Mopar winch plate experience?

rickrogan

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Anyone have experience doing a winch install with the Mopar winch plate kit (82215182AC) on a factory Rubicon steel bumper

I chose this option to stick closer to factory and because I've read lots about other winch plates having challenges with the skid plate post-installation.

I've not found any installation videos with the Mopar winch plate. (Lots of solid videos for other winch plates.)

Thanks in advance...
Sponsored

OP
OP

rickrogan

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Given the virtual tumbleweeds rolling past this post, it seems likely that I didn't miss any installation videos that were obvious.

I'll be sure to take good notes and and maybe a few pix when I tackle the installation this weekend. Certainly still open to any tips that are particular to the Mopar winch plate.

Kev Mojito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
I think the Mopar plate is made by Warn. The only problem with the Warn is the skid plate back 2 holes need to ovaled out.

JESmith

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
You have to oval out the rear skid plate holes with the Mopar plate as well. Both plates push the front bumper forward about 1/4 an inch.

OP
OP

rickrogan

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
An update on my experience with the Moper Winch Plate Kit (82215182AC), which I installed this past weekend along with a Warn Xeon 10-S

First, what makes it a "kit" is that it, along with the winch plate and assorted mounting hardware, Mopar provides two additional (approx) 2" crush cans that are attached on top of the existing crush cans and replacement crush can covers that are installed together with the winch plate. (Each crush can attaches with a pair of screws, using holes that you drill into the existing crush cans.)

These are not required for the winch to be mounted. They provide extra bumper protection because (with the fairlead) the vehicle now pushes out farther.

Here is the crush can cover before (passenger side). You can see it sticks out roughly 2 ÂĽ"

Jeep Gladiator Mopar winch plate experience? OldCover

Now here is an "after" picture (driver side). You can see it now pushes out to a full 4 ½"
Jeep Gladiator Mopar winch plate experience? NewCover

Here is a front view:
Jeep Gladiator Mopar winch plate experience? Gladiator-Front

Overall, this seems like a decent upgrade to help protect the winch. But even with all the extra room, the combination of the "thick" (1.5) Factor 55 fairlead, and the F55 Flatlink, and the rope-guard still stick out just a little bit beyond the crush can covers. (I guess this configuration is kind of a "worst case scenario", if it was regular winch hook or didn't have the rope guard, or even maybe the thinner fairlead, it would likely be back in behind the crush can covers.)
Jeep Gladiator Mopar winch plate experience? WinchTo

The kit also includes a clear piece of vinyl to protect the very bottom of the grill. I installed this, but I'll admit that I didn't follow the super-complicated surface prep instructions. I just gave it a great cleaning with soap/water and then an adhesive remover and then put the vinyl on.

Overall, the winch plate wasn't too bad to install.

Notably, I did NOT have to oval out the holes on the skid plate. It went back on just as easily as it came off.

Probably the key to that was being super-careful that the "ears" on the winch plate that go onto the bumper bolts end up being perfectly flush and flat. This required a fair amount of inspection and adjustment, but it worked out.

As other videos (shout-out to Damon Bungard's great video) have described, with a Warn Xeon going into the factory bumper, it's super tight. And getting the 4 inboard bumper bolts on and torqued was very, very difficult. But it got done.

I had to switch from ½ drive to ⅜" drive sockets (because the ½" was just too bulky) and make a run to Harbor Freight to get an extra set of wobble extensions (so I had two of each length) and then use all sorts of combinations. I'm not a guru wrench turner, so having my sons as extra eyes and hands was needed.

One nit: Mopar doesn't include the nuts for the backs of the bolts where the winch panel cover used to go. From videos, I've gathered that Warn includes those in their kit.

Sponsored

JeepRealtor

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thekashatteam.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition (Bright White), 2019 Ford Expedition Limited Stealth Package (Magnetic)
Occupation
Realtor
I have it, I like it. Had the maximus-3 winch mount first because I got impatient waiting for the Mopar. Nothing against the Maximus-3, but I like the Mopar much more, it’s beefier, we’ll build and more to it.

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
@rickrogan @JeepRealtor did either of you come across a faceplate for the steel bumper, to put between the bumper and the fairlead? I’m not real crazy about the extra couple holes I have around the cut out for the rope...

also, for anyone else, I needed to HEAVILY modify this winch plate to workwith the Smittybilt XRC Gen 3 12k winch

JeepRealtor

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thekashatteam.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition (Bright White), 2019 Ford Expedition Limited Stealth Package (Magnetic)
Occupation
Realtor
@rickrogan @JeepRealtor did either of you come across a faceplate for the steel bumper, to put between the bumper and the fairlead? I’m not real crazy about the extra couple holes I have around the cut out for the rope...

also, for anyone else, I needed to HEAVILY modify this winch plate to workwith the Smittybilt XRC Gen 3 12k winch
Mopar has a plate, that’s the one I am currently have. I previously had the Maximus-3 plate. Other companies make plates as well.

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
Mopar has a plate, that’s the one I am currently have. I previously had the Maximus-3 plate. Other companies make plates as well.
donyou happen to have a link or part number? All I can find is the winch plate kit, which I have. For the life of me, I can’t seem to find the face plate.

JeepRealtor

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thekashatteam.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Realtor
donyou happen to have a link or part number? All I can find is the winch plate kit, which I have. For the life of me, I can’t seem to find the face plate.
I don’t but I know they make two plates, one centered and one off centered depending on which winch is used. Try quadratec?

Sponsored

OP
OP

rickrogan

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
@Deadeye I think that you are looking for 82215528AB (That's the centered version)

Here is a link https://www.allmoparparts.com/sku/82215528ab.html that has a picture.

Off-center is 82215527AB, but the pix of the winch that you mentioned have me thinking you are looking for centered.

Kinda curious about the modifications that are being required for the XRC Gen 3. The Warn was tight, but didn't need any mods.

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
@Deadeye I think that you are looking for 82215528AB (That's the centered version)

Here is a link https://www.allmoparparts.com/sku/82215528ab.html that has a picture.

Off-center is 82215527AB, but the pix of the winch that you mentioned have me thinking you are looking for centered.

Kinda curious about the modifications that are being required for the XRC Gen 3. The Warn was tight, but didn't need any mods.
We had to drill new holes in to the pan. Also to grind down the side mounting brackets in order get a little more space, and swapped which face we mounted it on. Also, on the "tray", we had to grind down quite a bit of the front lip/corners. It was the only way to get it squared up, and is still extremely tight against the grill.

You nailed it on the part number. Thanks. For some reason, I was having no success with the google.

OP
OP

rickrogan

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Wow, that sounds like quite an adventure! Always nerve-wracking to have to take the grinder to something brand new. Happy to help with the P/N. Have fun!

aegiscpo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I just finished the MOPAR winch plate install, haven't tackled the winch install just yet, but I have a question for those who have installed a WARN ZEON winch, which holes did you use to mount it, since there are four holes, just curious which ones you used for a centered winch. Thanks. Hope my question isn't too confusing. I am asking about the holes that are in STEP 11 on the plate.
Jeep Gladiator Mopar winch plate experience? MOPAR Winch Plat

Last edited:

DankjeeP

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR, '98 XJ, '17 FLHXS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
HW Engineer
I just finished the MOPAR winch plate install, haven't tackled the winch install just yet, but I have a question for those who have installed a WARN ZEON winch, which holes did you use to mount it, since there are four holes, just curious which ones you used for a centered winch. Thanks. Hope my question isnt too confusing.
I used the left holes. It seems tight against the grill but you really need to pull the plate all the way forward and it will fit.
Sponsored