First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator mojave
Occupation
Foreman at Union Pacific
I think my short trips are whats getting me. That was one reason I didnt get diesel I knew those were bad for them. Its crazy the mpg difference between the models. People towing are getting better than what I am getting taking it easy. I just dunno.
One variable not mentioned is the fact we do not know how much ethanol is blended in our gas. I assure you E85 gets about 30% less mileage than pure gas. Had a friend pay to convert two older fords cause they had a plant in his town. Same exact cost when you did the math. He was out about $1400 for the two conversions according to him.
Sponsored

ryandoubleu

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Occupation
Project Engineer
If you’re concerned about mpg then wait for the plug-in Hybrid. My Rubicon Diesel would only get 24 mpg stock and on 37s with a 2.5” lift I’m at about 21.5.

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
I have never used fuel mileage projections as a buying guide. All I care about is having enough fuel on board to get back from where I went. Now, where did all of those pesky electrons go to?

Gruffid

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L; 2021 JTR EcoDiesel
Build Thread
Link
I have a JTRD with a 2” lift and stock 33” A/T tyres. I average 24-25 mpg with about 75/25% highway to city driving in low elevation, relatively flat terrain (not Kansas flat, but still). I’m not sure where you’re getting 27 mpg, unless you’re talking about the lighter models with smaller tyres.

Additionally, the fuel tank on diesel models is just over 18 gallons. Smaller tank size x higher fuel economy = about the same range per tank as the gasser models …. About 400 miles per tank for me (again, I’m more highway biased driving), and that lasts about a week per tank.

No one makes an extended range tank for the diesel gladiator yet, but you can get one for the gasser. And you can’t use the gasser one in a diesel.

Also, you have to figure in the cost of DEF. that’s a 5 gallon tank too that has to be refilled about every 4K miles

Last edited:

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
One variable not mentioned is the fact we do not know how much ethanol is blended in our gas. I assure you E85 gets about 30% less mileage than pure gas.
So a 15% blend looses 30% on mileage. It still requires X amount of power to accomplish Y amount of work. Kind of a shady way of covering up increased gasoline consumption. Next, they will have us believe bottled water is a thing at $1.00/20 fl.oz. ($6.00/gal using the napkin-o-lator)

Sponsored

OP
OP
RavensEyeOffroad

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I have a JTRD with a 2” lift and stock 33” A/T tyres. I average 24-25 mpg with about 75/25% highway to city driving in low elevation, relatively flat terrain (not Kansas flat, but still). I’m not sure where you’re getting 27 mpg, unless you’re talking about the lighter models with smaller tyres.

Additionally, the fuel tank on diesel models is just over 18 gallons. Smaller tank size x higher fuel economy = about the same range per tank as the gasser models …. About 400 miles per tank for me (again, I’m more highway biased driving), and that lasts about a week per tank.

No one makes an extended range tank for the diesel gladiator yet, but you can get one for the gasser. And you can’t use the gasser one in a diesel.

Also, you have to figure in the cost of DEF. that’s a 5 gallon tank too that has to be refilled about every 4K miles
even at 24-25 you are 10 mpg over me for fuel that locally costs the same price.
Im not trying to say that diesel is all good and no bad, I'm just thinking it may benefit my style more than the gas. My whole thought was to make this truck sort of the "adventure" vehicle for my family, take some trips get out, unplug see what is out there, ya know? Now sure I can do that in the gas, but im not passing many gas stations and I can more or less forget bigger tires. I really try not to worry about it, even though it seems like I am. My wife's car is gas and we usually fill up at the same time on the same ticket. There isnt anything wrong with reflecting back on your decisions and making sure you didnt miss anything.

Sekgunnut

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator mojave
Occupation
Foreman at Union Pacific
So a 15% blend looses 30% on mileage. It still requires X amount of power to accomplish Y amount of work. Kind of a shady way of covering up increased gasoline consumption. Next, they will have us believe bottled water is a thing at $1.00/20 fl.oz. ($6.00/gal using the napkin-o-lator)
No, we have E85 here which is 85% ethanol. This is the blend I am referring to. I doubt 15% is much of a difference

99ls1tj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4XE
Occupation
machinist
IMO, trying to justify the diesel based on fuel savings while including additional up front and running costs is going to be a losing or break even proposition in 90% of the scenarios. I believe the number 1 reason to buy a diesel is the drivability and the coolness factor.

Tacos

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon ECO Diesel
Occupation
Metal Pattern Maker
on 37s with Banks system. It is real

7A1A1BBC-E4A9-4694-998E-B25546699743.jpeg
Hey, Thank you for sharing what you are getting mpg with the Banks!!!! I was wanting to get it but didn't want to take a huge hut in milage. Now I know I won't... Thanks man!!

Tacos

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon ECO Diesel
Occupation
Metal Pattern Maker
How much should I be getting? I mean elderly people are passing me. 0-55 in like 25 seconds lol
On my stock JTRD I get 25-27 overall average. One 2hour trip at 63mph ( Two lanehighway that went through a lot of towns) I got 27.7 for the trip. A lot of what you get for mileage out of a diesel depends on how you accelerate and where you get your fuel. Kwik Trip. Or Kwik Star in the Midwest is hands down your best diesel fuel!! Avoid BP!!! I've seen as much as a 6 mpg drop by using there fuel...

Sponsored

OP
OP
RavensEyeOffroad

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Best I could manage was coming back from Indiana (oddly towing my small empty offroad trailer).
But I felt like the entire drive was slightly downhill with the wind to my back the whole time.
22 mpg and I was just going easy as heck.

20210815_162058.jpg

Huntinjeep

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1946 CJ2A, 1972 Commando, 2002 TJ, 2005 TJ, 2019 JL
The other big expense is the oil change price on a Jeep diesel, north of $300 every 10,000 miles. It did not seam like a 3/4 ton truck diesel motor and that is why I stayed with the 3.6 gas for my wife’s 2019 JL, 2020 JL and my 2021 JT. It is always fun to compare that you can get with the extras fuel/gas savings. I bough a 2014 Jeep Patriot that we use to call the go cart and flat tow. It cost me less then $100 per month to have the four years we had it so I consider that basically free.

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
My first 4581 miles I averaged 27.5 miles per gallon. Highest one trip average 31.2 had a decent up hill starting at 4100ft up to 8k Downhill to almost seal level. The rest of that trip was mostly flat driving. On the way back. Flat land mostly ran around 28 hit the up hill to 8k dropped to 25 and back down to 4100 and home. Average went back up to 28.7 this was all via the dash board. I did hand calculate some of it during drip and my calculations were about 1.5 mpg lower than dash.

jcrogers87

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Might not be the most acceptable comment around here, but carbon emissions are a "thing". The Diesel might get better MPGs, but you're pumping out more greenhouse gases than gas gallon for gallon.
Sponsored