m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
The 4.10 was just ok for the stock 33” tires. I’ve done 5.13 gears for my 37” tires and it seems like the sweet spot. I also replaced the silly, weak, over complicated stock clutch with a Centerforce dual friction clutch. It is worlds better.
Sponsored

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
When did you place your order- did you get in before they closed orders on manuals? Have you gotten a ship date?
Closed orders on manuals? I hope not. I put my order in February 25, and got confirmation, and today the Jeep Wave letter. Where did you hear they were closing orders on manuals? I'd be pretty pissed. I'm trading a MT Tacoma for a MT Gladiator.

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ordered my 2021 August 7, last month. I read bad reviews on manual trans. This is the first time I've read positive feedback. I'm glad. I want to add 35's or 37's. Do I need to regear for 35's or not? What about 37's?
What were the "bad reviews"? The first gear is a lot lower than the Tacoma TRD Pro, both with 4.10 rear gears, and the Tacoma is tolerable.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
Closed orders on manuals? I hope not. I put my order in February 25, and got confirmation, and today the Jeep Wave letter. Where did you hear they were closing orders on manuals? I'd be pretty pissed. I'm trading a MT Tacoma for a MT Gladiator.
It would be interesting to see what the sales of MT vs AT for each model year. Anyone have that data?

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
It would be interesting to see what the sales of MT vs AT for each model year. Anyone have that data?
Very very low, vs very high. I'm sure there aren't many manuals. I'd imagine 2% or so haha.

Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, they stopped for a little while, because of the clutch recall. They are back on now. Check the date on the post. Still. I'd get one while you can, It's only a matter of time. Wouldn't be surprised if this is the last generation.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Haven’t seen it for a while but the clutch recall impacted over 47,000 MT Wranglers and Gladiators out of about 850,000 total vehicles. That’s something like a 5% manual take rate. Much lower than previous versions of Jeeps. I guess if you have good Google-Fu you could probably find sales stats.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Haven’t seen it for a while but the clutch recall impacted over 47,000 MT Wranglers and Gladiators out of about 850,000 total vehicles. That’s something like a 5% manual take rate. Much lower than previous versions of Jeeps. I guess if you have good Google-Fu you could probably find sales stats.
That's honestly a lot more than I thought. I've read in several places that the new Bronco has a very high manual take rate of 15%, and that's before the sasquatch came out in MT.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/42237/ford-bronco-manual-take-rate-is-nearly-25-percent-report

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
That's honestly a lot more than I thought. I've read in several places that the new Bronco has a very high manual take rate of 15%, and that's before the sasquatch came out in MT.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/42237/ford-bronco-manual-take-rate-is-nearly-25-percent-report
My dealer told me that Jeep sent them a bunch of MTs last year, and it took a year to sell them all. This is likely my last MT, both due to age, and likely electric or hybrids in the future. I did test drive the autos, and they seem like an excellent trans, not like the Tacoma garbage. That's why I got a MT TRDPro. But see my comments above on the differences.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My dealer told me that Jeep sent them a bunch of MTs last year, and it took a year to sell them all. This is likely my last MT, both due to age, and likely electric or hybrids in the future. I did test drive the autos, and they seem like an excellent trans, not like the Tacoma garbage. That's why I got a MT TRDPro. But see my comments above on the differences.
My dealership usually orders Wranglers and Gladiator manuals 2 at a time (each), then when they sell, they order 2 more. If the dealership was sent a bunch of MTs, from what I gather from my friends who work at dealerships, they miscalculated their market. They being the dealership. The dealership gets to pick what cars they order and how they are spec'd.
I know the guy who ordered mine was the one who handled the order from jeep. He picked all the options and the transmission. Even the bright yellow orange huge. I didn't special order, it was just there, fresh off the truck, sitting out front and center, calling my name.

Sponsored

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
My dealership usually orders Wranglers and Gladiator manuals 2 at a time (each), then when they sell, they order 2 more. If the dealership was sent a bunch of MTs, from what I gather from my friends who work at dealerships, they miscalculated their market. They being the dealership. The dealership gets to pick what cars they order and how they are spec'd.
I know the guy who ordered mine was the one who handled the order from jeep. He picked all the options and the transmission. Even the bright yellow orange huge. I didn't special order, it was just there, fresh off the truck, sitting out front and center, calling my name.
Yeah, I remember you told me that. You'd think in New Mexico with all the rock work we do that MTs would be more popular. Maybe that's why - trouble with coordination during articulation!

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yeah, I remember you told me that. You'd think in New Mexico with all the rock work we do that MTs would be more popular. Maybe that's why - trouble with coordination during articulation!
Where'd you get that 4WD decal on the tailgate?

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Where'd you get that 4WD decal on the tailgate?
Amazon. It's really for an old Willys truck though. It's not the exactly the same one as on the new Willys models. It's really meant for restoration of models from the '60s.

You can get the modern production one from a new Willys at the dealership parts counter though, or search Amazon for Jeep Willys 4 wheel drive decal. The re-pops are cheaper than the new Mopar part.

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Amazon. It's really for an old Willys truck though. It's not the exactly the same one as on the new Willys models. It's really meant for restoration of models from the '60s.

You can get the modern production one from a new Willys at the dealership parts counter though, or search Amazon for Jeep Willys 4 wheel drive decal. The re-pops are cheaper than the new Mopar part.
Yep. I bought my M38-A1 in 1968. Thanks.

redriderjf87

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
saltmustflow.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT, '81 Z-28, '18 TW200, '72 CT 175
Occupation
Electrical Controls Engineer
Never fear the gear.

They should've made 4.10 optional across the board. That puts 6th hear just a hair taller than what 5th is with the 3.73, which is the sweet spot to maintain speed up an incline and/or headwind (in my experience).
Sponsored