Low power steering fluid

FLACRACKER

First Name
Monte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
In a quandary, the fluid level in my power steering fluid reservoir is below the low (add) level. The JT is a 2020, 25,000 miles. I look at the hose lines by the wheels and did a cursory look around the pump. No leakage observed. Has anyone else had to add power steering fluid ? If so, when ? Thanks
Sponsored

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
Iā€™m convinced there is an air lock in every single Gladiator power steering system that equates to 1/2 litre. Iā€™ve had my power steering pump replaced twice under warranty for quitting while driving. So, that means Iā€™ve had 3 pumps in my truck.

I jacked the front tires off the ground, engine off and reservoir lid cracked open AND oil level saying itā€™s at MAX, I turned the wheels full lock left and right 30 plus sets and the air lock came out all three times. Like I said, 1/2 litre of oil went in replacing the air that came out.
Try this and prove me wrong.

If your oil level dropped, youā€™re seeing some of that air in the system burp out. Iā€™ll bet youā€™re not done yet. When you jack it up, have the passenger side a little higher than the drivers side to help the air along.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Iā€™m convinced there is an air lock in every single Gladiator power steering system that equates to 1/2 litre. Iā€™ve had my power steering pump replaced twice under warranty for quitting while driving. So, that means Iā€™ve had 3 pumps in my truck.

I jacked the front tires off the ground, engine off and reservoir lid cracked open AND oil level saying itā€™s at MAX, I turned the wheels full lock left and right 30 plus sets and the air lock came out all three times. Like I said, 1/2 litre of oil went in replacing the air that came out.
Try this and prove me wrong.

If your oil level dropped, youā€™re seeing some of that air in the system burp out. Iā€™ll bet youā€™re not done yet. When you jack it up, have the passenger side a little higher than the drivers side to help the air along.
What did you use for power steering fluid?

OP
OP
FLACRACKER

FLACRACKER

First Name
Monte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
Thanks for the input and advice ! My floor jack at this time is not working. May have to use the jack in the jeep.

Sponsored

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
After I got my last pump replaced last summer, after I got home from a trip to BC of over 1000kms with no power steering, and AFTER burping out the air lock on my last two pumps, this photo shows I used 1/2 litre more of oil on the pump I have now. So far so good.

39486503-E7B3-4C24-89D3-545118F5219E.jpeg

F35E9EF7-007F-454E-9A2A-2A5EFB31D758.jpeg

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Once you start the steering back and forth, it doesnā€™t take long before you hear the air squishing around in there.

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
After I got my last pump replaced last summer, after I got home from a trip to BC of over 1000kms with no power steering, and AFTER burping out the air lock on my last two pumps, this photo shows I used 1/2 litre more of oil on the pump I have now. So far so good.

Jeep Gladiator Low power steering fluid F35E9EF7-007F-454E-9A2A-2A5EFB31D758

Jeep Gladiator Low power steering fluid F35E9EF7-007F-454E-9A2A-2A5EFB31D758
Pardon me. But I believe that is 1 cup used out of 2. 1 pint = 2 cups, 1 pint ~ 0.5 liters (as shown). Missing that much fluid would be catastrophic, I believe. Though I don't doubt there being some air in the system, or others such as coolant.

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Pardon me. But I believe that is 1 cup used out of 2. 1 pint = 2 cups, 1 pint ~ 0.5 liters (as shown). Missing that much fluid would be catastrophic, I believe. Though I don't doubt there being some air in the system, or others such as coolant.
Yes! You are correct. Itā€™s a 1 pint bottle. All 3 pumps were down 1 cup each. Thanks for pointing that out.
Sponsored