First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
I know, this of first world problems. I lost two hats so far, driving the gladiator with the top off. The first time I just had the freedom panels off. Darn wind sucked my favorite hat out the top and onto the freeway. Second time the truck was completely naked. Drove by a semi and a rush of wind blew the hat out the driver side opening.

I got longish hair so I have to wear a hat or pony tail. And I ain’t wearing a pony tail. Beanies seem to be the best option but it still gets to hot in afternoons to wear one. My struggle is real.

I need a hat with a chin strap. Anyone else lost a hat?
Sponsored

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I know, this of first world problems. I lost two hats so far, driving the gladiator with the top off. The first time I just had the freedom panels off. Darn wind sucked my favorite hat out the top and onto the freeway. Second time the truck was completely naked. Drove by a semi and a rush of wind blew the hat out the driver side opening.

I got longish hair so I have to wear a hat or pony tail. And I ain’t wearing a pony tail. Beanies seem to be the best option but it still gets to hot in afternoons to wear one. My struggle is real.

I need a hat with a chin strap. Anyone else lost a hat?
I've been lucky to catch mine a few times with the roof and doors off. I usually have the back doors on still because of small kids, so if the front doors are off I put the hat on the floor back there, or wear it backwards, but you can still lose it that way.

Blknblu

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Viper, 1968 Coronet R/T, 2011 Mopar 11. 2020 Gladiator Overland
Vehicle Showcase
I had one get sucked out the window doing 45 mph with a gust of wind. I just loop one around my 4WD shifter and put on later.

Bruce

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Almost - was driving roof off (doors on) and a gust of wind while on the highway - Iowa is a windy state - took off my hat and the mask my wife had made me for my visit to the dental office I was coming back from. CRAP... I pulled over and looked - nothing on the road - aha - they had blown down to between the passenger seat and the right door - wedged in there. LUCKY.
Now if I must have a hat, I wear a leather one with a chin strap and keep it snug.
I've had things sucked right out of that truck with just the roof off and with the doors off, too, it gets worse than when I had my motorcycle on a windy day.
I need to wear a hat because my thinning hair doesn't protect much up there any more and having had it longer, two reasons it's short now: Kept getting caught in the creep wheels (OUCH!) and my current wife doesn't like how this older guy looks with the longer hair these days.

TroutFishingInAmerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
I have a couple Tilley hats with chin straps, good quality hats. Bought them years ago for river fishing and rafting. Might not be your style, and they're kinda on the pricey side for a recreation hat, but they are guaranteed for life. Sometimes you really need that chin strap.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Funny thing - when I first took the doors off and went for a drive, it was WINDY - there was a strong wind out of the south (it's usually windy here) and I was driving west.
The wind was really bad, and I had to laugh - gusts blew me to the point I was having trouble sitting still and upright, my head was getting knocked around by the wind - but the truck? Straight as an arrow! No wander, no trouble with the wind.
So while I was being blown around having trouble keeping myself straight, with the new steering gear, my truck was not having any trouble.
I had to take my hat off and strap it to the shifter and even then it was blowing straight out to the right being held in the truck only by the strap on the shifter - it would have been GONE.

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
OP
OP
PDiddy

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
hat tether/lanyard

https://www.amazon.com/Chums-11106-...ocphy=1024330&hvtargid=pla-314768907245&psc=1

Jeep Gladiator Losing hats Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 10.20.45 AM

I used to have one permanently fasten to the rollbar in a money pit roadster convertible I had. When the top was down it would swing and hit my neck reminding me I was getting ready to lose my hat. When I got out of the car with it still fasten to my hat, it would pull my hat off, pure comedy.
This might be my solution. I have heard too that wearing it backwards helps.

Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I've found the rear windows down help with the turbulent wind on the cabin.

OP
OP
PDiddy

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
A pony tail is an effective mechanism for keeping hats on your head though, and it costs nothing. Just saying...
It cost me my dignity.

It isn't long enough for a full on pony tail. I gotta do a man bun up high, and I just can't do that look. But yes, that is the easiest solution. Like I said, first world problems.

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I have a couple Tilley hats with chin straps, good quality hats. Bought them years ago for river fishing and rafting. Might not be your style, and they're kinda on the pricey side for a recreation hat, but they are guaranteed for life. Sometimes you really need that chin strap.
Yes - Tilley hats rock. They should be included as standard Jeep equipment.
Sponsored