Long Road Trips- Overland or Rubicon

Rokon

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
I find my Rubi very comfortable driving on the highway. Sits a bit higher and different springs, more weight than the Overland. I doubt the highway ride is much different. Can't fathom enough difference to be the deciding factor of the two models.
Then again, I've never driven an Overland...........
Sponsored

OP
OP

Wingman335

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma TRD Pro
I find my Rubi very comfortable driving on the highway. Sits a bit higher and different springs, more weight than the Overland. I doubt the highway ride is much different. Can't fathom enough difference to be the deciding factor of the two models.
Then again, I've never driven an Overland...........
Yeah I would think the highway ride would not be that different- but wanted to get the opinions of you all to get some feedback. But the entire suspension system and gearing ratio is different, so logic says there should be some difference in ride quality.

OP
OP

Wingman335

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma TRD Pro
Would I change anything for long driving trips? Hmmmm, nothing comes readily to mind. A better phone holder maybe? I did lower the air pressure in my tires a little, I'm at about 38 psi now, I did find that made a bit of a difference in the wander Wranglers seem to have on the highway. Other than that, I make sure I have a nice little travel pillow with me so I can kick the seat back and take a nap when necessary, lol. I have found the drivers seat in the JT goes back further than in my JK, so it's better for naps (I have actually slept in my JT two nights on this trip, stuff happens, lol).

It is a very comfortable vehicle, which is one of the things that separates it from the Wranglers of my past. With the truck oriented suspension, and the longer wheel base, you're going to find it is a lot smoother and easier on you than Wranglers have been historically. I am, of course, assuming the JL is much the same as the JT, without the extra wheelbase and different suspension.

Mac
Thanks for your insight, Mac. This really makes it seem that the Rubicon is just as good on the highway as the Overlander (as long as they are equipped with the same kind of tires).

Sponsored

Chaimstein

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Punk'n on order, 1965 Pontiac 2+2
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for all the replies, guys! My heart wants Rubicon, and the way I spec'd the trucks, there's only a 3k difference between Overland and Rubicon.

The only hesitation to getting Rubicon is ensuring a comfortable ride for the wife and kids when we take cross state trips. Having the Rubicon, it looks sweet and I won't have to hesitate when we want to go away from the beaten path.
Lookntell the wife and kids the truth. "You're fine. Quit yer bitchin". Watch yer DVD's."

They'll be fine in a Rubicon.

OP
OP

Wingman335

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma TRD Pro
This right here.

And the $3k a Rubicon costs over an Overland is more than worth it, particularly when resale time comes.
Man... its so hard to believe that it just boils down to the tires- when the two have vastly different suspension parts. But if this is true, it works in my favor!

OP
OP

Wingman335

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma TRD Pro
Lookntell the wife and kids the truth. "You're fine. Quit yer bitchin". Watch yer DVD's."

They'll be fine in a Rubicon.
I guess I'll have to buy a tent to hook up to the Gladiator... because thats where I will be sleeping after I follow your advice, haha!

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Man... its so hard to believe that it just boils down to the tires- when the two have vastly different suspension parts. But if this is true, it works in my favor!
That just really has more to do with articulation.

I drove both before I bought, and really other than the small amount of noise generated by the tires on the Rubicon, there was no perceptible difference that I could discern.

I will qualify that by saying I got out of a JKR so the Gladiator may seem artificially smooth.

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
It's not just the tires, the Rubicon also has Fox Shox, which are valved quite a bit differently than the Overland. They're really good on washboard roads, a little floaty on the highway. The tires also make a difference, but if you get the all terrains on the Rubicon the ride is nice. I've taken 8+hour trips in mine with the whole family and it's very comfortable. For a 3k difference in price, I think the Rubi is a no-brainer as it'll easily cover that difference in resale. Fuel mileage you probably lose 1mpg, mostly due to the added weight and heavier tires.

Other than the shocks, the suspensions are pretty much the same, just slightly different spring rates. All of the geometry and everything is identical, so they will handle and ride similarly, though shock tuning and spring rates definitely affect that to a degree.

Adawg1203

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE
Thanks for your insight, Mac. This really makes it seem that the Rubicon is just as good on the highway as the Overlander (as long as they are equipped with the same kind of tires).
I believe that no matter which model you purchase Overland or Rubicon you will find they both are equally good on highway and, aside from what makes a Rubicon, a Rubicon their basic DNA is exactly the same.

I can speak to the Rubicon since I purchased the LE and find it to be very smooth on the highway. Neither trim will give you that 'Cadillac' feel but they are true trucks.

The name, Rubicon, alone almost leads one to believe it is solely an off-road vehicle with compromised on-road manners. But I don't find that to be the case. Yes, it has an off-road focus for the adventurer, but it rides very well in normal everyday conditions. Yeah it can be a bit 'stiff' riding on 'bad' roads but it's built for that too. if the roads you are driving on are smooth then the Rubicon will be equally smooth. No different than the Overland.

If you are keen on the Rubicon but apprehensive of the ride, IMO don't be. I think you will find it rather pleasant and the family as well. I get some of the features on a Rubicon you may never use, but if you plan on making mods to the Overland anyway it may be better to just go with the Rubi.....

Good luck to you! Neither trim is a wrong choice so whichever trim suits you and the family best, is what counts the most.
Sponsored