Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Speaking of toes - the original form of the line "toe the line" was with toe (not tow) - because it referred to taking your place in a formal line, toes all in line, etc. Likely originally a naval term, lining the sailors up on deck for inspection with their toes all lined up with the edge of a deck plank.
Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
You obviously don’t know your JT’s... oh JT = Gladiator btw
Technically, underneath, it's still a Sport. Just got dressed up for the ball

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Max Tow, doing maximum towing stuff. Great foundation for a build. Got the wider axles with the gear set I want and I can add my own carriers whenever. Comes with the wider fenders. Has better cooling when adding power to the mix. I am sure the suspension was great to but it went into a box at 5 miles on the odometer, sooo lol.

Jeep Gladiator Max tow max tow max tow. image

Last edited:

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
Technically, underneath, it's still a Sport. Just got dressed up for the ball
Well .... technically... all JTs are a Sport to start with and have added packages.... 🤔 technically speaking of course (except the Mojave because the Mojave has a different frame).

You wont get that frame on any other JT. I am leaving off the Mojave shocks as I am speaking in terms on technicality basis. You can buy the Mojave shocks or better shocks aftermarket and add them to any JT. The frame though is not reasonable swap IMOP for the sake of this argument.

So that said most JTs are just a Sport with packages. So... mine is a Sport 4S with the Max Tow package. A Rubicon then is technically just another package as is the Overland a package. I know you can’t order a Sport and add the Rubicon package or the Overland package (technically you are) but Fiat bean counters don’t want to offer that for $$ reasons I am sure.

Look at most other manufacturers, they offer individual upgrades from the base model (dealers and manufacturers make more money on packages). Look at the new Real Ford Bronco, they offer all additional packaging you can add to the base. That is a really good deal and a smart approach to this market segment.

I’ve owned a Rubicon, a 2016 JKUHR. That is the JKU Rubicon with the Hard Rock package.

I bought it new and in one year had a rear locker failure and warranty repair ($900+). Then the sway bar electric DC collected water from driving in he rain and was replaced ($1200+) (we surmised as the JKUHR hadn’t seen any deep water). That was also a little over a year and 25,000 miles. Then the rear locker failed again, same fix under warranty less than 2 years of Rubicon ownership and thankfully just under 36,000 miles. I bought an extended warranty and drove the Jeep another 40,000 + miles before trading it on the JT Max Tow.

I thought about buying the Rubicon Gladiator but after all the trouble previously with the Rubicon JKUHR I decided I would just save the money up front. In 2019 the difference between my Max Tow and a Rubicon was $12,000. I know it’s less now, but I still wouldn’t by the Rubicon even today.

I have had many Jeeps over the last 35 years MJ, CJ-8, CJ-7, XJ’s, ZJ’s, and that Rubicon JKUHR. All lifted all 35’s up to 38’s on the MJ. I’ve used many different lockers; a full spool, lunchbox, Detroit, ARB. I either used sway bar manual DC’s or just didn’t use a sway bar up front if it retained or had leaf springs in the rear like the XJ(I loved Tereflex DCs back then) and rock crawled, off road for many years. Yes I’ve broken axles, driveshafts, steering box mounts and u-joints a few times but I used my Jeeps off road pretty hard. Some I used as a DD and still hit the trails hard with them, the XJ is awesome for that use!

My Rubicon I didn’t off road much as I was busy with work and kids in sports. I did take it off road enough to get a feel for it. The Rubicon was easy to use with the buttons for lockers and sway bar. Still not worth the quality issues I had with the gadgets.

So... although I can purchase a Rubicon, and now a diesel JT, I won’t buy either because they are prone to trouble.

Buying a Rubicon for me is also pointless because I would change everything on the Rubicon Package. Except the hood. I do like a certain Wrangler Rubicon wheel as well but it doesn’t come on the JT Rubicon.

Why discuss all of this? (and this is the last time I’m even going to bother with Rubicon vs Sport vs Max Tow Sport argument)

If you aren’t a person that picks up a wrench or are too busy to do the work yourself then a Rubicon package may be good for you. Most people that take the JT off road will end up replacing all or most of the parts the Rubicon comes with because of failure or to prevent failure out on the trail. In other words most that truly do off road a JT will want to increase its reliability or “upgrade “ from the weaker factory Rubicon parts.

Why people want to “call you out” as a liars, posers etc. because you put a sticker on your Jeep hood is lame. Most of these types on a forum are probably web wheelers anyway and not worth the time explaining all of this.

One on here got really angry and said I had no idea who he is... of course I don’t, neither does he know who I am. Was that a threat from him?🤔🤣

I’ll put whatever I want on my JT; stickers or parts (you will see that soon). Honestly if you care what I do or what others are doing to their Jeeps and respond in a negative uneducated way your an idiot.

So I know my Max Tow is a Sport S package (and I think a very good option to add with wider axles and 4:10’s).

Sponsored

Chestnut

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 WRX, 2017 Forester XT, 2021 JTO
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I expected the Overland to get the best MPG but haven't seen much of it being posted here.
To answer a question from many months ago. With 1k miles on my Overland MT, I've been getting 24-25 mpg Highway at 65 mph.

I bury my foot too much with stoplight driving to give a good indication of city mileage which has been about 18-19 though i could do better if I tried.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I REALLY like the one now in the lower right and if I had a Sport with max tow - I'd likely get that for mine.
Alas, don't have max tow, I'm one of the lessor, left out group, struggling along with the red-headed step child, black sheep, Overland.

(but I really DO like that lower right decal - nice)

Sponsored

Choatecav

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Sales
Well .... technically... all JTs are a Sport to start with and have added packages.... 🤔 technically speaking of course (except the Mojave because the Mojave has a different frame).

You wont get that frame on any other JT. I am leaving off the Mojave shocks as I am speaking in terms on technicality basis. You can buy the Mojave shocks or better shocks aftermarket and add them to any JT. The frame though is not reasonable swap IMOP for the sake of this argument.
All the "Rubiconites" are gritting their teeth at this comment..................... :LOL: :clap::)

Glad Jeeper

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
There is so much information and misinformation on "max tow" that I am confused. I have some questions. It looks like max tow is not listed on the sticker as on option, is that correct? Max tow just means that the JT has the 4.10, tow package, HD alt, is this correct? The internet states all kinds of different tow ratings from 7650 to as low as 3500. I have been told my Mojave is set to tow 7000 since Mojave's already are standard with 4.10 and optional tow package. So what's the truth? I plan on towing 6000-6500 lbs.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well my sticker says 7650 and 1535 payload. Now mind you the stock version of it is just a memory. I was under the impression the cooling is better too, but who knows.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
There is so much information and misinformation on "max tow" that I am confused. I have some questions. It looks like max tow is not listed on the sticker as on option, is that correct? Max tow just means that the JT has the 4.10, tow package, HD alt, is this correct? The internet states all kinds of different tow ratings from 7650 to as low as 3500. I have been told my Mojave is set to tow 7000 since Mojave's already are standard with 4.10 and optional tow package. So what's the truth? I plan on towing 6000-6500 lbs.
NO -you've been told wrong.
Mojave is 6,000 towing and 1200 payload (but check door sticker for YOUR PERSONAL MOJAVE payload capacity)

Max tow is a fully different option.
The Sport is the only version of JT available with the MAX TOW. It's a special package - and only available on Sport S
Nothing else has max tow.
Others have the tow package.
THIS is from the internet -

The maximum towing rating for the Mojave is 6,000 lbs.

This is from another internet site -

The Mojave configuration just doesn’t cut it when it comes to hauling, allowing a payload capacity of only 1,200 pounds of both people and stuff.
The Jeep Gladiator Mojave’s hauling capacity is equal to that of the Gladiator Rubicon and 500 pounds less than base Jeep Gladiators, which are a bit more competitive to other truck models in the same class but demonstrating a distinct disadvantage in the overall truck market.
Both towing capacity and how the Gladiator Mojave handles towing are additional problem areas.
Base model Jeep Gladiators have a towing capacity of 7,650 pounds, holding its own with other V6 powered trucks in the same class.
In contrast, the Gladiator Mojave’s towing capacity drops to just 6,000 pounds (4,000 pounds with manual transmission), which is even lower than the Rubicon trim’s towing capacity.
Sponsored