My JT-Rubicon deal just fell through...

PastV1

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave Hydro Blue soon, 2014 Highlander
great advice here - really it comes down to timing. I need a truck, and i want a manual gladiator. So few around that i cannot easily sell my truck and wait it out. it seems like there are a lot more manuals out near CO than there are in the southeast.
if you can wait a few weeks while you order one you can save huge! Gupton Motors in Nashville has up to 8% under invoice. 6% dealer plus 1% Tread Lightly plus 1% for financing thru them.

I ordered mine 10/06 and all is smooth so far. The wife and I will fly up to get it and the. Head to Gatlinburg for a few days. Search Gupton On this site. Daniel has been great so far.

Keith

edit: here is a google doc price list for the gladiator. MSRP and Invoice
Sponsored

Last edited:

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I went in to sign for it, and the local dealer told me "we wont honor the trade in value we gave you, the guy who quoted you that no longer works here and I'm only willing to give you X amount." and then offered me 6k less for trade in than they had agreed to.
Used to be fairly common scam. Maybe still is.

PastV1

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave Hydro Blue soon, 2014 Highlander
Not sure why just the link didn’t paste. The doc is in a pricing thread.

CMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT, Toyota Highlander, HD FLHRC and FLSTSCI
Occupation
Professional Aviator
Which dealer was this? I am in Tampa and want to stay away from that one...
Yes, every last unscrupulous dealer, everywhere, needs to be called out for all to know.

That is how the free market really works: if someone wants to welch on a deal, then someone ain't gonna bE in business for too long.

Frogwopp

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi JT
Give New Smyrna CJD a try. Bought my JT there, easiest and best experience from a dealership. I worked with Chase Firestone. He'll at least give you straight answers.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Xxtavixx

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Well, I signed for a JT yesterday. I reached out to a few of the dealers posted here. Availability and avoiding ordering were the biggest component. The most transparent was Gupton who was flat out $500 over invoice.

The dealer i can been working with agreed to a deal that was almost as good as my original deal. I am really hoping i do not regret going with them, but seeing as the gladiator is getting delivered Sunday and i have everything signed and in writing I am feeling OK.

i did order 35’s ;)

Tapped_Out

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Military
So, things progressed. We find another Gladiator Rubicon that has different options that I was willing to accept. I went in to sign for it, and the local dealer told me "we wont honor the trade in value we gave you, the guy who quoted you that no longer works here and I'm only willing to give you X amount." and then offered me 6k less for trade in than they had agreed to. I ended up walking away with my current truck.

What a rollover coaster of fails.
Sadly, everything you're describing is perfectly normal if you're willing to play the victim. From my experience, you'll never, ever get a good deal if the vehicle has to be transferred from one dealer to another, unless the selling dealer owns that dealership too.

I just did two tough deals. I had dealers offering me $10k under KBB for my Vette and $11k under KBB for a mint Golf R. I kept shopping until I got KBB and a discount off MSRP. Long days, but it paid off.

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubi, '03 BMW Z4, '20 Mitsu OutSport
Occupation
Software Developer
6k/8k variance for trade value? wow, what states are doing this? pretty much gives dealers a bad name, I've never had an experience like that in the upper midwest

DunnMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I worked with a local dealership to get a JT-Rubicon from another dealer that is not so local. We had struck a deal, and they initiated the transfer. The other dealer denied the request, they wanted the other dealer to pay over MSRP, despite it being listed for sale as 4.5k under MSRP - which effectively shut my deal down. I was willing to pay the listed price.

I called the listing dealer trying to understand, and they said as much. They ran my trade in and offered me 8k under what the local dealer was willing to give me, so there's no deal there either. Is this normal? It really sends a bad message.

@JeepCares
The same thing basically happened to me. I ended up ordering exactly what I wanted and while it sucked that I had to wait 3.5 months, I'm so glad I got the JT I wanted with no compromises.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I ended up ordering exactly what I wanted and while it sucked that I had to wait 3.5 months, I'm so glad I got the JT I wanted with no compromises.
Ditto, 4.5 months, but sooo worth it.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Xxtavixx

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
6k/8k variance for trade value? wow, what states are doing this? pretty much gives dealers a bad name, I've never had an experience like that in the upper midwest
Trade in game is rough. left pocket and right pocket, and pad the numbers.

We kept my trade in at 34k, let me take things off my current truck, and I got a number off invoice that I probably shouldn't post because I don't see them replicating the deal. I ran it past another dealer, they said it's an ugly deal. They screwed up and they're trying to fix it.

sirphenergan

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited, 2018 Jeep Compass Limited, 2020 Sting-Gray Rubicon Gladiator
Your best bet if you’re in FL is to call Travis at Tri-City Jeep in Eden, NC... have him order exactly what you want, and get the best damn price around.
My $0.02
Their dealer is a sponsor of the forum if you search for them.