Threads
Reaction score
Website
utahbruteforce.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2009 Ram 3500 CTD, 2001 Toyota 4Runner
Occupation
SVP/CISO
So, I want to mount up a RotoPax 4 gallon fuel-pack up against the back end (nearer the cab) of the bed. Best method to drill holes and ensure I don't stretch that aluminum due to the weight and bouncing around caused by overlanding?
Sponsored

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S, Black 1946 CJ 2A
Get a Molle rack across the back bed, and mount the RotoPax to the molle rack.

OP
OP
BruteForce

BruteForce

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
utahbruteforce.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
SVP/CISO
Great idea on the molle. The best unit out there seems to be from JCR Offroad, but 3+ week backlog? Yikes! Wondering just how similar Toyota Tacoma bed is to the Gladiator and if a Toyota molle setup would work..

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Great idea on the molle. The best unit out there seems to be from JCR Offroad, but 3+ week backlog? Yikes! Wondering just how similar Toyota Tacoma bed is to the Gladiator and if a Toyota molle setup would work..
I just installed my JCR side molle panels. I have a dirt bike, so, I did not buy the front. It does take about 3 weeks to arrive, but, they give you a date when you order and they met my date, so, this was nice. The panels are really nice... I doubt molle panels for a Toyota will have the correct cutouts , etc... . If you do a search on JCR Molle and look at the last post, you will see my installation. Note: It comes with lots of nice hardware.

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, the JCR front Molle rack uses the font tie-down bolts to secure the rack in place, along with the top bedrail bolts, so you need the Jeep JT specific model.
Cheers

Sponsored

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
do you have the bed rail system? if not there are some holes there already. I forget the exact size but I picked up a bunch at Tractor supply for some tie down cleats. You could use these to put the rotopax plates in.

OP
OP
BruteForce

BruteForce

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
utahbruteforce.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
SVP/CISO
So, I just went and bought the JCR Molle setup. Hopefully it doesn't take a month to arrive. Thanks for the suggestion!

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got one of the Builtright side racks, they only mount to the cargo bed rail, and occupy space on the rail, restricting your tie down cleat movement. Also the included hardware was undersized, 3/8-inch mounting holes with 1/4-inch bolts and tints designed for a much smaller rail, all black coated steel, which will rust.

JCR uses correctly sized fasteners, which are stainless steel, and the racks seem to be better constructed with different mounting options that do not restrict the cargo rail system. Anyone wanting two front side racks, I have them up for sale.
Cheers

BlackDog

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JTR / 2005 Grand Cherokee
I got one of the Builtright side racks, they only mount to the cargo bed rail, and occupy space on the rail, restricting your tie down cleat movement. Also the included hardware was undersized, 3/8-inch mounting holes with 1/4-inch bolts and tints designed for a much smaller rail, all black coated steel, which will rust.

JCR uses correctly sized fasteners, which are stainless steel, and the racks seem to be better constructed with different mounting options that do not restrict the cargo rail system. Anyone wanting two front side racks, I have them up for sale.
Cheers
They definitely made different design choices. With JCR mounting between the rail and the bed (at least that's my understanding of how they mount) you gain more freedom with tie downs. With BRI mounting to the rail the geometry of the rails is maintained. A tradeoff for sure, I went with BRI as I didn't want to run into any issues mounting something else to the rails that was expecting a certain geometry. But if you're going to be using the tie downs and need that flexibility, JCR looks like a great product.

I had no issues with the hardware being the wrong size, and I believe it was stainless. Definitely not black coated steel. And both the front rack and the two larger racks towards the tailgate all have mounting points both on the rail and bottom mounts. The two smaller front side racks (sounds like this is what you have) only attach at the top.

Sponsored

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I stand corrected, the supplied hardware is “bright” finished steel 1/4-inch flange bolts (not stainless, I just rechecked them). The issue I had was you needed to add the 5/16ths washers to get the undersized bolts to hold the rack panels, which works, but looks bad. However, I like the panel hole design better of JCR, and the price was a little better. But the hardware mounting issue was not what it could have been. Builtright could have designed the panels with 1/4-inch holes to use their hardware, which can be upgraded to stainless button type bolts that JCR provides, or provided 3/8ths bolts and T nuts to attach the racks, so the hardware matches the application. I sent Builtright an email about this, never heard back?

On the JCR, I hear you about mounting under the cargo rails and moving them slightly away from the bed sides. The only issue I can think of this might cause, is mounting a rack or topper that uses the rails to mount, and is not adjustable. The advantage of having the rails slightly off the bed side rails, is water will drain out quickly from behind them, reducing any rust issues there the future. Each mounting system has its advantages and issues.

Both companies make a brilliant front bed Molle rack, I like the hole pattern in the Builtright rack better, and since it mounts on the ends of the trail rail, it does not restrict the travel of any accessories, like tie downs, on the cargo rail.
Cheers

Last edited:

rjs-az

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Rubicon, '16 4Runner Trail
Here was my solution. I had a local fabricator water jet me out 4 of these mounting plates out of 1/4" aluminum. I should have had them powder coated but you can't see them as the RotoPax cover them up. It cost me about $15 apiece. Just mount the RotoPax mounts directly to the plate and I have them bolted into the trail rail with some T-slots off of Amazon.

I had holes cut in the 4 corners - the top 2 bolt into the trail rail and the bottom 2 I have a screw that goes trough with a rubber foot that rests against the wall of the truck. If you are just mounting the utility box with first aid kit or trail kit you don't need the feet, but for the water container I wanted the feet to stabilize. Originally I had 3 RotoPax on the back wall. But currently I have 2 across the back (first aid kit and then a utility/trail toolbox) and then a water container on the side near the tail gate.

Sorry the last picture is one I had stock where you can see 3 RotoPax across the back wall as I am looking through the back of the roof rack with the RTT open. I have the .dxf file for it but can't post it to thread I guess :(.

IMG_0502.jpg

IMG_0503.jpg

IMG_0978 2.jpg

Tosches

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Executive
Here was my solution. I had a local fabricator water jet me out 4 of these mounting plates out of 1/4" aluminum. I should have had them powder coated but you can't see them as the RotoPax cover them up. It cost me about $15 apiece. Just mount the RotoPax mounts directly to the plate and I have them bolted into the trail rail with some T-slots off of Amazon.

I had holes cut in the 4 corners - the top 2 bolt into the trail rail and the bottom 2 I have a screw that goes trough with a rubber foot that rests against the wall of the truck. If you are just mounting the utility box with first aid kit or trail kit you don't need the feet, but for the water container I wanted the feet to stabilize. Originally I had 3 RotoPax on the back wall. But currently I have 2 across the back (first aid kit and then a utility/trail toolbox) and then a water container on the side near the tail gate.

Sorry the last picture is one I had stock where you can see 3 RotoPax across the back wall as I am looking through the back of the roof rack with the RTT open. I have the .dxf file for it but can't post it to thread I guess :(.

IMG_0502.jpg

IMG_0503.jpg

IMG_0978 2.jpg

IMG_0502.jpg

IMG_0503.jpg

IMG_0978 2.jpg
Can you please email me your file for the plates you had made? I would like to to that as well. [email protected]. thanks

adammeyer63

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Old thread I know. Made this mount out of some aluminum laying around. Works well.
D4A3A699-F00B-40A6-9A93-1BB7AB0ECB6E.jpeg
Old thread I know. Made this mount out of some aluminum laying around. Works well.
Jeep Gladiator Mounting up a RotoPax IMG_0978 2
Jeep Gladiator Mounting up a RotoPax IMG_0978 2
hello, I was wondering if you still had this set up and if you could give me the lengths of the three pieces? Thank you!
Sponsored