Sponsored

Mice in the cab

Moabite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Varmints do seem to love that cover on the battery. For awhile, I was cleaning newly-constructed mouse nests off it almost every day. A few months ago, I found a dead mouse on the front passenger seat...no idea how it got in. Everything was locked up tightly. After I lock my cats in the cabin at night (have coyotes, bobcats and mountain lions that savor cats), I set mouse traps by the wheels. I haven't had any more nests atop the battery, or anywhere else that I know of, since I started setting the traps. The wheels are their highways. The traps work well as a fatal roadblock. As for squirrels, I have problems with them digging under the cabin and pumphouse. I use Havahart traps and take the squirrels for a Gladiator cruise to their new homes about 8 miles farther up the mountain.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Varmints do seem to love that cover on the battery. For awhile, I was cleaning newly-constructed mouse nests off it almost every day. A few months ago, I found a dead mouse on the front passenger seat...no idea how it got in. Everything was locked up tightly. After I lock my cats in the cabin at night (have coyotes, bobcats and mountain lions that savor cats), I set mouse traps by the wheels. I haven't had any more nests atop the battery, or anywhere else that I know of, since I started setting the traps. The wheels are their highways. The traps work well as a fatal roadblock. As for squirrels, I have problems with them digging under the cabin and pumphouse. I use Havahart traps and take the squirrels for a Gladiator cruise to their new homes about 8 miles farther up the mountain.
Exactly right on the mice using tires as ladders/stairs. After a light snow you can see the mousey tracks on the tires, up and over.

I keep the cats in due to the coyotes here as well - Yawnie came in with deep puncture wounds, one on each side of his neck. Vet said it was something with fangs and large enough to get around the neck. Didn't notice the wounds until he was on my lap cleaning one evening and I noticed his neck was wet where there was no way he could reach with his tongue - I separated the fur there for a closer look and saw the deep hole seeping. Vet found the one on the other side. He's fine but no way he's ever going out again.

It's the chipmunks that cause the worst damage here aside from the mice - they can dig under retaining walls and basements and I've read reports of them causing walls to collapse, one lady spent over 10 grand getting repairs done due to the chipmunk digging.

Then there was the ground hog/wood chuck that tunneled along the basement wall until he could get under the basement floor (walkout basement) - we had a trapper come out and get him - but he also caught other varmints trying to use the same hole - possum and other stuff.

uplandgunner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Found this back in January.
IMG_3821.JPG

And this today after reading this thread
IMG_3932.JPG

IMG_3934.JPG

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I will add damn birds will try nesting under hood too if you don't watch for it. I popped the hood yesterday and found red wasp trying to build a nest at the air intake for air filter inlet.

Punkngladiator

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma gone soon 2020 gladiator on its way
It’s still minus -36 C here with the windchill that’s the last thing I have to worry about

Sponsored

MYWIFESJEEP

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JEEP GLADIATOR SPORT CUSTOM
Vehicle Showcase
So I found a dead field mouse under my backseat today. I have only had the truck a month and drive it everyday. It is starting to get cold out unfortunately.

Now I have to find where he came from:headbang::headbang: Hard top on, haven’t had the door off at all. I’m thinking maybe the vent in the back of the truck.

Any ideas where he would have gotten in and ideas how to keep them out?
Before turning the rig off put the a/c control on recirculate. You will close an access point for those little critters. Been living Rural for 22 years and it is a little trick we learned. Good luck.

wyodirt

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Secret stuff in secret locations
No more mouse sightings. But I have a new problem i am beginning to hate all chipmunks, squirrels and rodents.

26C93123-6F1D-451E-A2B3-96F1EB40EDC0.jpeg
I had to check if this was my post, I have almost this exact picture. wonder what it is about the battery they like?

z0lt3c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Build Thread
Link
I found a nest today in my cabin air filter. JT has 189 miles and I've been driving it everyday since I got it about 2 weeks ago. Initially noticed the odor and it took a few attempts to eventually locate the nest. I had to drop/break the glovebox and then turn on the HVAC to open the interior vent so I could see it. No idea how that chamber was accessed, if something got in through the cab or in through something exterior. Aside from a cleanup effort looks like I will only need to replace the filter. I jammed a bunch of dryer sheets in there for now.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
I found a nest today in my in cabin air filter. . I jammed a bunch of dryer sheets in there for now.
They love those- no static cling and their mousy smelling lodging gets that fresh breezy smell!
JK - let us know if it works.

z0lt3c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
It looks like the nest in the cabin filter was not the only nest as the cab still has a strong odor. Today I was finally able to get a service appointment and they estimate $1500 to remove the dashboard and disinfect. All this at 200 miles. Jeez. The only good news is that it's covered under my comprehensive policy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cape taco12

Cape taco12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
It looks like the nest in the cabin filter was not the only nest as the cab still has a strong odor. Today I was finally able to get a service appointment and they estimate $1500 to remove the dashboard and disinfect. All this at 200 miles. Jeez. The only good news is that it's covered under my comprehensive policy.
Yikes maybe someone creative can build and sell Jeep mousetraps that Velcro to the battery box and firewall.

OLD BOB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Runicon
Occupation
retired LEO
Leave the hood open.

z0lt3c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
The final cost of remediation was $1900. They had to remove the entire interior including dashboard, center console, seats, carpet...etc. They also found the entire HVAC system had been compromised, so they hard to drain the system, replace the evaporator and filters and dis-infect all the ductwork. They had my truck for 3 weeks and, in the end, it was all covered by insurance.
Sponsored