05-09 at 2.36.23 PM

colindo

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Overland
Looks good and nice write up!

Can I ask the dimension from the bottom of the door to the step? Currently have the Mopar side steps and don't want to lose the step functionality but looking to upgrade to something more rugged.

jeep1

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2024 JLURX
Looks good and nice write up!

Can I ask the dimension from the bottom of the door to the step? Currently have the Mopar side steps and don't want to lose the step functionality but looking to upgrade to something more rugged.
Mine are about 5 1/2 inches from the step to the bottom of the door.
Sponsored