Rain X fluid and Low Washer Fluid Sensor

Almost

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD & 09 JKU
I used rainx one time and it has ruined my system completely. It leaves a film in the tank which has made your sensor either stuck or covered in film. It has clogged my lines and spray nozzles. I have tried distilled water and compressed air about 5 times now and it's good for about a day before being clogged again. I wiped my finger in my tank and a thin layer of scale came out. It almost looks like peeling skin. I'm going to drain it and dump in a bottle of rubbing alcohol next.
Sponsored

Prescottmojave

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired
49 years of driving, 5 jeeps, numerous trucks and cars. Never has an issue with using Rain-X. I never let the reservoir get lower than half way.

onewhippedpuppy

Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Aerospace
49 years of driving, 5 jeeps, numerous trucks and cars. Never has an issue with using Rain-X. I never let the reservoir get lower than half way.
Same here, I run the orange stuff year round. It’s fantastic to knock down light windshield frost in the winter. I top it off every oil change on every car I’ve owned for a LONG time.

Sponsored

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
I ran Rain-X washer fluid until last year .. clooged line...found out thanks to this site that others have had issues with it. Stopped using it i.n my reservoir. No issues.

TMGladOverHighAlt

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Overland High Altitude
Occupation
Retired USCG
Rain-X has silicone in it. It can coat the sensors on NICE cars. :)

TheTrailGeek

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon - Gator
Occupation
Coder
I had this happen in my Subaru and sat there and ran it till it was empty, then put in the cheap blue stuff and ran a bottle of that through it and it started working again fine after that. Only put the cheap blue stuff in now if I have to refill.

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
Acetone will remove rainx residue, if you want
Just be careful not to pump the acetone through anything after cleaning the tank. It might dissolve some washers/seals/ etc. The rubber seals and etc. they use can stand up to methanol but not acetone.

My dealership uses a washer fluid that is clear with no dyes in it. Can't find at any autoparts stores. They are all either yellow or blue. You spray and what doesn't hit your windshield and eventually drys, leaves the residual color behind. I HATE THAT :mad::mad::mad: I saw it when I had my white 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland...the drips on the hood would turn yellow or blue (or green if I happened to mix fluids :LOL: ) so those of you with white Gladiators take note...you can have yellow or blue residue on your trucks :(

Anyone know where I can get non-colored washer fluid? Now that my factory warranty is up (by time not mileage), I'm going elsewhere for oil changes, inspections, etc. so it'll be less expensive than stealership prices.

TroutFishingInAmerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Well, I put Rain-X in the truck a few months ago. Never heard of any problem until this thread, some have had problems and some haven't. So I did a search and WOW! this has been going on for sometime. Some people say it only effects certain manufacturers, Jeep being one of them. I syphoned the Rain-X out and flushed the tank, then ran the windshield and camera with just water until I was absolutely sure it was purged. I'm buying the cheap blue shit from now on, screw it man, not going to chance it when all you have to do is buy the cheap stuff to avoid possible problems. Thanks for the heads up! Appreciate it.

Sponsored

obrianmcc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
No sensor issues, but Rain X plugged my nozzles. It nice that you have to pull the hood insulator off to gain access .... Not

ZoMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTM (sold) '23 WL74
I'm buying the cheap blue shit from now on.
Yes. Cheap -20 blue washer fluid year-round. I even used it when I lived in Arizona and that's all I have been using for 45 years. Only a couple of clogged nozzles in hundreds of thousands of miles. Nothing that a safety pin can't fix!

marsbars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Just be careful not to pump the acetone through anything after cleaning the tank. It might dissolve some washers/seals/ etc. The rubber seals and etc. they use can stand up to methanol but not acetone.

My dealership uses a washer fluid that is clear with no dyes in it. Can't find at any autoparts stores. They are all either yellow or blue. You spray and what doesn't hit your windshield and eventually drys, leaves the residual color behind. I HATE THAT :mad::mad::mad: I saw it when I had my white 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland...the drips on the hood would turn yellow or blue (or green if I happened to mix fluids :LOL: ) so those of you with white Gladiators take note...you can have yellow or blue residue on your trucks :(

Anyone know where I can get non-colored washer fluid? Now that my factory warranty is up (by time not mileage), I'm going elsewhere for oil changes, inspections, etc. so it'll be less expensive than stealership prices.
Just did a quick google search for clear windshield washer and Prestone makes clear along with some other companies. Can get on Amazon

Shopshirt

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gladiator
I just had the clogged washer issue recently blew compressed air fixed it for one spray. Took it to the dealer and they did the same thing compressed air worked twice then stopped. Take it back a second time "hey we blew compressed air through the lines and that fixed it!" Worked twice clogged again. Nothing but factory washer fluid in it and whatever they topped it off with. :headbang:

Raven65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I've used the orange RainX fluid for years in other vehicles and never had any trouble. I had JUST filled up the reservoir in my Gladiator a few months ago when I came across a thread like this one... so I promptly siphoned most of it back out and pumped out the rest through the nozzles... then I flushed it with water... and then put the cheap blue stuff back in. I had also just put a coating of the new RainX "ceramic" (rolleyes) treatment on the windshield itself - which the blue fluid probably stripped right back off... but whatever. The main reason I liked RainX so much on previous vehicles (mainly sports cars with curved, steeply-raked windshields) is that the wind would just blow the rain off of it so well at highway speeds that you hardly ever even had to use the wipers. No so with the flat/upright windshield on the Gladiator, so it's no big deal that I chose to ditch it.
Sponsored