First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Broadcast Engineer
I'm not an expert in washing engine compartments but can recommend a few things from experience. Never wash a hot engine! I did this once to an IROC Z28 and it cracked the aluminum intake manifold. I actually heard it crack. Avoid high pressure spray where it might force water where it doesn't belong. This would be things like into the alternator, distributor, electrical connections, any place that water would normally never be able to get into. After washing or cleaning the engine compartment I always start the vehicle right after to make sure it works and runs smooth, then drive it around to let the heat and fan evaporate everything.
Sponsored

Trailman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Obviously these cleaned engines look fantastic. In comparison mine looks like... crap. I'm jealous.

But can anyone comment on the health of the engine? Is this good, bad, irrelevant, etc? I've always been too nervous to do any type of cleaning under the hood. And I've had a Toyota hit 285k before I traded it in... but I wasn't doing snow trails, mud trails, river crossings, etc...

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Here are the shots, they had the right idea, but the tape was too short.
2878A627-13FE-4018-8AD6-DB2484ABEF38.jpeg
BE59012D-2CCB-49BB-9803-6E5B4A82D0FB.jpeg
Mine's like that too. I had them repaint under warranty. Still. It's just going to do it again though.

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
How do you like the trigger 6? What mount did you go for in the cabin?
Hereā€™s the mount. I love the Bluetooth aspect of the Trigger 6 unit. Thereā€™s only one small gauge wire running from the unit under the hood to the switch plate to activate the switches and power the lights that have a soft glow. They could be brighter. The switch panel is magnetic and can be simply removed and used off truck if you want to play with the lights sitting by the fire. The panel takes 2 quarter size batteries. The batteries donā€™t last long as they are on all the time just for that feature. You cant shut them off unless the truck is off. I have the unit powered only if the truck is running. It doesnā€™t need the batteries in the panel to function. Switches are stiff which I donā€™t like but they do take some usage before getting easier. I believe they can be changed out for other types but havenā€™t looked into that yet and wonā€™t unless Iā€™m extremely bored and need something to do.

I didnā€™t have this system in my last truck so all the wiring had to be fished through the fire wall. Not this time! All wiring stays outside.

Jeep Gladiator Engine detailing? 510C39BF-A1A4-4BFF-B513-09C82D284DDB

Jeep Gladiator Engine detailing? 80657B8A-54B4-4884-BC0A-93B414F460B2

Jeep Gladiator Engine detailing? 0E9B71B5-6EEC-42A6-AED5-A1D65FEC906D

Last edited:

Sponsored

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
Obviously these cleaned engines look fantastic. In comparison mine looks like... crap. I'm jealous.

But can anyone comment on the health of the engine? Is this good, bad, irrelevant, etc? I've always been too nervous to do any type of cleaning under the hood. And I've had a Toyota hit 285k before I traded it in... but I wasn't doing snow trails, mud trails, river crossings, etc...
In all my years of washing my own engine bays (38 years), Iā€™ve never had a water issue that caused the engine to not start. The jeep has been no different but the electronics have increased dramatically. I donā€™t have the spray full on or with trigger pulled. The spray is more like half pressure or less when the trigger isnā€™t pulled. I avoid concentrated time around electrical connections and fuse box and quickly pass over the alternator and move on.

Reactions: Mac

Modeldude

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HB Mojave
Occupation
Professional Over Complicator
Mine's like that too. I had them repaint under warranty. Still. It's just going to do it again though.
Eesh, I don't think I would have them repaint the hood, I can see it getting fixed at the cost of broken paint edges at the hood hinge bolts. No thanks, plus as you say it will come back.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Eesh, I don't think I would have them repaint the hood, I can see it getting fixed at the cost of broken paint edges at the hood hinge bolts. No thanks, plus as you say it will come back.
They just re-painted the underside, not the top. The engine facing side.

Modeldude

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HB Mojave
Occupation
Professional Over Complicator
They just re-painted the underside, not the top. The engine facing side.
Yeppers, I figured that but did they remove the hood to do it?

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeppers, I figured that but did they remove the hood to do it?
No clue. But they didn't damage anything. No overspray, no issues resulting. if they didn't, then they marked everything off well, and prepped well.

Sponsored

seven30

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM 6spd, 2001 Cherokee, 1992 Comanche
Occupation
Programer
Purple Power + Power Sprayer (insert caution) + Adam's Back to Black spray if you want really wet look... otherwise Adams VRT for dry shine

Jeep Gladiator Engine detailing? 0E9B71B5-6EEC-42A6-AED5-A1D65FEC906D
I want to re-enforce caution with purple power. I use it to clean disassembled engine parts where I can immediately blast with pressure washer but that stuff is just to corrosive to use on assembled engines much less anything electrical.

Brojave22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
ATC
Still using the 303 product? Its my ā€œgo toā€ as well. Was running it on the tires for awhile. Works great on the spray-on bed liner too.
which 303 product are you referring to?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I've always been too nervous to do any type of cleaning under the hood.
I keep some of my cars spotless under the hood. I've pressure washed (although carefully), used cleaners (safe cleaners) and never had a problem.
Water won't hurt alternators as long as they don't sit wet for a day.
I've been cleaning my engine bays for decades, show cars for a few of those decades.
The key is rinse. Never leave soap or cleaners on things. Cleaners are caustic. (very high pH to break down greases and oils)
I restore auto electric, including alternators, starters and more - the trick is to let them dry, don't wash then close the hood and park it. Alternators can take it. Heck, if you'd see where they are mounted on some cars - like mine........... they get wet just driving. They are wide open, dry out fast, and there is nothing to damage if it's just water. Sand and mud are the problem.

This is a 1982 car with a 1994 engine - and it's been washed many times. You could take a white glove to most of the engine bay when I prep it for shows.

Jeep Gladiator Engine detailing? eng-bay

I pressure washed my 70 Javelin engine bay as well. Again, dry things, do it warm, or even hot but don't hit hot parts with cold water. Warm engines and parts dry quickly.
Don't let soaps sit.

In all my years of washing my own engine bays (38 years), Iā€™ve never had a water issue that caused the engine to not start.
Same here.
I usually wash them when warm or even "hot" (normal temp) though. That means water doesn't sit around.

I've been building engines - and detailing cars for a long time. Never a problem. But like said, don't run extreme high pressure focused into connectors, etc.
I use Simple Green to wipe down wires - removes the grease or oils and it's harmless.

When you show cars, you get good at detailing engines. I usually get perfect scores on how clean things are.
Last time around they couldn't find any dirt or soil on or in the engine bay, or the undercarriage.

And yes, I have pressure washed my Jeep engines.
Sponsored