Looking to buy a soft top and I have an rsi smartcap

georamorim

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray Rubicon
So I'm looking to get a soft top for the truck. I currently have the sunrider top which I love. I'm thinking a soft top would increase the feeling of open air. I do have a smartcap and was wondering does it make it a PITA to install and remove for the season? Also I'm not a huge fan of the look of it open but feel it will look much better because of the cap. Any one have installation experience or even pics of your open soft top with cap? Thoughts?
Sponsored

Beemer533

First Name
Zion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
Field Engineer
I've been missing my soft top actually. I've got an alucab and I've been wondering the same thing.

I'm pretty sure the caps would need to be removed just to get the rear window in and once the cap goes on the window probably wouldn't be coming out.

I'd be fine with that I think..

jonsheritahe04

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave, 2018 F250 Super Duty
Occupation
IT Support
In the same boat with a SmartCap. Thinking I’m going to take off the clamps and try scooting the cap back about 3 or 4 inches, remove the hard top, and sit the soft top in. Going to be a pain removing the HT without a hoist and the SmartCap will not be a picnic but I think it will be better than completely removing. Got another month think it over

Oak

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gladiator
Occupation
realtor
I did it for 1 season. It is doable but tough. It does look better laying soft top back against the cap though l

Gray Matter Jeep

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
n/a
Alu-cab Explorer owner here.

I too would like a soft top & would appreciate any pics of Gladiators with bed toppers, shells, whatever you want to call them.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored

OP
OP
georamorim

georamorim

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray Rubicon
Alu-cab Explorer owner here.

I too would like a soft top & would appreciate any pics of Gladiators with bed toppers, shells, whatever you want to call them.

Thanks in advance.
I ended up buying the soft top and will be installing it when I get a chance. When I do I'll be sure to post pics.

Gray Matter Jeep

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
n/a
I ended up buying the soft top and will be installing it when I get a chance. When I do I'll be sure to post pics.
I am in the process of purchasing a used soft top myself. Once I get it installed I will post pics too.

Since my first post (above), asking for photos, I have since removed & reinstalled my Alu-Cab using our JKU Hard Top hoist. With that in mind I can easily move the topper back a few inches.
HOWEVER I am thinking there's enough between the Alu-Cab & the truck cab to get a soft top installed, without moving the Alu-Cab.

OP
OP
georamorim

georamorim

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray Rubicon
I am in the process of purchasing a used soft top myself. Once I get it installed I will post pics too.

Since my first post (above), asking for photos, I have since removed & reinstalled my Alu-Cab using our JKU Hard Top hoist. With that in mind I can easily move the topper back a few inches.
HOWEVER I am thinking there's enough between the Alu-Cab & the truck cab to get a soft top installed, without moving the Alu-Cab.
Nice. I still haven't gotten around to installing mine yet. Been working on my garage and can't get the Jeep in to hoist the top off. I'm hoping in a couple of weeks to get it done.

Gray Matter Jeep

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
n/a
Update:
To make sure I got the soft top installed the first time, I decided to remove the Alu-Cab so ensure it was not a problem. The fewer non-OEM variables the better, was my thought.

Now that I am done, I can say for certain I can install/un-install the soft top next time without removing the Alu-Cab... but I'll prefer to have my hoist in a useful spot on the garage ceiling (it was not for this swap process)... I could not use it... it's still where it was for our JKU.

Side Note:
The Mopar grab handles that came with my Gladiator do not work with the mopar soft top. Not whatsoever.

Jeep Gladiator Looking to buy a soft top and I have an rsi smartcap 20230425_115052

Jeep Gladiator Looking to buy a soft top and I have an rsi smartcap 20230425_115010

Jeep Gladiator Looking to buy a soft top and I have an rsi smartcap 20230423_155733

Jeep Gladiator Looking to buy a soft top and I have an rsi smartcap 20230423_155738

Ogre_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wranger JL 2 Door, Gladiator 80th
Update:
To make sure I got the soft top installed the first time, I decided to remove the Alu-Cab so ensure it was not a problem. The fewer non-OEM variables the better, was my thought.

Now that I am done, I can say for certain I can install/un-install the soft top next time without removing the Alu-Cab... but I'll prefer to have my hoist in a useful spot on the garage ceiling (it was not for this swap process)... I could not use it... it's still where it was for our JKU.

Side Note:
The Mopar grab handles that came with my Gladiator do not work with the mopar soft top. Not whatsoever.

Jeep Gladiator Looking to buy a soft top and I have an rsi smartcap 20230423_155738

Is that a boot you have over the soft top with the snaps?

Sponsored

Gray Matter Jeep

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
n/a
Is that a boot you have over the soft top with the snaps?
Yes. It is a very simple one ply vinyl boot. Pretty sure it's oem... A few years ago my wife bought a JKU with the "dual top group". The soft top came wrapped in one of these also.

It is a very elemental, no frills, probably just meant for shipping & storage... I only used it to keep the top from flopping open when lifting it to the roof. ZERO chance I would drive the Jeep with this boot on... not to mention that it can not wrap around after it's attached. Sorry to disappoint.

Last edited by a moderator:

SquirrelNuts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Update:

Side Note:

That looks really good! I have an ARE cap and unfortunately it doesn't sound like soft tops work with ARE.

Do you have any pictures of the soft top open in "man bun" mode?

Redruby

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I removed the soft top without removing or moving the Alucab Camper, it required two of us but we got it done and now it’s for sale since I replaced it with the hard top which we also installed without moving the camper

OP
OP
georamorim

georamorim

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray Rubicon
I finally got around to installing the soft top with the smart cap. The first step was to remove the hard top. That would be a pain to remove it manually but thankfully I have the lift-o-matic 1000 Hardtop Removal Device.

The install was very straightforward. The tough part was, as you might guess, getting that rear window in. The trick to make it easier is to leave it out in the sun while you install the rest. I slid the top side from inside the truck. Snapping down the bottom was made easier by opening the top and getting into the bed of the truck and, through the cap window, reach and snap down. Wasn't the easiest thing I've done but very doable. So go ahead, get that cap (if you can find one) and install that soft top. Also the cap makes the top look less man bun-y. Time to go enjoy the sun.

20230506_110913.jpg

20230506_110932.jpg

20230506_113234.jpg

20230506_133445.jpg

20230506_133501.jpg
Sponsored