Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow, Maserati Ghibli, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Sorry to hear this. You have an injector sticking open. Unfortunately you probably have some cylinder scarring due to washing it down with fuel. I would demand them check the cylinder wall before accepting any fix. This same thing happened to me in my eco boost Lincoln. 13k later (thankful for warranty) new engine it was fixed. Whenever a injector sticks open it WILL wash the wall down, removing the thin oil layer.
Thanks for the warning. I’ll definitely ask the dealer to look into it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ygrignon

ygrignon

First Name
Yanik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Time for an update to this saga...

The dealership sent a tow truck to pick up my ride on Monday December 27th or 2 days after the break down described in my previous post. On the 29th, they told me that the flashing check engine light was due to a catalytic converter code. Doing some research, this made perfect sense as the PCM failure was causing a fuel injector to remain open which quite often leads to carbon build up in the catalytic converter. They ordered a new one and installed in on the 31st. This solved the catalytic converter code, but they got a misfire code instead.

Today, January 4th, they told me they ordered a new engine. They didn't find any visible damage to the cylinders but "there is something in there". We'll see how long it takes for the engine to get delivered and installed and whether there are any more issues down the road.

I've owned that Gladiator for 26 days and it has been out of commission for 24 of these days. Looking at Texas lemon law, it will pass the out-of-service test 4 days from now. That being said, with a new PCM, new catalytic converter, and new engine, it's basically a new truck. We'll see if I can rebuild my confidence in this truck. Otherwise, it will most likely have to go.

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
Sorry for all the trouble, sounds like you very much may have gotten a lemon. Hope you get to get on with your adventuring.

Hank_

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Mojave, 1941 Willys
Occupation
Ford and Jeep warranty claim analyst.
I own a warranty processing business that handles factory warranty claims from Ford, GM and CDJR. We take the place of an in house warranty admin for the dealers. We handle 30 dealerships and submit between 4500 and 6000 warranty claims per month. We have worked With Toyota, Honda and others. All manufacturers have these issues. I had a claim where a dealer heard an engine noise, dropped the oil pan, to find the main bearing caps laying in the bottom. They were never torqued correctly during the build. I hope your dealership can get your Jeep up and running like it should. I have had great luck with the dealership that services my Gladiator. I had a Jeep JK Rubicon, Gladiator Rubicon and now my Gladiator Mojave and have had no problems. I look forward to driving it every day. I hope to read later you are having the same experience.

best of luck,
Hank

OP
OP
ygrignon

ygrignon

First Name
Yanik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
And the story continues...

My truck was ready for pickup on Friday. They test drove it for 30 miles after the engine replacement to make sure it was good to go. I drove down on Monday to pick it up.

I literally didn't make it out of the dealership parking lot before the check engine light came up again. I took it right back to the service center and they diagnosed a brake pedal code. They took it out back and allegedly performed a brake pedal calibration to resolve the issue. I drove off for the second time and make it out of the dealership lot this time around.

I made it back home after stoping 3 times along the way including my first fill up since I took delivery back in December 10th. However when I parked it in my driveway it again decided to throw a check engine light.

I don't know what is the issue this time but I'm done with this truck. I wrote to my sales guy to take it back and get me something else that is reliable and meets my needs. So I guess this National Park Sabbatical story ended before it even started. I'm still going to go on my sabbatical but I don't know what the tow vehicle will be. This was my first Jeep and I have been sorely disappointed.

Full timeline:

07/27 - Ordered
12/10 - Delivered - smelled like gas when I got home
12/11 - Check engine - drove back to dealership
12/23 - Picked up after PCM replacement
12/24 - Check engine light
12/25 - Flashing check engine light, limp mode, total immobilization, towed home
12/27 - Towed to dealership
12/31 - Catalytic converter replaced, misfire check engine light after test drive
01/14 - Ready for pickup after replacing whole engine
01/17 - 3:30pm - Check engine light (brake pedal)
01/17 - 5pm - Check engine light (unknown)

Last edited:

Sponsored

Hank_

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Mojave, 1941 Willys
Occupation
Ford and Jeep warranty claim analyst.
That is a major bummer. I hope you would consider trying another gladiator. It is understandable if you don’t but they really are a great truck and fun to drive. Your first one had gremlins for sure but that problem can literally happen with any brand you buy. I believe if you try once more you will be glad you did. Best of luck either way.

Hank

FshnRdnJpnAB

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon. 2005 TJ Rubicon.
Wow....what a terrible experience. Sounds like you were able to take all of the problems “in stride” without getting too upset. If I was in your position I’m sure I wouldn’t want anything to do with that truck at this point.
I hope you are able to get out from under it and I hope your next vehicle is awesome and stress free!

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
Wow, awful. Sorry to hear. The dealer should offer a brand new truck no questions asked. Trust that that vast majority are not like this.

AXISJT

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ Wrangler, Gladiator ecodiesel sport
Occupation
Lab manager
That sucks dude I'm sorry to hear that the moment they would have said they need to put a new engine in I would have said no give me a new truck I would never trust dealer mechanics to do that kind of work.

Are there specific options on the truck that you're looking for to where you couldn't just get another Max tow?
Sponsored