Mojave Engine Compartment mess after Riding in Dirt

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
I have taken every vehicle I've ever owned to the manual car wash with the high pressure spray and cleaned them with that. Never had an issue.

Tommyd

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator sport
Occupation
Grounds manager
Hello Folks, yesterday I went out with 4 other jeeps (all wrangles X-me) from the Local Jeep Club. Only 2 of us were shorties (as they call us: Not-Lifted). It was the roughest and wettest terrain I encountered since starting this gig in February...But it was a lot of fun and that is the main reason I got my Mojave - so no regrets.

So I need some advise on how to clean up the water breaching my engine compartment, obviously it came through the hood scoop from water splashing on to the hood (as can be seen by the concentrated mess on the spongy blank thing attached to the bottom of the hood) (please see 2 pictures attached)...I am 99% certain no material amount got into the air filter, I only see a spot or two of stain in the opening. After I left the dirt I got on a highway and drove 70+ miles per hour and she sounded and ran good as always.

2 Questions Please:
1) Is there a way for me to clean the black spongy thing myself at home? Will it come off and will I be able to put it back up in its spot after I hose it off and let it dry? Or do I need to have the dealer replace it?
2) Is it OK to use soap and water on the engine and then hose it off with a light spray (making sure not to get water in the intake? (I have never had to clean an engine before).

Thanks in Advance,
-Joe

IMG_1020.JPG

IMG_1021.JPG

Tommyd

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator sport
Occupation
Grounds manager
Awesome from dollar tree works great too. Don’t forget to wrap aluminum foil around your mass airflow sensor.

Sponsored

KHam

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I have taken every vehicle I've ever owned to the manual car wash with the high pressure spray and cleaned them with that. Never had an issue.
This ^^

While I don't do it very often, I also will periodically take mine to the car wash and just power wash the engine. Soap and Rinse. I've done that for years on all mine as well. Just careful on the electronics/battery areas but the engine itself gets a good cleaning. Every time you drive in heavy rain you're pretty much soaking everything down any way.

OP
OP
joeym7

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2003 Cadalac STS
Occupation
Retired
We have some strange mud here, without using muscle to wipe it off no hose and no pressure washer (even in conjuction with soap) will take the film off (the major stuff will come off though and of course).

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
A quick drive at highway speed or a leaf blower will take care of the areas where water is pooled.

OP
OP
joeym7

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Amazing, he used a degunka, a power washer, but it still came out with a film...I'm pissed, I thought the mud we have here was "special" ;-)...I've seen this a lot with undercarriages, if you don't rub it off power washer or not, the film remains.

OP
OP
joeym7

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Just hose it down. It'll happen every time you take it off road. It's pretty hard to get water in that intake. Don't use a pressure washer, per the owners manual, but you can use a hose. It might be a good idea to cover up the alternator. I used Gunk foaming engine cleaner the last time, and it worked well.
IMG20220620113837.jpg
I finally got around to cleaning the engine....Although I missed a few spots down in the crevasses of the engine, anything Gunk Foamy hit came out really clean - looks really nice again...

The star of the day was the Simply Green though, the black spongy thing under the hood is completely spotless. Both good products

Thanks again Nacho!

Also, I wonder if there is any downside in using Gunk Foamy to clean ones undercharge?

-Joe
Sponsored