Sponsored

Long road trips with JT

tsyj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I drove from Florida to Colorado and back in my '16 JKU. The same trip in my Gladiator would be night and day difference (better)
Sponsored

1OffCraz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Last month I did 10 days on the Trans American Trail, driving about 8 hours or so per day. No complaints at all with the comfort in the JT. My wife commented several times how she couldn't imaging doing that trip in my old 2 door JK. I agreed!

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
I've done a few trips greater than 3 hrs, but nothing more than 5hrs. It's not bad at all, but there are definitely more comfy, and spacious vehicles for the long haul.

On a recent camping trip, I missed my old F150 space wise. with 3 people, two dogs, and associated gear; we were loaded to the brim. Would've had alot more room to spread out in a full size crew cab.

But I think we all realize the trade offs when we buy. Don't miss the F150 going down a tight trail or any time I have the top off!

brog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Regularly drive 10 hours to Tennessee from Virginia in my JT Rubicon with 2" Mopar lift and 35" KO2 BFG's set at 32 psi. Sometimes I turn around and drive back, doing 20 to 22 hours with only a nap or two, using the reclining heated seats to catch some Z's. I'm 58 years old, and have enough VA documented disabilities to make most people wince and I find it pretty comfortable.
JIm, if you don't mind me asking: What area of Virginia are you in? I'm in Hampton Roads and trying to find what dealership is best for service.

Jaydebe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stacy'sMom aka: 2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Renovations
Vehicle Showcase
As someone who's done 26k in 10 months in the JTR including a Coast to Coaster; East coast to Az and about 5 trips from Va to FL, I can say Ram all day long.

That is not to say I regret my JTR for a minute. It's comfy and drives well; but for family trips on the highway, I'd be in the Rebel.

In fact, my purchase was either a Rebel or a JTR, I only went JTR because of the smaller dimensions for heading into the woods.

Sponsored

Reddout99

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2021 80th Anniversary JT Sport S
Occupation
Cad Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't gone as far as most of you, but just did a 6 hour round trip to pick up a new set of 37" tires. Very comfortable with no discomfort at all. More in line with traveling in my wife's 2015 WK2

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep fanboys will tell you that it's great. Or how much better it is than their YJ.

But the reality is that as a travel vehicle, the Gladiator is pretty much at the bottom of the pile compared to modern cars and trucks.

its not terribly roomy, the ride ranges from terrible to not great depending on options, fuel economy is terrible, the motor isn't really happy on the highway, constantly hunting between 5th and 8th, and its loud inside.

My Mojave rides about as well as a Gladiator can ride and I've got a topper on it so I've got tons of cargo space. But the reality is that my wife's 9 year old Volvo wagon ride and drives much better on the highway. It has plenty of space for most trips, gets about 28 mpg on the road and is pretty fast.

I recently drove a friend's Civic Sport hatchback. It cost $25k, is a ball to drive with a nice 6 speed stick, tons of passenger and cargo space and it gets 35 mpg. It was so good, I'm actual thinking of buying one so I put fewer miles on the Gladiator. And it was rock solid and quiet on the highway at 85 mph, while giving 30 mpg at that speed.

I"m attached to the Jeep and want it to last as long as possible.
Sponsored