First Name
Ernest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Physician
I used to have a shop. But it burned up in a wildfire. So now I live in an apartment and only have a few power tools available. But I wanted a partition for my bed from which I could hang an axe, a shovel, a fire extinguisher. And a few wrenches that I commonly use on the truck. All towards the back so I can reach them quickly in an emergency. I also wanted it high enough that I could use the partition and the front to the bed (where you can lay a 2x4 across) to carry long objects flat. So I built this. 3/4" plywood, covered in headliner (carpet) with the sides having 1/2 plastic mounted to give a tight fit at the area it slots into the sides of the bed. I finished the edges with channel moulding. I haven't finished yet but I thought I'd post a few pictures so anyone who liked the idea could make their own. Over the next few weeks I will be buying a shovel, an axe, a fire extinguisher, and a pry bat to mount. I haven't decided on mounts but I think I'm going to look for something different than the Quick Fists.

Sorry for the poor contrast on the bed mounted picture.

20220905_122501.jpg

20220905_122756.jpg

20220905_123112.jpg
Sponsored

NHyde

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
IT Manager
Clever and looks good, which is a huge positive.

Ohio JKU

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
Occupation
PM Construction
Looks good!

Advntrbound

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
I'm digging this. Great idea about using it attach tools. I may just steal the idea!

OP
OP

Vanishing Point

First Name
Ernest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Physician
I'm digging this. Great idea about using it attach tools. I may just steal the idea!
Well if you have any questions just ask. There are reasons I made the choices I did building this from the 3/4 plywood (lighter than 2x12's stacked and the gutter moulding was available to trim the edges in 3/4 inch size) to choosing the HDPE plastic as bumpers (soft enough and slick enough not to mar the bed but resistant to wearing). It would have been easier if I had a shop especially working with the HDPE which I could have cut more precisely with a miter saw or a table saw thereby spending a lot less time sanding it to shape. Cutting things precisely with a handheld jigsaw isn't easy. Especially when the tailgate of the Gladiator is my workbench

The negative is that that long a 3/4 sheet of plywood is a little flexible. Especially just secured at the bottom corners. That could be improved by running a 1/4" by 2" stringer on the backside but I think once I mount the shovel across it the hard mounted shovel will add sufficient rigidity for my liking. But I certainly did not want to lift something too heavy in and out of that slot. Which making it from 2x12's would have been too much for me to remove it without cussing.

Sponsored

Camaroboi13

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 XJ Pioneer, 17 WK2 3.6, 18 JLU 3.6, 22 JTOD 3.0
Occupation
LEO - Life in Chino
Nice work on the divider, sorry to hear about the fire. I'm sure you're getting lots of smoke and ash from the fire just north of you.

Can't help but notice... physician... Susanville... CCC or High Desert?

dfreezy

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator High Altitude
Looks like commercially made one, well done!

Snake Eyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S Max Tow, 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I just use a racheting cargo bar. Easy to move and change height according to needs on differing trips. Sturdy.

I keep things in bins etc and not loose so nothing is going to slide under it. If I really was worried about loose items, I would get two bars and put a cargo netting between them. You can also buy mutiple bars and separate the bed into two, three or 4 areas, whatever you want.

Ijust love the versatility in being able to set them anywhere within the bed. I currently have it set near the tailgate for quick grab items that I keep in bins, such as tire repair, etc. Might get another.

I am OCD that way.

https://www.harborfreight.com/ratcheting-cargo-bar-96811.html

OP
OP

Vanishing Point

First Name
Ernest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Physician
Well, I said I'd be back with up dates. There is still some room for some small items but the big items are about all I can fit.

Shovel
Fire Axe
3/4 inch drive breaker bar
13 mm ratcheting wrench

The 13 mm wrench is important because it is what I would use to connect the positive lead from my winch to my battery when I use the winch. So I like to have it easy to find.

The 3/4 inch breaker bar for when your lug nuts just won't budge. I have a socket for the lug nuts in the tool box

20221120_154333~2.jpg

20221120_155528~2.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP

Vanishing Point

First Name
Ernest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Physician
I just use a racheting cargo bar. Easy to move and change height according to needs on differing trips. Sturdy.

I keep things in bins etc and not loose so nothing is going to slide under it. If I really was worried about loose items, I would get two bars and put a cargo netting between them. You can also buy mutiple bars and separate the bed into two, three or 4 areas, whatever you want.

Ijust love the versatility in being able to set them anywhere within the bed. I currently have it set near the tailgate for quick grab items that I keep in bins, such as tire repair, etc. Might get another.

I am OCD that way.

https://www.harborfreight.com/ratcheting-cargo-bar-96811.html
Not a bad choice and I still could use those in the front part of the bed for my tool boxes or even the rear part of the bed when I get some water containers to carry. Do you think they are sturdy enough to keep a 5 or 10 gallon Igloo sports water container from shifting around?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Some of us PREFER the DIY solutions. There's satisfaction in solving a problem and not just tossing money at it, or buying commercial.
There's the "I made that" or "I solved that".
It's like all of the JC Whitney chrome crap at a car show compared to a restoration that took a lot of effort and research.
Anyone can buy something and toss it in, no thought, only takes money.
To me part of Jeep is the "I did that" thing.
I walk right by the catalog solutions, but will spend a lot of time around the personally made solutions. The owners are more creative, IMO.
Well done. looks nice.
Sponsored