Xraytech
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

Pookie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Will this help reduce excessive steering play on the JT?

OP
OP
XraytecH

XraytecH

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Xraytech
Vehicle Showcase
Will this help reduce excessive steering play on the JT?
Steering play can be attributed to a multitude of things in the steering gear train but yes it can reduce it.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
well thats just cool....also not a fan of having to drill into the frame...that actually makes me super uncomfortable...but im intrigued.

Sponsored

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
Iā€™m just curious- why are folks choosing the metal cloak over synergy or steer smart??

personally I ram the synergy for about 20k miles on my jku before going to the psc big boreā€¦. šŸ¤¤. That is unfortunately looking like it Wonā€™t ever be a thing for diesel owners šŸ˜’.

https://www.synergymfg.com/synergy-jeep-jl-jt-front-track-bar-and-sector-shaft-brace.html.
Both the synergy and the steer smart brace the sector shaft And enforce where the box mountsā€¦.. it must still be an issue as they both made this from the JKU to the JL JT platformā€¦.. the steering box will flex the frame where the box is mounted.
I donā€™t see how the metal cloak is going to provide that at all?? This is an upgrade that in my opinion is worth spending a bit more $$ on and fixing several issues with one solution. (My opinion)
The strength of the sector shaft is one problem, the track bar mount is a second, and the steering box flex is a 3rd. With steer smart or synergy you are fixing 3 problems with one upgrade. This looks like itā€™s trying to fix oneā€¦. And I say trying because the design doesnā€™t look the strongest in how the sector shaft is supportedā€¦..

Lynn_F

First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
They made the sector shaft brace and the track bar reinforcement bracket in 2 pieces...I guess there's a market for them separately?
Jeep Gladiator Metalcloak's new Sector Shaft Brace? Screenshot_20220728-084803_Google
The 1st Synergy offering didn't have an o-ring which allowed debris to get into the bearing. I believe they have corrected it with their 2nd gen. The steersmarts requires grinding and causes some clearance issues. This maybe a better alternative. I have never been disappointed with Metalcloak products.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™m just curious- why are folks choosing the metal cloak over synergy or steer smart??

personally I ram the synergy for about 20k miles on my jku before going to the psc big boreā€¦. šŸ¤¤. That is unfortunately looking like it Wonā€™t ever be a thing for diesel owners šŸ˜’.

https://www.synergymfg.com/synergy-jeep-jl-jt-front-track-bar-and-sector-shaft-brace.html.
Both the synergy and the steer smart brace the sector shaft And enforce where the box mountsā€¦.. it must still be an issue as they both made this from the JKU to the JL JT platformā€¦.. the steering box will flex the frame where the box is mounted.
I donā€™t see how the metal cloak is going to provide that at all?? This is an upgrade that in my opinion is worth spending a bit more $$ on and fixing several issues with one solution. (My opinion)
The strength of the sector shaft is one problem, the track bar mount is a second, and the steering box flex is a 3rd. With steer smart or synergy you are fixing 3 problems with one upgrade. This looks like itā€™s trying to fix oneā€¦. And I say trying because the design doesnā€™t look the strongest in how the sector shaft is supportedā€¦..
i took my synergy a WHILE ago. it was binding up and making a gnarly noise, and somehow my drivers side spring was contacting the bracket its self...despite the install being correct. I got the upgraded piece from synergy, but never put it back on. Realistically I dont see it helping much if at all after the new steering box. The new bolts are stronger than the original ones in the 2020s and I dont think the box moves at all now.

I know a mess of fellas are after it for the potential steering improvement, like i was. Once I learned about toe and set my toe my self...i haven't had ANY steering problems at all.

OP
OP
XraytecH

XraytecH

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Xraytech
Vehicle Showcase
i took my synergy a WHILE ago. it was binding up and making a gnarly noise, and somehow my drivers side spring was contacting the bracket its self...despite the install being correct. I got the upgraded piece from synergy, but never put it back on. Realistically I dont see it helping much if at all after the new steering box. The new bolts are stronger than the original ones in the 2020s and I dont think the box moves at all now.

I know a mess of fellas are after it for the potential steering improvement, like i was. Once I learned about toe and set my toe my self...i haven't had ANY steering problems at all.
Did not know about the binding and clearance issues, good to know.

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker

What size tires are you running? I donā€™t know that I would put a brace on for ā€œimprovementā€ more a matter of peace of mind. A sector shaft snap is up there on my list for really crappy trail fix. And the box movement- new bolts help- but the frame steel is still only so thick- this is where the movement is coming from- steel deflection, not bolt stretch.

Sponsored

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
Did not know about the binding and clearance issues, good to know.
For the cost I understand why a lot of folks donā€™t want to take a grinder to itā€¦. But depending on your caster angle- it can rub. Also can rub if the axle isnā€™t perfectly centered. šŸ¤·šŸ½ā€ā™‚ļø Iā€™d flex it out and whatever makes slow controlled contact, hit it with 80 grit flap disk, a little steelit paint and carry on.

OP
OP
XraytecH

XraytecH

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Xraytech
Vehicle Showcase
For the cost I understand why a lot of folks donā€™t want to take a grinder to itā€¦. But depending on your caster angle- it can rub. Also can rub if the axle isnā€™t perfectly centered. šŸ¤·šŸ½ā€ā™‚ļø Iā€™d flex it out and whatever makes slow controlled contact, hit it with 80 grit flap disk, a little steelit paint and carry on.
Looks like MetalCloak shortened one end of the "Fork" for clearance. Was that the same part you had to grind down?

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
Looks like MetalCloak shortened one end of the "Fork" for clearance. Was that the same part you had to grind down?
min not sure if we would be describing the same thing. Fork- would be the piece that braces the sector shaft.
I had to grind the portion that protrudes straight out from the frame- itā€™s a piece that is there for rigidity/helping minimize the deflection.
I would say the material removed with a flap disk is between 1/16-1/8ā€ ā€¦. Not a lot in comparison to whatā€™s there.
šŸ¤·šŸ½ā€ā™‚ļø Could synergy fix it- sure. But I donā€™t think every set up is the sameā€¦. And I definitely donā€™t think the majority have issues.

BigG

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Occupation
Papermaker
I ordered mine with the lift and 1 ton steering. Ive seen a lot of people wait til the stock steering gets worn out then replace it, just getting ahead of it. Piece of mind is correct.

OP
OP
XraytecH

XraytecH

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Xraytech
Vehicle Showcase
min not sure if we would be describing the same thing. Fork- would be the piece that braces the sector shaft.
I had to grind the portion that protrudes straight out from the frame- itā€™s a piece that is there for rigidity/helping minimize the deflection.
I would say the material removed with a flap disk is between 1/16-1/8ā€ ā€¦. Not a lot in comparison to whatā€™s there.
šŸ¤·šŸ½ā€ā™‚ļø Could synergy fix it- sure. But I donā€™t think every set up is the sameā€¦. And I definitely donā€™t think the majority have issues.
The part that gets 4 bolts into the side of the frame.

Thisā€¦
Jeep Gladiator Metalcloak's new Sector Shaft Brace? C1BCEC2A-169B-4A63-8F5B-4DF100C6CEC3

vs thisā€¦
Jeep Gladiator Metalcloak's new Sector Shaft Brace? 2FCCC9C0-A6F3-4684-8063-BB20BC72D710
Sponsored

Last edited: