Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
  • Banned
So my current situation is im paying for two different vehicles (one for me and one for my wife) and I never liked the vehicle I drive (was a hand me down when wife wanted something different). My wife and I are starting to hit bottom and go separate ways so all of a sudden she decides to go get a car in her name finance it herself and get her own insurance so now I'm stuck with two vehicles that I don't want. I pay 530 bucks a month between both vehicles and im still nowhere near where I can afford a gladiator at the moment. My thought process is trade both vehicles in for a nice used wrangler sport and drive it around until my credit rebounds and I can pay off more bills. My first question is would I be able to find a 2017 to 2019 wrangler sport for around 500 a month used? Secondly what should I look out for like engines things prone to be bad. Bad wrangler years ect. I've studied the jt ever since it came out but I don't have much info on wranglers. Hopefully by fall I can trade it in and get the exact gladiator I want. Thanks in advance
Sponsored

Professor_Chaos

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bmw x4, bmw 330xi, jeep Gladiator willys
Occupation
Homemaker
I feel for you. Best of luck. The questions you asked I can't answer and the ones I can you didn't ask so I won't.

I'll just add, if you keep your options under control, getting a JT @ 500 a month should be doable.

Eta: if your credit is insanely f@#ked... and you just can't... my advice, forget $500 payments in a wrangler or anything, no offense but you can't afford that... fix your credit then buy something fun.

Find something that would be paid for by trading in the 2 other cars or the most affordable, used, good condition, economical car you can pay for in cash.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rex3rd

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
  • Banned
I feel for you. Best of luck. The questions you asked I can't answer and the ones I can you didn't ask so I won't.

I'll just add, if you keep your options under control, getting a JT @ 500 a month should be doable.

Eta: if your credit is insanely f@#ked... and you just can't... my advice, forget $500 payments in a wrangler or anything, no offense but you can't afford that... fix your credit then buy something fun.

Find something that would be paid for by trading in the 2 other cars or the most affordable, used, good condition, economical car you can pay for in cash.
My credit is around 700 right now so it's not too bad but I know it would drop when I traded them both in so I plan on keeping whatever I get for 5 months or so and trading it in for a jt .. your right if I am trying to pay off bills I need to find something with lower payments so I can pay more stuff off. A low milage charger challenger or mustang would be fun to cruse in for awhile.

Professor_Chaos

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bmw x4, bmw 330xi, jeep Gladiator willys
Occupation
Homemaker
Why should it drop to trade them in? It should raise, paying off two auto loans and closing the accounts in good standing, is good for your credit.

I can't tell you what to buy, those do sound fun. I don't know your situation obviously but from what you shared, I'd be looking at no payments.

I drove a 92 chevy astro from 10-14... it had 250k+ miles, smelled like french fries and cost me $500. Ran well (relatively speaking)and was cheap to keep running. Sold it for $300.

Insurance was dirt cheap as well. I could of afforded a new car at that time but it was more important to me to clear out debt and stack up savings.

Like I said, don't know ya or whatever but from what you shared, I think the move is... solid plan, head down, work hard, stack cash, win.

Again though best of luck to ya. You'll figure it out one way or the other. Feel free to pm me or whatever.

OP
OP
Rex3rd

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
  • Banned
Why should it drop to trade them in? It should raise, paying off two auto loans and closing the accounts in good standing, is good for your credit.

I can't tell you what to buy, those do sound fun. I don't know your situation obviously but from what you shared, I'd be looking at no payments.

I drove a 92 chevy astro from 10-14... it had 250k+ miles, smelled like french fries and cost me $500. Ran well and was cheap to keep running. Sold it for $300.

Insurance was dirt cheap as well. I could of afforded a new car at that time but it was more important to me to clear out debt and stack up savings.

Like I said, don't know ya or whatever but from what you shared, I think the move is... solid plan, head down, work hard, stack cash, win.

Again though best of luck to ya. You'll figure it out one way or the other. Feel free to pm me or whatever.
Before I was married I drove a chevy cavalier with 250k miles with no ac and drank oil like crazy, then I had kids and had to start thinking of a more reliable car with ac. Didn't think of it that way. If I traded them both in for something low it shouldn't kill my credit. See thats why I always ask questions no matter how stupid they sound. I frankly don't care what it looks like as long as it's reliable. I'm definitely not going back to beaters that I was wrenching on every other day to keep it alive

Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Don't trade in. Sell whichever you hate the most, shoot for the payoff amount in negotiations. Don't tell prospective buyers of your situation, you just have more vehicles than you need. If you sell for more than you owe, put it towards principle on other vehicle.

This will lessen your monthly outgo two ways, vehicle payment and insurance.
Now if you can afford to, put any extra money you have each month towards principle when making monthly vehicle payment.

Your biggest credit hit will be when your divorce is finalized and it hits the credit bureaus.
Don't go nuts with credit cards or anything else that requires credit. It's a slow road, but you can build it back up.

Don't be in a rush to buy a new vehicle, they'll still be making them every day and your tastes may change.

Good luck and keep forging forward.

Last edited:

Dawg Fan

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 80th Anniversay Gladiator
You should be able to find a place like Carmax that will buy one of your vehicles and get you out from underneath one of the notes. Provided you are not upside down! Heck maybe even both.

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
A few points to go by.
1. Dont trade to a dealer. You can usually get more if you sell your self.
2. Dont buy from a dealer. You can generally find a better deal from an individual.
C. You will never improve your financial situation doing a lease so wipe that off the plate.
4. Find a physically clean car from an individual. If they took care of the interior then they probably did all the required maintenance. Look for clean details like clean door jams and clean under the hood.
F. Any of the Jeeps in the 2013-2018 will have the 3.6 engine so it will be pretty solid.
6. Enjoy yo Jeep!

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
vroom.com has best every single dealers trade in offer. They best Carnac by several thousand.

I am not affiliated with vroom, just got me good $$.

on my jt,the dealer got within $800 of vroom. I did trade to dealer as I came out ahead on my jt purchase as it lowered tax by more than $800.

BLK74

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pilot, Corvette
How much is equity do you have in the vehicles? Based on the circumstances, now is not the time to assume new debt. Get rid of one and use equity toward debt. Start paying off one card at a time and stay disciplined with unnecessary expenses.

Sponsored

IamAlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Snazzberry Willys
Occupation
Retired
How much is equity do you have in the vehicles? Based on the circumstances, now is not the time to assume new debt. Get rid of one and use equity toward debt. Start paying off one card at a time and stay disciplined with unnecessary expenses.
^^^^ THIS!!! ^^^^

Oh, and get yourself an attorney right effing now!

^^^^ AND THIS!!! ^^^^

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I will tell you what I would tell any close friend and that is to just forget about getting any Wrangler or Gladiator until you get your divorced settled and finances in shape.

I would suggest trading in both vehicles and get one that makes the most fiscal sense even if it means driving an economy type car and sock your money away and come back around another day after the divorce is settled and then reconsider getting back into a Wrangler/Gladiator.

Also, just because your wife got a new vehicle all on her own in her name, it is still a joint debt/asset and you need to make sure any divorce settlement has her carry that with her in any decree.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
See if you can private party sell one of them and hold the other till everything settles.

Or maybe even trade in on something cheap or that the equity would get you like a used prius. They are cheap to maintain, fill up, and reliable. Once everything gets back in order and you have saved up a nice down payment look at the JT. The JT is what you really want I would not take on another Jeep as a temp option, having something cheaper will get you to your goal a lot quicker.

Deleted member 43264

My two centabo's, do some research and gather information. See what the dealership would give you on trade in for both vehicles and put that up against buying one vehicle, maybe even a Gladiator. With the 2022's coming out you'd definitely find a used 2020 or 2021 that is less than a brand new Gladiator, not to say it'll be cheap, but cheaper.
I financed a 2021 Willys with zed down and pay just under $700/mo. So it's doable. If you still plan on going the used Wrangler route, you can find one, but your monthly will depend on your credit.
In either case it also doesn't hurt to go to a credit union or bank before going to the dealership financing to see how much of a car loan you could qualify for and I do think they take in consideration trade-in's you might have when determining if you qualify and how much.
All part of the research.

Anyways good luck and keep us posted.
Sponsored