Mounted my Fire Extinguisher!

cwieland

First Name
Con
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I spent 18 years with a volunteer fire dept. and your point is somewhat correct. But long-term storage in any position in a vibrating vehicle could cause the dry chemical to become compacted. However the extinguisher is mounted, it is a good practice to remove the extinguisher from its mount once or twice a year and shake it up, invert it, etc. I've always kept mine stored upright in vehicles. If you've rolled your Jeep recently, don't worry about de-compacting the extinguisher for a while.

H3R Performance HalGuard MX250B in Warn's Premium Holder (back seat has been removed):

ext.jpg
I like that setup. What size extinguisher and where did you get the mount?

ABNL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
IMG_6492.jpeg
IMG_6493.jpeg
IMG_6494.jpeg

Here is V1.0 after looking through the threads and at various readymade options. My requirement was to have it readily accessible with either hand, as with my IFAK. This is a 2.5# extinguisher in a fuel bottle pouch that I repurposed from my moto kit. I replaced the purse string closure with 1/4" shock cord which also acts as a retention band around the discharge nozzle. To it I added a pull string that I fashioned from a stainless ring with reflective cord ringbolt hitching. I do like that it sits perfectly in this spot, although with a little fore and aft adjustment interference of the driver's seat. My dislike is that it does take a little extra time and finesse to access than the billet quick release mount I had in my JK.

Sponsored

DiscoDino

First Name
Nadim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 1991 Land Rover Defender, 1983 Land Rover Defender, 2015 Mercedes G Wagon
Thanks cool - I'm gonna look into that!

chuckfinley79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator JT
I spent 18 years with a volunteer fire dept. and your point is somewhat correct. But long-term storage in any position in a vibrating vehicle could cause the dry chemical to become compacted. However the extinguisher is mounted, it is a good practice to remove the extinguisher from its mount once or twice a year and shake it up, invert it, etc. I've always kept mine stored upright in vehicles. If you've rolled your Jeep recently, don't worry about de-compacting the extinguisher for a while.

H3R Performance HalGuard MX250B in Warn's Premium Holder (back seat has been removed):

Jeep Gladiator Mounted my Fire Extinguisher! IMG_6494
20+ years as a firefighter and second what he says. When the fire extinguisher company services your extinguishers at work and put new tags on it most of what they’re doing is putting it in something like a paint mixer to un-cake the powder (they also hydrostatically test them every 5 or 10 or whatever years).

my additional thought on extinguishers would be carry 2 and keep them separate. If the cab is on fire you can grab the one in the bed, if the bed is on fire get the one in the cab...

DiscoDino

First Name
Nadim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 1991 Land Rover Defender, 1983 Land Rover Defender, 2015 Mercedes G Wagon
Tried ABNL's under seat mount and it works "ok" with the Atomic Monkey behind the headrest mount...(had a spare)...I'll get a better sleeve and mount it there...I think it is a spare location and practical...even if you lose a couple of second getting out of the truck and using two hands to pull out...

Also will install one standing up in the bed in the location pointed to...just need to get my nutserts installer from my buddy...

With the Atomic Monkey mount, that makes 3 extinguishers...2 in cab, one in bed...

Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 7.14.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 7.14.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 7.14.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 7.13.58 PM.png

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT shopping
Occupation
Technology
I like the idea of the ElementFire. I'll strongly consider going that route.

My only concern would be that, from their videos, it appears that to use the Elementfire, you have to be much closer to the fire than with a traditional, pressurized extinguisher, doesn't it? Looks like 2-3 feet away for the Element (because of its very low-pressure discharge), vs. 5-6 feet for a traditional pressurized extinguisher?

Regarding mounting a traditional extinguisher to the roll bar -- I would be concerned that it is a big solid chunk of metal located very near to an occupant's head. In a collision, that could be dangerous.

Sponsored

cartbart

First Name
Carter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep XJ, Jeep Gladiator 2021 on order
Occupation
Pilot
I like the idea of the ElementFire. I'll strongly consider going that route.

My only concern would be that, from their videos, it appears that to use the Elementfire, you have to be much closer to the fire than with a traditional, pressurized extinguisher, doesn't it? Looks like 2-3 feet away for the Element (because of its very low-pressure discharge), vs. 5-6 feet for a traditional pressurized extinguisher?

Regarding mounting a traditional extinguisher to the roll bar -- I would be concerned that it is a big solid chunk of metal located very near to an occupant's head. In a collision, that could be dangerous.
Seems like a good mount can negate some of that risk

Hbfieldii

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
USAF Firefighter
Here’s mine. It’s a quick release style. I like it, even though messing with it and tightening down marred my plastic a little bit. But I feel better knowing I have an extinguisher with me now.

C016D43C-8CEF-4CD8-92EE-D7E917158ED3.jpeg

7B82059C-D2FA-449E-91A4-354BF6218F84.jpeg

Membrain

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKURX & 2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
I’m going to order these.

https://elementfire.com/

They’re not cheap but are smaller and perform better than conventional extinguishers.
I’m going to reach out to them and see if they are offering any discounts...I’ll let everyone know if they do.
This is also what I went with - I have mine mounted to the back of the driver side headrest struts.

Sperron

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep ladiator Sport S
I've used a beer from the ice chest to extinguish a fire in my CJ7's engine compartment before. So the lesson of the day is don't waist your money on a fire extinguisher when you can buy duel purpose beer.

Sperron

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep ladiator Sport S
The extinguishers that have the dry chemical in them should not be stored in the upright position in a vehicle. The motion of the vehicle oacks the powder into the bottom of the canister and COULD result in not being able to be evacuated as planned when needed. Just fyi
Why even have a dry chemical extinguisher?! It leaves a total mess and the agent is caustic. It will ruin all the electronics because the agent goes everywhere. I would rather collect the insurance money.
Sponsored