Tortooga Custom Works

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
I was walking through home depot, about to grab a small turnbuckle and I was distracted by this:
nite-ize-rope-chain-connectors-ncjsa-31-r3s1-64_1000.jpg

and I thought - that should work. (I bought it and forgot to get the turnbuckle! lol)

And it does!

That's with the carabiner/tightner in the middle and the paracord through the eyelet and the rear-most D ring.
It holds it down enough that it can't be flipped, and it is very easy to undo the tension.

IMG_0875.JPG
IMG_0876.JPG

However, some more testing is needed. It's sooooooo hot outside right now I didn't get to really play with the other side.
As in, is one side enough?

Also, you can't just loop around the little bracket (not using the eyelet that is) because then the rope goes too far back and it still can flip up.

I did roll up the tonneau with the eyelet. It was not bad at all. The eyelet will not damage the tonneau - at least I don't think it will.
I could make it the eyelet have a lower profile.
I'm going to do some more playing with this. Maybe there is a way to not need the eyelet?

OP
OP
Tortooga Custom Works

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I also think this will work better than the CamJam. It will let me set and release the tension a lot easier... I think....:movember:

I need to find out at the other home depot by my house.

C9L_Feature_00_n.jpg

OP
OP
Tortooga Custom Works

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I ran out again, and it seems like you really need something pulling down on both sides.

I’m not trying to make this Fort Knox, but making it slightly tougher will give me a little piece of mind.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
So I ran out again, and it seems like you really need something pulling down on both sides.

I’m not trying to make this Fort Knox, but making it slightly tougher will give me a little piece of mind.
too bad my jt isn't coming with a tonneau cover. also too bad its going to cost 2x as much as if it came with it.

Sponsored

JP1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Rubicon 4xe
Build Thread
Link

Ralph
you are WAY over thinking this.
just install a Trunk Monkey:

You're welcome. :rock:

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Don't know how I missed this. So how does the desired contraption differ from the front affixation of a Jeep soft top? Doesn't the tailgate open with a key, to reveal the latch?

s-l300 (3).jpg

OP
OP
Tortooga Custom Works

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't know how I missed this. So how does the desired contraption differ from the front affixation of a Jeep soft top? Doesn't the tailgate open with a key, to reveal the latch?

s-l300 (3).jpg
So the soft roll tonneau cover doesn’t actually “lock” when the tailgate is closed and locked. You can pry up the tonneau and get at the red strap that unlocks it and unravels it.

My “modification” simply helps hold it down so you can’t pry it up when the tailgate is closed.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
So the soft roll tonneau cover doesn’t actually “lock” when the tailgate is closed and locked. You can pry up the tonneau and get at the red strap that unlocks it and unravels it.

My “modification” simply helps hold it down so you can’t pry it up when the tailgate is closed.
So running a bar across that last fold, where it touches the tailgate, and using latches to the side, is not possible? You would open the tale gate to access the latches.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Tortooga Custom Works

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So running a bar across that last fold, where it touches the tailgate, and using latches to the side, is not possible? You would open the tale gate to access the latches.
That could work... but there is nothing to latch to...

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
That could work... but there is nothing to latch to...
True... They have some aftermarket for it too, maybe something will complete your design..

roll_n_lock_a_series_retractable_tonneau_cover_locking.jpg

se-tonneau-cover-center-point-lock-2.jpg

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
So yea, we all know that the Roll–Up Tonneau Cover does not actually lock. It's just some weather stripping that holds it in place. With just a little force you can pull it up. Perhaps we're all closing it wrong? If you know how to make it actually lock, please, let us know.

Thanks to @steffen707 for this idea... My first attempt has failed, but, I'm close.
You could do this easily with rope if you know how to tie good knots, and you don't mind undoing and redoing knots.
You could also do this easily with tie down straps... if you don't mind strapping and unstrapping. I'm trying to find something easy and quick, as in, when it comes time to lock/unlock.

I want to do this so I don't have to spend tons on a tonneau cover, at least for a few months. I want to see what else the aftermarket comes up with before I spend $1000+ on something I will get rid of soon.

Here's what I did.

I drilled a 1/4" hole in the rear-most, driver side, bracket of the roll up cover. I put a small piece of wood on the other side of that bracket so that I would not drill through the fabric by mistake.
IMG_0846.JPG

That allowed me to set in a 1/4" eyebolt with two nuts, one under and one over. I did let the eyebolt come out a bit more on the bottom so that the bolt itself does not puncture the soft top.
I think this is the foundation for any fix. So even though the rest didn't quite work, I think this will make whatever else we come up with work...
Of course - it might not roll up right. I have to double check that. I may need to abort this concept entirely...
IMG_0849.JPG

I then used some plastic covered wire rope (3/32" to be exact) and two wire rope clip and thimble sets to make this:
IMG_0859.JPG

Note that one side is a 1/4in x 2-3/8" spring link, that's the side that attaches to the tonneau cover, and the other side, that would go onto the bed's D ring, is a 3/8" x 3-1/2" spring link.

Of course, this doesn't quite work because it permanently locks the whole thing. There isn't enough play in the rope to unclip either end of the link. I thought that would happen, but I was hopping that some finagling would allow it to work. But no dice.
IMG_0853.JPG

Attempt 1 - Fail.... thoughts?
Okay so woke up with a solution. Not even sure if you still have the problem lol. Change out the rope for two half bars. Where the two bars meet, attach a twist handle. When you want to secure it, open the tailgate, grab the handle, twist to tighten, close and lock the tailgate. :rock::jk:

OP
OP
Tortooga Custom Works

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Okay so woke up with a solution. Not even sure if you still have the problem lol. Change out the rope for two half bars. Where the two bars meet, attach a twist handle. When you want to secure it, open the tailgate, grab the handle, twist to tighten, close and lock the tailgate. :rock::jk:
Like a turnbuckle?
everbilt-turnbuckles-807106-64_1000.jpg

Post a picture of the parts you mean. I think I understand...

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Like a turnbuckle?
everbilt-turnbuckles-807106-64_1000.jpg

Post a picture of the parts you mean. I think I understand...
3.jpeg

s-l1000 (19).jpg

Dunno. This may not be it. You could shrink the distance by twisting the handle. But you would need to free the top anyway. If you have ot free the top anyway, then this might help.

s-l1000 (20).jpg

Or just bail and use Velcro shoe laces to cinch it up

BI037-03.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.