Sponsored

May this is a stupid question , ENABLE THE WI‑FI HOTSPOT?

yrwins

First Name
Yrwins
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/a
Occupation
IT
Hi

Sorry to ask a stupid question.
is the hotspot of the jeep radio like a cell we~boost! Or just wifi.
i really don’t see what it’s point of the radio wifi.
where is the antenna? What type of antenna cell 5g (MIMO) or wifi 6g.
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
The WiFi hotspot is a monthly subscription service through AT&T. It uses a cellular network connection to provide internet service inside the truck. Many smartphones are able to provide the same service, usually at a lower cost since it is part of the monthly phone payment.

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
I use my phone as a WiFi hot spot so I can use my tablet (when the Wife is driving) for things that aren't on my phone that I like to use to pass the time riding.

Again, as one of the posters states, it's included in your monthly cell bill as data so why pay extra for something not as good?

I also use my phone as a WiFi hot spot while camping so I can use my Amazon Firestick on the TV in my camper. Works great.

Pescado

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Verizon wants to charge me $10 extra a month to enable my cell phones hot spot

Sponsored

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
Verizon wants to charge me $10 extra a month to enable my cell phones hot spot
What kind of Verizon plan is that? It's included on every plan they offer. Is this a business account?

Trailman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Just wifi. 4G not LTE. Super slow.
4g and LTE are the same thing*. But I assume it does not have 5g. I had it on for the free month or free 3 months (can't remember the offer), and we never used it. Our phones are unlimited already, so I never saw a point to click over to it.

*Technically LTE is a type of 4g, but LTE is actually slower than "pure" 4g.

Trailman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
What kind of Verizon plan is that? It's included on every plan they offer. Is this a business account?
They might have an older plan that they haven't upgraded to current plans. It was really common for a long time for carriers to charge extra to turn on the hot spot.

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator Willie's ecodiesel
Occupation
Union electrician
I went to two att stores and they couldn’t figure out how to do it. They claimed I had to have the dealer do it so I stopped trying. I now just use my phone’s hotspot.

Pescado

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
They might have an older plan that they haven't upgraded to current plans. It was really common for a long time for carriers to charge extra to turn on the hot spot.
I just got a new iphone and we actually upgraded our plan to an unlimited data plan. We were camping and I wanted to use it like a hot spot like I have always done and it gave me a message to contact verizon to activate it. We called and sure enough it was extra. I have a cell phone from my work so we just used its hot spot.

Sponsored

calipoontappa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
4g and LTE are the same thing*. But I assume it does not have 5g. I had it on for the free month or free 3 months (can't remember the offer), and we never used it. Our phones are unlimited already, so I never saw a point to click over to it.

*Technically LTE is a type of 4g, but LTE is actually slower than "pure" 4g.
Either way still slow AF.

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
I just got a new iphone and we actually upgraded our plan to an unlimited data plan. We were camping and I wanted to use it like a hot spot like I have always done and it gave me a message to contact verizon to activate it. We called and sure enough it was extra. I have a cell phone from my work so we just used its hot spot.
Strange, and looks like you're in San Diego like me. You must be on the "Start" plan as it's the only plan without Hotspot included.

Screenshot 2022-04-26 091940.png

JET_83

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Strange, and looks like you're in San Diego like me. You must be on the "Start" plan as it's the only plan without Hotspot included.

$55 seems like a no brainer in comparison

Jeep Gladiator May this is a stupid question , ENABLE THE WI‑FI HOTSPOT? Screenshot 2022-04-26 091940

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The reasoning was logical - if you enable the phone as a hotspot you can use many many times more data than using the phone alone and running through data.
A phone can only use so much, so they feel safe with the so-called "unlimited", but add a couple of other devices, suddenly there's a lot more load on the cellular network.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
All major smartphones use LTE today. In fact, there is no such thing as true 4G as defined by the standards set forth.
4G was defined as the ideal standard and as no phones actually can reach this standard, so they defined LTE. Even if your phone is advertised as 4G, it uses LTE technology.
Mar 20, 2020
The above from a cell booster company............

Can the average consumer tell the difference between 4G and LTE?
In most cases, the download speed is comparable unless you reside in a major city.
As cellular carriers continue to update their LTE networks, they have closed the gap between LTE and "real 4G". This is especially true with LTE-A, which is currently the fastest option available.

So unless you have 5g, it's almost all the same.
Sponsored