Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
Sure. I was just interested in basic shock service information and stock parts. Not looking to gain from someones hard won tuning and improvement secrets. I change my own oil too :)

I figure the stock Mojave shocks are ok when new for messing around in a non-competitive environment and just want to keep them working as designed.

OTOH, if I tried a set of expertly tuned and matched shocks I'd probably kick myself for not doing it sooner.
A call to Fox sales and you "Should" be able to get a list of parts within a couple of days. Good chance they wont have every part you need in stock as that's been my problem and they wont let you back order anything........The whole process has been very frustrating.

"Expertly tuned" is pretty subjective. The mall crawler wants something different from the guy desert running and the rock crawler wont like what the towing guy needs! I also cant see how a tuner could really get you "Expertly Tuned" over the phone without a full checklist questionare, corner weights and selling you both springs and shocks. Shock Therapy seems to have a pretty good handle on these needs for the SXS crowd....Maybe they will be able to do the same on the trucks? Imagine being in my shoes $5-6K deep into high end shocks/bumps but its garbage out of the box?

Meeting Fox or Acutune out in your terrain of choice and doing an on site revalve would be pretty cool.........If I lived close to them, I probably would have stepped up to the pay window and gave them a try. Instead I'm teaching myself to do this and will probably be providing this service to my clients who are more picky at some time. I already have a shock dyno picked out.......

I can tell you just going from Evo to Clayton front springs required a complete revalve of my front shocks. OE Rubi springs to 2.5 Clayton's was pretty strait forward till I wanted a little more precise handling in varying conditions.
Sponsored

seven30

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM 6spd, 2001 Cherokee, 1992 Comanche
Occupation
Programer
A call to Fox sales and you "Should" be able to get a list of parts within a couple of days. Good chance they wont have every part you need in stock as that's been my problem and they wont let you back order anything........The whole process has been very frustrating.

"Expertly tuned" is pretty subjective. The mall crawler wants something different from the guy desert running and the rock crawler wont like what the towing guy needs! I also cant see how a tuner could really get you "Expertly Tuned" over the phone without a full checklist questionare, corner weights and selling you both springs and shocks. Shock Therapy seems to have a pretty good handle on these needs for the SXS crowd....Maybe they will be able to do the same on the trucks? Imagine being in my shoes $5-6K deep into high end shocks/bumps but its garbage out of the box?

Meeting Fox or Acutune out in your terrain of choice and doing an on site revalve would be pretty cool.........If I lived close to them, I probably would have stepped up to the pay window and gave them a try. Instead I'm teaching myself to do this and will probably be providing this service to my clients who are more picky at some time. I already have a shock dyno picked out.......

I can tell you just going from Evo to Clayton front springs required a complete revalve of my front shocks. OE Rubi springs to 2.5 Clayton's was pretty strait forward till I wanted a little more precise handling in varying conditions.

Good to know about FOX parts potentially.

Plus 2 on the dyno! Crucial instrument for this stuff.

Id love to see a report on the stock Mojave shocks. Especially after some abuse.

obrianmcc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I recently received some Fox product and it clearly states in the manual ... 50,000 miles Hwy / 10,000 miles Off-road. IMO anyone who spends any time off road can attest that there are too many factors that can effect shock life (or specifically the seals). While 10,000 miles is only approx 1 yr for most ... I personally wouldn't look to service at 10k unless there was an issue. The idea that shock oil (even with today's synthetics) and seals don't degrade is ludicrous given the heat cycles and contaminates these are subject to ... everyone will need to establish a service cycle that is appropriate to their use conditions. For some this might be a year ... for others this might be 3 or 4.

I currently have some stock Rubi shocks that are starting to weep with 30k miles. These have been exposed to lots of dust, winter snow and a few instances of mud (not mudding as I hate mud). I don't expect any warranty on these being under the 3 yr/36000 as they have clearly spent time off-road.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I recently received some Fox product and it clearly states in the manual ... 50,000 miles Hwy / 10,000 miles Off-road. IMO anyone who spends any time off road can attest that there are too many factors that can effect shock life (or specifically the seals). While 10,000 miles is only approx 1 yr for most ... I personally wouldn't look to service at 10k unless there was an issue. The idea that shock oil (even with today's synthetics) and seals don't degrade is ludicrous given the heat cycles and contaminates these are subject to ... everyone will need to establish a service cycle that is appropriate to their use conditions. For some this might be a year ... for others this might be 3 or 4.

I currently have some stock Rubi shocks that are starting to weep with 30k miles. These have been exposed to lots of dust, winter snow and a few instances of mud (not mudding as I hate mud). I don't expect any warranty on these being under the 3 yr/36000 as they have clearly spent time off-road.
Your expectations are reasonable!

I do feel the 10k interval for 50/50 use is insane unless you pound your truck for 5,000 of those miles. I'm at 21K miles on these 2.5's and I'd estimate no less than 6000 miles off road mostly desert. The fluid is starting to get darker....More toward purple than the red is was new. I'm thinking I'll be changing the oil and piston wear bands by year end.

I would think the OE IBP's would be OK till they leak for most users and for the all purpose guys that also play in the desert like me at least 25K. I'm sure heat/duty cycle plays a lot into oil life. I have never had mine so hot that I couldn't touch the body or hose fittings. The Fox red oil is rated for 400°.

OP
OP
yoda13

yoda13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Your expectations are reasonable!

I do feel the 10k interval for 50/50 use is insane unless you pound your truck for 5,000 of those miles. I'm at 21K miles on these 2.5's and I'd estimate no less than 6000 miles off road mostly desert. The fluid is starting to get darker....More toward purple than the red is was new. I'm thinking I'll be changing the oil and piston wear bands by year end.

I would think the OE IBP's would be OK till they leak for most users and for the all purpose guys that also play in the desert like me at least 25K. I'm sure heat/duty cycle plays a lot into oil life. I have never had mine so hot that I couldn't touch the body or hose fittings. The Fox red oil is rated for 400°.
Good information from an expert. Thank you:)

Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
OP
OP
yoda13

yoda13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
F
Far from an expert, but more experienced than most in this area no doubt!
You keep referring to customers, you should add shock rebuilds to your repertoire, professionally. I bet a lot of people with Mojaves and Raptors would send you their shocks.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You keep referring to customers, you should add shock rebuilds to your repertoire, professionally. I bet a lot of people with Mojaves and Raptors would send you their shocks.
Its on my mind, but the shop is so understaffed its not funny! I've been rolling solo for the past 4 years looking for the right candidate. You wouldn't believe how difficult it has been to find a tech in our area that cares about thier work and will show up no matter what the compensation offering is.

OP
OP
yoda13

yoda13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Its on my mind, but the shop is so understaffed its not funny! I've been rolling solo for the past 4 years looking for the right candidate. You wouldn't believe how difficult it has been to find a tech in our area that cares about thier work and will show up no matter what the compensation offering is.
Actually, I have some idea. A friend of mine has a car care business. Getting reliable help that cares is a constant struggle, more so in the last year than ever before.

Sponsored

OP
OP
yoda13

yoda13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
From what you know, the stock shocks on the Mojave should be easily rebuilt by Fox, or a reputable shop, if my hunt turns up one?

Bjeepz

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
This is going too far, it is really just a bunch of speculation that means close to nothing. The rebuild thing is for hard users, which is not many ppl. Taking your Mojave out to a few low speed trails or basic forest service roads is not going to destroy your shocks. Like if you do meth on the wknd you might need more service after than if you smoked some weed....... Or if you drink 100 oz of whiskey vs a 6 pack of IPA's you might need more service........................................................

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
From what you know, the stock shocks on the Mojave should be easily rebuilt by Fox, or a reputable shop, if my hunt turns up one?
Should be a simple service for someone that has the equipment and knows what they are doing.

OP
OP
yoda13

yoda13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link