Sponsored

MPG hit with Toyo AT3s 35x11.5x17 with 3.73s??

Garemlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Willys Gladiator
First off no I didn't buy the Gladiator as a fuel efficient vehicle. But MPG is a legitimate concern with ever rising gas prices. Every MPG helps.

So I see the Toyo AT3s in 35x11.5x17 are a pretty popular size on the Gladiator. Just wondering how much of a hit you took, if any, on your gasser Gladiator with 3.73 gears.

I currently get 18.5-20 running Kenda Klever AT2s in 285/70-17 local driving. They weigh in at around 47lbs. The Toyos weigh 63lbs from what I have seen.
Sponsored

Painkillerspe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I will have 35/10.5/17 installed soon with 3.73. I can report back on my results. The lift I put on already ate up 1.5 mpgs. Getting around 17 now.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
I saw about a 5mpg hit going from the stock Bridgestone tires to Toyo AT III 34x11.5x17 and the same with Kenda 35x10.5x17s. Stock was about 23 in mixed driving, now at around 18mpg, have 22k on my JT.
I have 4.10s though not 3.73s.

Sponsored

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
I'm bout the same, maybe -4mpg. 22ish factory tires, 18ish w 285/75r17 (34") and 4.10's.

I saw about a 5mpg hit going from the stock Bridgestone tires to Toyo AT III 34x11.5x17 and the same with Kenda 35x10.5x17s. Stock was about 23 in mixed driving, now at around 18mpg, have 22k on my JT.
I have 4.10s though not 3.73s.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gearing down (higher numerical ratio) will NOT help fuel economy. The engine will rev higher in top gear which will hurt highway fuel economy.

This may even out if you aren't currently even running in 8th on the highway. But the bottom line is that the slower the motor is turning at a given speed, the better your fuel economy is.

Engineers and manufacturers work to balance this fact with the need for decent acceleration. If all you cared about was fuel economy, you would be geared to run at full throttle at something like 1300 rpm when you were on the highway.

Jerhemi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting-Gray Willys
Gearing down (higher numerical ratio) will NOT help fuel economy. The engine will rev higher in top gear which will hurt highway fuel economy.

This may even out if you aren't currently even running in 8th on the highway. But the bottom line is that the slower the motor is turning at a given speed, the better your fuel economy is.

Engineers and manufacturers work to balance this fact with the need for decent acceleration. If all you cared about was fuel economy, you would be geared to run at full throttle at something like 1300 rpm when you were on the highway.
My joke was more about people who insist you need to re-gear when running 35"s on 3.73.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My joke was more about people who insist you need to re-gear when running 35"s on 3.73.
I wasn't really replying to you. Just the general belief that occasionally pops up that if you put bigger tires on you can get some of the fuel economy back by re-gearing. You can't. You may get some of the performance back though.

Sponsored

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
I wasn't really replying to you. Just the general belief that occasionally pops up that if you put bigger tires on you can get some of the fuel economy back by re-gearing. You can't. You may get some of the performance back though.
I regeared a TJ from 3.07 to 4.56 and picked up 2 MPG.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
You can and it has been stated many times on this forum.
What tires are you running on your JT and what other Jeeps have you had and changed tire size and gears on?

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can and it has been stated many times on this forum.
What tires are you running on your JT and what other Jeeps have you had and changed tire size and gears on?
Jeeps obey the same laws of physics as every other vehicle. Turning an engine faster almost ALWAYS results in a higher specific fuel consumption. (gal per hour per hp) The crux of it is whether the motor in the vehicle makes a given amount of power with less fuel by running higher manifold pressure (more torque) and fewer RPMs in a higher gear
or by running lower manifold pressure and higher RPM with lower gearing, it needs to make a given amount of power to move the vehicle down the road.

Why do you think that manufacturers keep putting higher and higher (lower numerically) final drive ratios in vehicles? Its to get better fuel economy. Putting bigger tires makes the gearing taller because the vehicle travels more distance for a given revolution of the tire.

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
I know I lost about 5 mpg going to a MT tire so when these are done all will go back to a AT type

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know I lost about 5 mpg going to a MT tire so when these are done all will go back to a AT type
Wow. Was that just a change from AT to MT or did you go up in size.?
Sponsored