Sponsored

May this is a stupid question , ENABLE THE WI‑FI HOTSPOT?

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport-S Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
I.T.
I paid something like $200 for a year of the wifi hotspot via AT&T. Seems fast enough for me, my wife watches movies and surfs the net on her laptop or phone while on trips, she hasn't complained so far. It's only 4g but I'm pretty sure it would take some kind of hardware upgrade to make the Jeep 5g compatible.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I paid something like $200 for a year of the wifi hotspot via AT&T. Seems fast enough for me, my wife watches movies and surfs the net on her laptop or phone while on trips, she hasn't complained so far. It's only 4g but I'm pretty sure it would take some kind of hardware upgrade to make the Jeep 5g compatible.
If it's slow it's likely the load on the towers it's connecting to. I have to wonder what the heck people are doing if they think it's slow......... streaming 5 movies and listening to multiple youtube videos at once.

Pescado

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Strange, and looks like you're in San Diego like me. You must be on the "Start" plan as it's the only plan without Hotspot included.

Screenshot 2022-04-26 091940.png
Hmmmm....I'm paying $125 a month for two lines so we can't be on the start plan. My wife handles this bill so I'm going to have to check again.

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
Hmmmm....I'm paying $125 a month for two lines so we can't be on the start plan. My wife handles this bill so I'm going to have to check again.
Sorry - that screenshot is off my account - we have 4 lines which heavily discount the plans. The $55 one there would be $85 each if 2 lines.

Pescado

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Sorry - that screenshot is off my account - we have 4 lines which heavily discount the plans. The $55 one there would be $85 each if 2 lines.
I checked and we have the start plan. They sure give some discounts when you have more than 2 lines. Once again getting taken to the bank....just like COX does to me every month :angry:

Sponsored

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
I checked and we have the start plan. They sure give some discounts when you have more than 2 lines. Once again getting taken to the bank....just like COX does to me every month :angry:
Do you guys have DIsney+ or anything? If you do just cancel it and upgrade 1 of your lines. You'll get that, the hotspot, and a bunch of other stuff for $10 more.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
You can actually just enable the car wifi from the uconnect. Turn it on, it gives you a website to go to and sign up with, then you can enable it via that. (I have the 8.4, this may be different on other uconnects)

LTE is plenty fast and what the majority of us are still on most of the time as 5G is very short range. The big advantage i've found for it is that it uses the car's cellular antenna which is much better than the phones and will still get strong signal beyond what my phone will catch so we use it(sparingly) when camping to check in periodically where my phone has no service.

JsnJcksn

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
All major smartphones use LTE today. In fact, there is no such thing as true 4G as defined by the standards set forth.
4G was defined as the ideal standard and as no phones actually can reach this standard, so they defined LTE. Even if your phone is advertised as 4G, it uses LTE technology.
Mar 20, 2020
The above from a cell booster company............

Can the average consumer tell the difference between 4G and LTE?
In most cases, the download speed is comparable unless you reside in a major city.
As cellular carriers continue to update their LTE networks, they have closed the gap between LTE and "real 4G". This is especially true with LTE-A, which is currently the fastest option available.

So unless you have 5g, it's almost all the same.
Conversely, in rural areas, one carrier may have "better" coverage and speeds than others. In WV, the side of the hill or valley you are in will change speeds and coverage from the major carriers. Towers are line of sight and terrain changes diminish reception.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Conversely, in rural areas, one carrier may have "better" coverage and speeds than others. In WV, the side of the hill or valley you are in will change speeds and coverage from the major carriers. Towers are line of sight and terrain changes diminish reception.
Hills and trees. That's our problems out here. Well, I like the trees so they aren't a problem other than cell coverage.
When I worked for the state, they used Verizon for their standard carrier. Not sure why, maybe some big corporate or government special pricing or whatever, but we found their coverage sucked around Dubuque and Decorah, Mason City (yes, in the middle of town, 2 blocks from a hospital our office had crappy cell coverage) and where I live, the only towers are US Cellular - so for the rural areas and NE around Dubuque, they had to use USCellular. The coverage was better, we had less complaints (which made me laugh as I figured we'd hear that - it's the only reliable carrier in our whole area)

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
The reasoning was logical - if you enable the phone as a hotspot you can use many many times more data than using the phone alone and running through data.
A phone can only use so much, so they feel safe with the so-called "unlimited", but add a couple of other devices, suddenly there's a lot more load on the cellular network.
That's as true back then, when this was common. But nowadays, I bet many of us use way more phone data than other devices.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That's as true back then, when this was common. But nowadays, I bet many of us use way more phone data than other devices.
You use 70 gig on your phone? That's what we use in the house. My wife with all of her videos, photo sharing (quilts and quilting) and GAMES may hit 10 gig or so.
I use mine for phone calls, texting, maybe a quick search now and then, that's it. It's a phone, tiny screen, barely readable, and not at all readable in daylight outdoors.
For real work, I use a real computer. (or at least a tablet.

Do people spend all day at work playing games and watching videos on their phones?

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
You use 70 gig on your phone? That's what we use in the house. My wife with all of her videos, photo sharing (quilts and quilting) and GAMES may hit 10 gig or so.
I use mine for phone calls, texting, maybe a quick search now and then, that's it. It's a phone, tiny screen, barely readable, and not at all readable in daylight outdoors.
For real work, I use a real computer. (or at least a tablet.

Do people spend all day at work playing games and watching videos on their phones?
My wife and I do. The only time I open my laptop up is to pay bills these days, or to use my music keyboard synth (which doesn't use the internet). Otherwise, it's all on the smartphone.

calipoontappa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I had it for 6 months and couldn’t get more than 5-10Mbps anywhere from SoCal all the way to SF. Complained to ATT multiple times until they finally gave me a full refund. I get 400Mbps+ off my phone with T-Mobile. It’s unlimited so we just use it for the kids iPads when we go on trips.

awraynor

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I just tried to sign up and it says my Overland with the 8.4 screen isn't able to sign up.
Sponsored